HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 7:52 PM

Bertossi Group to sell four restaurants

From the Chronicle-Herald:

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/bus...ur-restaurants

Quote:
Restaurateurs Stephanie and Maurizio Bertossi are selling their four Halifax culinary hotspots.

The married founders of The Bertossi Group of Restaurants were finalizing details Monday on the sale of La Frasca Cibi & Vini on Spring Garden Road; and Ristorante a Mano and The Bicycle Thief on the Halifax waterfront, and il Mercato Trattoria at Sunnyside Mall in Bedford.

“We will remain involved with menu planning and some other aspects of the business we truly enjoy, but will no longer be tied to the day-to-day side of operations after the sale,” Stephanie Bertossi said Monday.

The Bertossi Group of Restaurants was purchased by Dean Leland, the company’s general manager, and Hakan Uluer, manager of the The Bicycle Thief. A purchase price was not disclosed.

The restaurateurs have been delighting diners in the community since 1984 when they opened La Perla in downtown Dartmouth. Stephanie has generally handled the front office, while Maurizio worked his magic in the kitchen.

About 240 people work for the company.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 8:11 PM

Leland ran a company that sold $7 popcorn that cost 7¢ in ingredients, I don't have high hopes,

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxRetales View Post
Leland ran a company that sold $7 popcorn that cost 7¢ in ingredients, I don't have high hopes,
I don't know about that but I think this is very much a gamble. While the Bertossis say they will consult, these places all very much depend on their hand on the controls and the occasional sighting of Mauricio in the kitchen. I imagine that when the money is in their pockets they will be more interested in drinking champagne, travel, and the good life. They do not have the reputation as being the easiest people to work with so time will tell if this is a plus or a minus.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2014, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I don't know about that but I think this is very much a gamble. While the Bertossis say they will consult, these places all very much depend on their hand on the controls and the occasional sighting of Mauricio in the kitchen. I imagine that when the money is in their pockets they will be more interested in drinking champagne, travel, and the good life. They do not have the reputation as being the easiest people to work with so time will tell if this is a plus or a minus.
Good point, although they stepped away from da Maurizio some years ago. That said I haven't been there recently but have heard it's still good.

But you are right, a restaurant is only as good as its management so only time will tell.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment