HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 4:07 PM
ハルウララ

There isn't going to be an NHL team in Halifax for a long, long time. End of story.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 4:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

My thoughts are that Halifax might get an NHL team by 2096, when there is a 60 team NHL.

In other words, my feelings regarding the probability of an NHL team in Halifax are pretty similar to the typical Haligonian's feelings regarding the probability of a CFL team in Moncton.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vl@dy View Post
I know, this is the NHL's post, i'm sorry, but :
Is there a soccer team in Halifax?
We have senior Men's leagues - a lower tier than most.

The nearest MLS team (our "Premier League") is in Montreal.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgregor View Post
We have senior Men's leagues - a lower tier than most.

The nearest MLS team (our "Premier League") is in Montreal.

Ah thanks.
Montrèal Impact (the another team is FC Toronto), is the team with my countrymen Di Vaio, Corradi, Nesta, Ferrari ecc.
Sorry for the ignorance, but in Nova Scotia, the soccer is not a sport much follow, right?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 7:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

My thoughts are that Halifax might get an NHL team by 2096, when there is a 60 team NHL.

In other words, my feelings regarding the probability of an NHL team in Halifax are pretty similar to the typical Haligonian's feelings regarding the probability of a CFL team in Moncton.
Framing a comparison of Halifax to Moncton isn't typical for Haligonians. Most people in Halifax don't even know there is an attempt in Moncton to attract a CFL team.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
With a population of around 2 Million in the year 2096 I would hope we could land one a few years before that.

Moncton still won't have matched Winnipeg's current popultation, of course the entire province of New Brunswick doesn't right now either.

No matter what, Halifax is next in line after Quebec City and a 2nd Southern Ontario team in terms of populations and markets that could support an NHL team in the future.

2011 estimates
1 Toronto 5,838,800
2 Montreal 3,908,700
3 Vancouver 2,419,700
4 Calgary 1,265,100
5 Ottawa 1,258,900
6 Edmonton 1,196,300
7 Winnipeg 762,800

8 Quebec 761,700
9 Hamilton 750,200
10 Kitchener–Cambridge–Waterloo 498,500
11 London 496,900
12 Halifax 408,200
13 St. Catharines–Niagara 405,300

The year 2030 could be more realistic.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
TAYLOR: The Nova Scotia Lobsters: Some think it’s not far-fetched

thechronicleherald.ca

January 7, 2013 - 8:13pm BY ROGER TAYLOR | BUSINESS COLUMNIST

After being in the NHL doldrums for so long, now that the league has a tentative deal, it is time for fans to rejoice again.

And, for some Nova Scotians, the contemplation of a National Hockey League franchise in Halifax doesn’t seem that far-fetched.

After all, the latest pact is supposed to help bolster small-market teams.

That fact may have helped boost hope for those who dream of the Nova Scotia Lobsters (or some other nickname) playing in Halifax someday. In an interview on Hockey Night in Canada five years ago, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman even allowed that a Halifax franchise was a possibility.
Read more here

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 11:31 PM
we built this city

All Halifax media is complete rubbish. Never heard this story before... great journalism!

Facepalm.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 12:24 AM

The argument that Halifax could do as well as some Southern US teams actually says it all... It'll take decades more of population and economic growth for a team to be viable here or the league will have to drastically change. Anything else is just wishful thinking.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 12:39 AM

When the NHL contracts to about 16 teams, then maybe I'll bother being interested again. For the last decade or more they have been a nonentity.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:46 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
The argument that Halifax could do as well as some Southern US teams actually says it all... It'll take decades more of population and economic growth for a team to be viable here or the league will have to drastically change. Anything else is just wishful thinking.
Indeed. For Halifax, don't even let an NHL franchise cross your mind until at least 2025.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 5:33 PM

[QUOTE=MonctonRad;5789708]

QUOTE]

By this time, NHL tickets will cost at least $2,000 each and players will make an average salary of $1B.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 2:45 AM

It's never seemed like a realistic possibility before, but consider that the Canadian economy is currently doing much better than the American economy (fiscal cliff?), and further, that the Halifax economy did not take a major hit during the recession the way that many similar-sized cities in Canada did (particularly in southern Ontario), and the city is building not only its international brand, and its reputation as a hockey town, but also its reputation as a place with steady population and economic growth, ensured in part by the shipbuilding contract. Honestly, if there were enough momentum within the community, I believe that we could have a shot at an NHL team within say the next decade. Most haligonians I know would strongly prefer and NHL team over a CFL team, for example. And between Saskatoon, Hamilton/SW ONT, Quebec City and Halifax, I would be surprised if at least two of these cities do not have an NHL team by 2025.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 2:55 AM
ハルウララ

The one problem right now facing this idea is that the NHL is in no position to expand, and as it is right now no teams are up for relocation as the current mandate of the owners under Bettman has been to retain all teams in their current locations (Atlanta notwithstanding). On the topic of Atlanta, if Halifax were to gain an NHL team, an owner would have to be found, and presumably large economic backing via sponsorships or agreements. The NHL is a whole 'nother ball game above the CFL in terms of economics. With that being said, ten years is a long time from now, and that would be the absolute soonest that Halifax would even be considered. In the eyes of the NHL, Seattle, Southern Ontario, and Quebec City are currently ahead of Halifax in the line for NHL franchises. In ten, 15, 25 years, that may change.

Just as Halifax need a new stadium to host a CFL team, a new arena would also be required for a theoretical NHL team. Presumably with minimum capacity of ~16,000, including luxury suites and other amenities.

*Sigh*, if North America had a promotion/relegation system for sports we wouldn't even be having this discussion, as the Mooseheads would be Halifax's hockey team. Presumably there would be smaller teams in Dartmouth/Cole Harbour/etc., and their competing in the NHL would be determined by how strong their fanbase and youth/training facilities are.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Halifax mayor believes city could support NHL team

Halifax Mayor Mike Savage has a serious case of hockey fever.
Now that the National Hockey League lockout is over and the players are back on the ice, the mayor says Halifax could have its own NHL team some day.
While Savage has not officially announced his intent to bring a team to the city, he says the idea has merit.
He believes that instead of just focusing on a new stadium, the city should also consider having an NHL team to call its own.

Read more: http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/halifax-m...#ixzz2JSzoAygu
Video - http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/halifax-m...team-1.1134992

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 3:16 PM

Not likely to happen anytime soon. However, the interesting part of the reprot was that after the Nova Centre is built, the plan is to give the Metro Centre a makeover, including new seats, expanded seating and more boxes. Not sure how they'd do the later two without major structural changes, but it would be interesting to see more details on this.

Last edited by kph06; Jan 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 3:20 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
This just seems like pandering to the masses. As much as I would love to have an NHL team here, I don't see why we are even having the discussion at this point. Until we have an actual transit system that works, and multiple other public infrastructure needs filled (e.g. a stadium, and actual performing arts centre etc) there is no sense discussing this. It will take us a long long time to meet the higher priority needs in this city, in particular given the budget constraints.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Not likely to happen anytime soon. However, the interesting part of the reprot was that after the Nova Centre is built, the plan is to give the Metro Centre a makeover, including new seats, expanded seating and more boxes. Not sure how they'd do the later two without major structural changes, but it would be interesting to see more details on this.
Yeah I had no idea something like that was in the works.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 4:40 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I'd be interested to see how much expanded seating they would be adding. Anything less than 15,000 is not going to land you an NHL team. Given the age of the Metro Centre a new arena would be preferable for the long run, but a stadium is first and we all know the fun that has brought..

Besides, Halifax is still behind Seattle/Portland, Quebec, Hamilton, Markham, and hell, probably Saskatchewan as well. Not in the near or most likely distant future.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 5:03 PM

Once the nova centre is built they could demolish the current WTCC and expand the seating or just build a whole new one all together there
could probably get around 15000 out of that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment