HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
This kind of thing is a huge, huge, huge step up from the recent past. (Like Theatre Lofts, or this lamentable shitheap.)
Honest to god. It looks like someone removed the outside of it. Or maybe they ran out of money before they could clad it.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 11:48 AM

I love it. Corrugated steel is used very well in Europe, and I like the reference to shipping containers.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 5:43 PM

I actually think it's really interesting to see it designed like a container. Having done a recent project using containers to build an outdoor recreation facility out here in Calgary; I find them interesting!

That project that was mentioned on Agricola was a real shit show of a project. I won't discuss it openly on the forum, but there was a lot of things that happened in the background but if you want to ask - I'd be happy to pvt msg the details.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I actually think it's really interesting to see it designed like a container. Having done a recent project using containers to build an outdoor recreation facility out here in Calgary; I find them interesting!

That project that was mentioned on Agricola was a real shit show of a project. I won't discuss it openly on the forum, but there was a lot of things that happened in the background but if you want to ask - I'd be happy to pvt msg the details.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...tage-1.1929862

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post

Anyway, I don't think there's any way to tell if the cladding materials will be cheap or not, either, but based on the recent trend in the city, I'd be optimistic. This kind of thing is a huge, huge, huge step up from the recent past. (Like Theatre Lofts, or this lamentable shitheap.)
With the base cladding, I've a feeling they were trying to echo the medieval castle architecture of the Armoury. What they ended up with looked more like a timeshare holiday villa on the costa del sol of Spain.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifta View Post
With the base cladding, I've a feeling they were trying to echo the medieval castle architecture of the Armoury. What they ended up with looked more like a timeshare holiday villa on the costa del sol of Spain.
God, you're probably right. It's just so inexplicably, inexcusably poor. (It does have competition nearby though. This one is even worse, IMO, if only because it's bigger and more looming.

If Drum ever happens, the few blocks around here will feature a trifecta of tacky crap. Forget run-down houses--these are the North End's biggest eyesores.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 9:13 PM

Here is a story on containers being used as affordable housing.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 7:17 PM

It appears this development requires a MPS/LUB amendment due to the density (over 250 ppl/acre) and height. This is just outside the HRMXD limits so WSP, on behalf of Killam and Urban Capital, are proposing to mimic what is allowed to be built on the Superstore site.

Case 18950 - Initiation Staff Report

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 7:53 PM

PUBLIC INFORMATION MEETING - Wed, June 18, 7pm – 9pm
City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax, NS, Canada (map)

Case 18950 Application by Genivar, for the lands of Urban Capital (Barrington) Inc. and Killam Investments Inc., to consider amending the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and the Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-law to permit a 6 storey mixed use building containing ground floor commercial and 142 residential units at 1057 and 1065 Barrington Street, Halifax.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
PUBLIC INFORMATION MEETING - Wed, June 18, 7pm – 9pm
City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax, NS, Canada (map)

Case 18950 Application by Genivar, for the lands of Urban Capital (Barrington) Inc. and Killam Investments Inc., to consider amending the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and the Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-law to permit a 6 storey mixed use building containing ground floor commercial and 142 residential units at 1057 and 1065 Barrington Street, Halifax.
Any chance this doesn't get approved?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 1:01 PM

Article on CBC today states that Loblaws and CN have given warnings to Killam over potential for noise. Southport would be locsted right beside the loading bays for the nearby Superstore and the CN freight yard and suffer from noise at all times of the day and night. Constructuion slated to begin in January.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 7:28 PM

Staff and HWCC are recommending that Regional Council approve the new zoning.

Staff Report

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 11:02 PM

Public hearing has been scheduled for Tuesday, November 18th, at Regional Council.

It should also be noted that the Tim Hortons is included in the rezoning. This will allow them to sell the land in the future and allow a similar scale building as-of-right.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 1:46 AM

this spot should allow for so much taller. This is where 30 story buildings should be zoned for

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeEtc View Post
Article on CBC today states that Loblaws and CN have given warnings to Killam over potential for noise. Southport would be locsted right beside the loading bays for the nearby Superstore and the CN freight yard and suffer from noise at all times of the day and night. Constructuion slated to begin in January.
That's hilarious. CN sending out warnings. How cute.

I'd actually support someone bringing an injunction against CN, stopping them from work, until they agreed to a commuter rail.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 11:05 PM

A total of zero speakers showed up for the public hearing on this project. This was approved unanimously and the rezoning cannot be appealed so Southport is now APPROVED and in about a month construction can begin!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 12:41 AM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
A total of zero speakers showed up for the public hearing on this project. This was approved unanimously and the rezoning cannot be appealed so Southport is now APPROVED and in about a month construction can begin!
The developer is breaking ground at an event this Thursday 6pm if anyone can make it.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 3:17 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Nice to see this one start. I've always thought that the south Barrington/Hollis area was a part of the city with a ton of unrealized potential because of its heritage buildings and interesting location. This is one of those buildings that will move the neighbourhood in the right direction. The Vic was pretty nice too. If this part of town ends up being a consistent mix of well-designed midrise buildings and heritage buildings it'll be great.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
The developer is breaking ground at an event this Thursday 6pm if anyone can make it.
Hi Waye, I quite enjoyed the BS answer from the clerk about the procedure at public hearings.

And Savage was pathetic - when did the Clerk pass the bar exam ?
I know what the practice has been - ignore the rules, ignore the law and hope nobody hires a lawyer.
The Ochterloney project was delayed for 12 months because Dickey and his ladyboss tried to bluff there way to approval. On the day of the public hearing 12 months ago they received a letter from HT telling them that if the project went ahead under the wrong policy they would take legal action. The staff used the five hours to change their report , agreed with the position of HT and changed the recommendation.
Several of the HRM staff have problems with ethics; if they belonged to professional organisations with disciplinary panels I'd have laid complaints long ago. I laid a complaint against Michael Napier because he lied in a written application to HRM, took NSAA a long time to deal with it and in the end they agreed that he could not provide any evidence to support his written assertions but he 'believed' that he had done what he had claimed !!
And too many councillors sit there and keep their mouths shut.
If staff and applicants can give a powerpoint presentation at a public hearing why can't a citizen do the same ?
The gentleman from Bedford proved what a farce the present practice is.
You know that Mellett is wrong but you sat there mute, like all the others except Ms Watts.
Shame on you. You can do better.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Hi Waye, I quite enjoyed the BS answer from the clerk about the procedure at public hearings.

And Savage was pathetic - when did the Clerk pass the bar exam ?
I know what the practice has been - ignore the rules, ignore the law and hope nobody hires a lawyer.
The Ochterloney project was delayed for 12 months because Dickey and his ladyboss tried to bluff there way to approval. On the day of the public hearing 12 months ago they received a letter from HT telling them that if the project went ahead under the wrong policy they would take legal action. The staff used the five hours to change their report , agreed with the position of HT and changed the recommendation.
Several of the HRM staff have problems with ethics; if they belonged to professional organisations with disciplinary panels I'd have laid complaints long ago. I laid a complaint against Michael Napier because he lied in a written application to HRM, took NSAA a long time to deal with it and in the end they agreed that he could not provide any evidence to support his written assertions but he 'believed' that he had done what he had claimed !!
And too many councillors sit there and keep their mouths shut.
If staff and applicants can give a powerpoint presentation at a public hearing why can't a citizen do the same ?
The gentleman from Bedford proved what a farce the present practice is.
You know that Mellett is wrong but you sat there mute, like all the others except Ms Watts.
Shame on you. You can do better.
Colin, you seem to have a lot of problems with development in downtown Dartmouth. You clearly oppose any Ochterloney proposals. You certainly loathe Kings Wharf, that's quite clear. Basically, anything that's injecting a bit of new life into the sad and depressing state that downtown Dartmouth has been for decades.

You don't, by any chance, happen to own property in the area and thus have an interest in opposing these developments?

Downtown Dartmouth needs development badly. No joke, it's been sad and depressing around there for years, things are turning around. And they're turning around *because* of new developments and new people moving to the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth