HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Australia

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 1:38 PM

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Australia:)

Hey everyone,

My wife and I have started to put some real thought into moving to Australia and since I creep on this forum a lot although mostly in the Canada section, I thought this was a good place to get some help.

A little information about the two of us. She is a teacher, teaching in Canada what would be grades 8 and 9. The age group for those kids are between 13 and 15 I believe. She has 6 years under her belt and is also planning on going back to University to grab her master's if that makes a difference?

I am in the Law enforcement field working with my cities local police agency. I have a degree in Police studies and investigation and have no issues applying to any of the local police forces in Australia. I have 3 years under my belt and I also plan on going back to school to either get my bachelor degree in criminology or maybe get my teaching degree. On a side note I also have EU passport as well as my Canadian one as my father was born and raised in England and my mother in Canada. Not sure if that helps at all.

Anyway we are both in our late twenties and have no kids and for the most part are pretty open to where and when. If anyone can pass along any information, websites to look at or personal experience that would be great

ps: If I wanted to bring my truck over, how would I go about doing that and would I be allowed?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 3:52 AM

I moved from Canada to Australia back in 2008, for about a year. I had a 4 year working visa, but didn't end up staying that long. I moved to Brisbane.

As Canadians younger than 30, it should be pretty easy for the both of you to get working holiday visa's that are good for a year, but limit the type of work you can do. I am an engineer, and had applied for a job online, interviewed over the phone and got it. My employer then sponsored me on my visa.

I would check out the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs website at www.immi.gov.au, as it has a lot of information for migrants to Australia.

You may also want to check out www.workingin-australia.com for some more information and links to potential employers. Other general job sites are www.careerone.com.au, www.seek.com.au, www.mycareer.com.au and www.employment.byron.com.au.

Some things to expect and some things that caught me off guard upon arrival. Housing in Australia's major cities is (or at least was) very expensive and competative. I am from Calgary, a city that is kind of on the expensive side, but was surprised at how much I had to pay there and how difficult it was to find a decent place. Not sure if things have calmed down at all in the past couple of years, but when I was there agents would have open houses for a rental appartment (say at 11:30 on a Thursday morning) and would show it to people, and then have a recommended price but it essentially became a bidding war, just to rent. $1600 a month would have gotten me a very dated (built in early 80's) modest furnished apartment (furniture almost as old as the place itself). I ended up just getting a room in a 3 bedroom place for $1000 a month. General cost of living is higher it seemed, more expensive groceries etc....

But, some things were cheaper. Flights within the country were a way better deal than in Canada. As a result I was able to travel most weekends and see a lot of the country, without breaking the bank.

Vehicles are pretty expensive there though (especially imports) so if you need one, you might be okay bringing your truck over. Having said that, I have no idea what is involved and they do drive on the other side of the road. I can't imagine it is cheap to ship a vehicle over there, so maybe look into that.

That's about all I can think of for now, reply if you have any other questions and I will do what I can. I left Australia on May 1, 2009, so it has been a couple of years. It was a great country though with friendly people. Very similar to Canada cultural wise, but much warmer weather (too warm in Brisbane some days).

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 3:24 PM

Hey, thanks for the information! I'll make sure to look at all those websites.

We are in Edmonton so pretty much the same cost wise as Calgary. You say a house to rent/buy was that much more then here? That is something I didn't expect at all. I was prepared for the increase in cost's for say food and gas but homes I thought would be cheaper. Guess it's because of the weather lol, a big reason why we are looking at moving there We are really getting tired of winter in Canada and even summer for that matter plus I would kill for a beach!!

Can you give me anymore info on the work visa? Are you only able to get for 1 year or could you apply for longer? Also you said something about types of work, do you have to be trade related in order to find work there or would we be ok in getting a job? Again these are questions I'll ask those websites you gave me but anything else you can add would be great. How did you find the job you took? How simple/hard was it to make the move and get the paperwork in order?

Thanks again for the help.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:21 PM

I had a subclass 457 work Visa, which was good for 4 years. There are a number of jobs that this visa can be used for (should be listed on one of those websites), but you need an employer to sponsor you.

So I looked at ads online and applied for jobs as they came up. I then interviewed over the phone and was offered the job. My new employer then did much of the paper work and process to get my visa, acting as my sponsor.

I met a few other Canadians who were on similar visa's to me, and some were in the process of becoming permanent residents. 4 years is pretty long, should give you plenty of time to do that if you so choose. The 1 year visa I mentioned is the 1 year working holiday visa that I think most commonwealth nations grant to one another. It is why you see so many Aussie's working ski lifts here, they are on a similar visa (and Canadians there picking fruit).

To get jobs in your careers (teacher and police officer) you may need more than that, but I am not sure.

As for house prices, I assume they are still pretty high, but am not sure. I can't remember what some of the real estate websites were, but try googling some of it and it should give you an idea.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 11:11 PM

If I were you I would go to Brisbane, I spend about 6 months there and loved the city and all it had to offer, I like myself am Canadian and live here now but I was lucky enough when i was younger to go to Australia and I love Brisbane.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 8:27 AM

There are areas with a climate remotely similar to Canada's (snow and all!), a lot of these places are in Victoria or NSW and are quite small towns, however you are in close proximity to major cities like Melbourne and Sydney. Melbourne's climate can be summers are very tolerable and cold winters with a lot of rain.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 8:54 PM

Hi, We are in same boat as u was when u moved from Canada

Hi
We are in same boat as u was when u moved from Canada, can you please share ur experience on ur move from Canada to Aussi? We are from Edmonton as well.. is it a good decision??

thanks
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa1982 View Post
Hey, thanks for the information! I'll make sure to look at all those websites.

We are in Edmonton so pretty much the same cost wise as Calgary. You say a house to rent/buy was that much more then here? That is something I didn't expect at all. I was prepared for the increase in cost's for say food and gas but homes I thought would be cheaper. Guess it's because of the weather lol, a big reason why we are looking at moving there We are really getting tired of winter in Canada and even summer for that matter plus I would kill for a beach!!

Can you give me anymore info on the work visa? Are you only able to get for 1 year or could you apply for longer? Also you said something about types of work, do you have to be trade related in order to find work there or would we be ok in getting a job? Again these are questions I'll ask those websites you gave me but anything else you can add would be great. How did you find the job you took? How simple/hard was it to make the move and get the paperwork in order?

Thanks again for the help.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 7:59 AM

Birsbane, Gold coast and Sydney are one of the most liked places by new comers from Canada which are planning to move in AU.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 2:36 AM

Will you rethink?

Based on your conditions, you guys won't get any better life in Australia, nor worsened either. The point is, what is my point?

Only if you like the sun and beach, ONLY.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Australia