HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

The One in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 2:05 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Thanks for making this video, and the other images you posted previously. They helped me appreciate how many skyscrapers and high-rises Toronto has (I had expected fewer). Easily one of North America's top five skylines, possibly #3 as someone else said, but IMO it needs a supertall skyscraper, not tower, that really dominates. First Canadian Place is just a little taller than Scotia Plaza and Aura at College Park, and in 2021 The One will be barely taller than First Canadian Place. Perhaps Toronto is just too satisfied with CN Tower, but again it's a tower, not a skyscraper. We are all skyscraper enthusiasts here, not tower enthusiasts. It would be much nicer to have a very prominent skyscraper, which probably would need to be at least 400 m.

Let me make it clear that I am not bashing Toronto. As I said, its skyline is one of the most impressive in North America. What I am saying that it could be even better, by having a supertall skyscraper that really stands out.
Toronto is the most conservative, pragmatic, no nonsense city I've ever encountered. I agree that a 400m tower would look fantastic but nothing that tall will ever get built until land values and demand dictate that it be that tall.

Quite predictably when the first 300m building was proposed it wasn't long before it was joined by a string of proposals 300m+. As the city booms/grows the upper most limit nudges up. I wouldn't be surprised if by 2022 the city started seeing 350m buildings proposed. 400m? That will surely happen but we'll just have to wait.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 12:22 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Toronto is the most conservative, pragmatic, no nonsense city I've ever encountered.
Yet it's still currently building more skyscrapers than any other city on the continent save maybe NYC. The 329 metre Gehry proposal hardly seems conservative or pragmatic at all, and I'd think that the most conservative pragmatic, no nonsense city would hardly be building any new skyscrapers, but that's just me.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks for making this video, and the other images you posted previously. They helped me appreciate how many skyscrapers and high-rises Toronto has (I had expected fewer). Easily one of North America's top five skylines, possibly #3 as someone else said, but IMO it needs a supertall skyscraper, not tower, that really dominates. First Canadian Place is just a little taller than Scotia Plaza and Aura at College Park, and in 2021 The One will be barely taller than First Canadian Place. Perhaps Toronto is just too satisfied with CN Tower, but again it's a tower, not a skyscraper. We are all skyscraper enthusiasts here, not tower enthusiasts. It would be much nicer to have a very prominent skyscraper, which probably would need to be at least 400 m.

Let me make it clear that I am not bashing Toronto. As I said, its skyline is one of the most impressive in North America. What I am saying that it could be even better, by having a supertall skyscraper that really stands out.
Pianowizard, just as a matter of interest, which North American cities would you say might challenge Toronto for #3 skyline on the continent. I imagine you are thinking of New York and Chicago as numbers one and two. I have no argument about that. But who can reasonably challenge Toronto for number three?

By the way, I can look out my window at the Toronto skyline. Though the CN Tower may not be defined as a skyscraper, it certainly is both obviously visible and extremely striking. Excluding it from a skyline would be very peculiar and arbitrary.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
Yet it's still currently building more skyscrapers than any other city on the continent save maybe NYC. The 329 metre Gehry proposal hardly seems conservative or pragmatic at all, and I'd think that the most conservative pragmatic, no nonsense city would hardly be building any new skyscrapers, but that's just me.
I think what isaidso meant was that Toronto decides what to build based on its true needs, so if it needs only 309 meters, then that's what it will build. A couple weeks ago I was reading about the CN Tower on its official website. Naturally there is some bragging about its height records, but the article also emphasizes that the city really needed a tower this tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macallan View Post
Pianowizard, just as a matter of interest, which North American cities would you say might challenge Toronto for #3 skyline on the continent.
In terms of the number and density of tall buildings, Toronto is no doubt #3, as confirmed by Emporis' objective calculations. But I also take into account my subjective assessment of aesthetics, and find Boston, Seattle, Philadelphia and San Francisco to be in the same league with Toronto when each city is viewed from the best perspective. And I admit to having a bias for Boston because I lived in that area for several years. Admiring its skyline while crossing Charles River was a breathtaking experience every single time.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 4:42 AM

Quote:
I think what isaidso meant was that Toronto decides what to build based on its true needs, so if it needs only 309 meters, then that's what it will build. A couple weeks ago I was reading about the CN Tower on its official website. Naturally there is some bragging about its height records, but the article also emphasizes that the city really needed a tower this tall.

In terms of the number and density of tall buildings, Toronto is no doubt #3, as confirmed by Emporis' objective calculations. But I also take into account my subjective assessment of aesthetics, and find Boston, Seattle, Philadelphia and San Francisco to be in the same league with Toronto when each city is viewed from the best perspective. And I admit to having a bias for Boston because I lived in that area for several years. Admiring its skyline while crossing Charles River was a breathtaking experience every single time.
I certainly can’t argue with a person’s “subjective assessment” of skylines. As it happens, I like the view crossing the river in Boston also. With respect to more objective criteria, such as in the Emporis table you link, however, the ranking in North America is pretty clear. Here’s another interesting table from Emporis https://www.emporis.com/statistics/m...ties-worldwide

I hadn’t fully taken in how close Toronto is to Chicago in the high building department.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 6:42 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 7:20 PM

The cluster almost looks Manhattan-like.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 1:51 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
Conservatism has little bearing on demand and the Gehry proposal is hardly representative. We've never had a proposal like that.

Quote:
Yes, that's precisely what I meant.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
The cluster almost looks Manhattan-like
Maybe more Chicago Loop like..

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 1:48 AM

You are disappointing me TO! Over 4 months since the last photo update on Canada's very first super tall. Throw me a bone!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 7:07 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Once this thing is out of it's pit, there'll be plenty more updates. It's going to be a bit slow for now.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 12:39 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Took this today, from my cell phone;
DSC_0043 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr
DSC_0046 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr
DSC_0045 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 12:59 AM

Yes, this one is crawling, but should pick up steam soon. Here's an overhead shot by Benito at UT:

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 1:27 AM

Thank-you GeneralLeeTPHLS & Gresto. You have put my curiosity to rest. I thought maybe they had already poured some footings or even slab. But it looks to me as they are still working on pilings.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
I thought maybe they had already poured some footings or even slab. But it looks to me as they are still working on pilings.
Users on UrbanToronto have said that they need to install 32 super columns which I feel like is supposed to take about 6 months total. Last I saw they had done 24 of the 32.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 4:46 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Today;
DSC_0094 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 11:38 PM

Other than the height, something about the design of this building seems like it was built 20-30 years ago. I'm sure my opinion will change once completed and can see the details, materials, etc.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 10:23 PM

It might be because of the colour. Gold and brown, very 80's but those colours are making a comeback which in a city with almost 100 blue glass buildings u/c is a nice change.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Other than the height, something about the design of this building seems like it was built 20-30 years ago. I'm sure my opinion will change once completed and can see the details, materials, etc.
Actually the execution/engineering of this creature is it's story (documented elsewhere).

Understand buyers/investors are saying "good grief" get on with it lol.

But I guarantee this one of a kind supertall will be built... some day ;-)

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 8:41 PM
(the rascacielo freak)

Reminds me a bit of the Standard Bank Centre in downtown Jo'burg.

My Dad used to work in that building when I was a little kid... 31 floors tall and I thought it was very tall skyscraper. LOL

Still.... look a bit alike, at least the renderings perhaps.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction