HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 6:56 PM

Glass tower looks nice, hopefully it makes it out of the ground.

We can debate the aesthetics and appeal of views til we are blue in the face, but I personally prefer a view of the downtown skyline in the distance versus Joe Blow in the his living room in his boxer shorts across the street. Let's move on.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 6:59 PM

^ I'd prefer that to Joe the Homeless Guy in his boxers masturbating in the parking lot down below! =) Sorry, sorry. Had to.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 7:10 PM

Yeah I got pictures of Unit #11 and #9 from Elleven. Plus the hallways, terrace, staircase, etc.

So sorry I haven't gotten them up you guys, been working for da money as I got to pay for this condo somehow :nuts:

I will get them up ASAP.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlossi
^ I'd prefer that to Joe the Homeless Guy in his boxers masturbating in the parking lot down below! =) Sorry, sorry. Had to.
I agree with that!!! Besides, the Glass tower will become part of the downtown skyline, so what's the problem? I think that all parking lots should be infilled with towers of different sizes... those who want unobstructed views of the downtown skyline should move to the hollywood hills or to the homes near the LA Observatory.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 7:41 PM

^ Exactly LAMG, they shouldn't move into the MIDDLE of a developing Downtown. You don't move into the middle of Manhattan and bitch about a tower being built. You can always move to New Jersey or Staten Island to get the view of Manhattan. Just like you can move to Echo Park or Hollywood to get the full view of Downtown. You don't move into a developing area and HOPE that no new towers are built. SELFISH AND FUCKED UP is what I say!

Furthermore, South Park is not separate from Downtown, and therefore, when all these towers are built in South Park, it will augment the current skyline to the south *duh*. That will provide a wonderful view to everyone around Downtown LA (ie. anyone from Echo Park to Hollywood to South LA to Boyle Heights). Imagine if Downtown development of skyscrapers was STOPPED or hindered because some guy doesn't want to see another guy in his boxers? An entire tower stopped because of something as INEPT as that reasoning?

People, I'd be scared of this NIMBYism forming. I've been hearing it a lot recently. We could potentially get 60 story towers STOPPED because people are afraid of their views being "blocked."

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 7:52 PM

What's your blood pressure right now, at the rate you're going your not going to be alive when downtown gets fully developed. Relax and lets try to stay positive. I THINK YOU MADE YOUR POINT!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franman23
What's your blood pressure right now, at the rate you're going your not going to be alive when downtown gets fully developed. Relax and lets try to stay positive. I THINK YOU MADE YOUR POINT!
Dude, you just don't understand! When someone like come to this board and say "Hopefully another tower doesn't go up on that lot and obstruct the view" it just makes some of us crazy. I am just as wound up as LAB about your comment and we just want you to understand that having a tower on that lot is a GOOD thing. Statements lke your original one are just nuts... that's all.

I'M GLAD YOU UNDERSTAND OUR POINT AND WOULD HOPE YOU HAVE CHANGED YOUR OPINION AS TO WHAT GOES UP ON THAT LOT, CUZ REGARDLESS... IT WILL BE A TOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET USED TO IT:

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 8:13 PM

LA Metro - I can appreciate your point of view and respect the fact that you don't have to personally attack others or use profanity in your posts. Let's just move on to another subject.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 8:17 PM
urbanphile

LAB, I totally agree, however, I would hate for this to put-off our new member Franman to this board and the ideas that we work for. As Franman has made the effort to post on here, let's return the favor by trying to show our views in a calm manner. That way, we can change his mind without him even knowing it! Sorry Franman, hehe! At any rate, if you yell at someone you may cement their beliefs more so. With that said, welcome to the world of city enthusiasts... Careful, they bite!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLA
welcome to the world of city enthusiasts... Careful, they bite!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 8:32 PM

I'm puzzled that any person can live in or vist DT & not feel that it needs a LOT more new devlpt, highrise or otherwise. For example, I noticed all the deadzone parking lots directly south & west of the converted Subway Terminal bldg, or what's now the new metro417 apt proj. To me those sites cry out "hurry up & build something here!!!!" Now if a new large bldg is located there, that will block the views of some ppl who live in metro417. But in the present layout, the area seems semi abandoned, neglected & unsuccessful, & IMO that is a lot worse than a blocked view.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franman23
LA Metro - I can appreciate your point of view and respect the fact that you don't have to personally attack others or use profanity in your posts. Let's just move on to another subject.
Franman, welcome to the board, we are all really nice, including LAB... we just are a bit overprotective our beloved city!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 9:25 PM

Franman, welcome to SSP! we are a sensitive group that is really excited about our ne downtowna nd the future of LA! glad you have a unit in Elleven. Hopefully, ill be down there myself pretty soon. maybe you can take some pictures of the area once you move in and keep us updated on LA Live and the other developments in the area.

Also, whats the timeline for the Glass tower? it looks great and i think that it would be a great addition to our skyline. And werent the renderings for the hearst towers suppose to come out already?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 9:45 PM

Hehe, welcome Franman. People here can sometimes get touchy because DTLA has been in the doldrums for so long that now it's starting to hum it's really maddening to hear anyone suggest that development be held back. You have to remember that the area still hasn't reach a critical mass of residents and that if you want to see the area have the variety of shops, restaurants, and amenities available on the West Side it will only happen with a sizeable increase of downtown residents. That means it's in your best interests to support as many housing projects as you can for the foreseeable future. Anyways, welcome to your new home!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 9:57 PM

if you want a view of downtown without a tower in front of you, mover to a house on the hills.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2005, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty
^ It's idiotic and people like that should stay in the fucking suburbs. Truly Disgusting in my opinion. How can people be THAT stupid? I'm SO SICK and TIRED of repeating to these block-heads that towers are what create the views. Let's take away the Library Tower since it's the tallest building of them all and blocks the most of your views!!!

Let's just leave all parking lots--parking lots--why don't we! That'll make for a fantastic urban environment filled with street life and retail options!
You need to chill.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2005, 1:20 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
Hehe, welcome Franman. People here can sometimes get touchy because DTLA has been in the doldrums for so long that now it's starting to hum it's really maddening to hear anyone suggest that development be held back. You have to remember that the area still hasn't reach a critical mass of residents and that if you want to see the area have the variety of shops, restaurants, and amenities available on the West Side it will only happen with a sizeable increase of downtown residents. That means it's in your best interests to support as many housing projects as you can for the foreseeable future. Anyways, welcome to your new home!
You put it best. The area reaching critical mass is, well, critical for the prolonged success of the area. Franman, when you move in in April (or sooner, hopefully), you'll notice that there isn't a whole lot to do in the immediate area in terms of dining, shopping, dry cleaning, etc. You have more options as you head up to 7th Street, but on the weekend, even 7th Street can seem "closed down".

But if you walk down 11th street right now, you can see that it has the best potential to be a great little retail corridor in the nearest term than most other spots downtown. You have Elleven, Luma and Met Lofts all fronting 11th, with the Packard Lofts one block up with retail along Hope. Larger projects like Glass Tower going up across the block will add density of residents needed to get leases for those retail spots sooner rather than later. This translates into a more lively neighborhood for you to walk around in, more things to do, and more of the services you might take for granted in your current situation.

But back to the topic at hand - the South project - I drove by Elleven on Sunday and saw that they have installed windows on three of the floors along the Grand Ave. side. I'll try to shoot some photos on Sunday when I have some free time.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 25, 2005, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman
Quote:
^ It's idiotic and people like that should stay in the fucking suburbs. Truly Disgusting in my opinion. How can people be THAT stupid? I'm SO SICK and TIRED of repeating to these block-heads that towers are what create the views. Let's take away the Library Tower since it's the tallest building of them all and blocks the most of your views!!!

Let's just leave all parking lots--parking lots--why don't we! That'll make for a fantastic urban environment filled with street life and retail options!
You need to chill.

I think it was you who didn't really like skyscrapers anyway right? If so, you couldn't possibly care about what "we" think.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2005, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman
Quote:

You need to chill.

I think it was you who didn't really like skyscrapers anyway right? If so, you couldn't possibly care about what "we" think.
I do care when posters like you are scaring off new members.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2005, 3:49 AM
BANNED

Chill, people. damn. and i thought I was touchy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West