HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 4:40 PM
Me?!?

Beautiful! Richard would definitely approve.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 7:40 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Seattle (02)

Video Link

[

[

[

[

[

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 2:48 AM

Nice pictures!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 7:04 PM

Great tour!!! Alaska looks great. I just returned from Seattle 2 weeks ago. I love the Seattle area so much. Just a fantastic metro.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 10:19 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Great pics, thanks for sharing

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 2:18 PM
A gruff individual.

Seattle (03) and Bellevue

Video Link

Bellevue

]

]

]

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 6:23 PM
Never Dell

Nice!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 7:26 PM
Great White Norf

Great photos HHNC!

what were the highlights for you and your Hubbs?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 10:29 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Great photos HHNC!

what were the highlights for you and your Hubbs?
We really enjoyed the excursions up the Tracy Arm Fjord and to Mendenhall Glacier. In Ketchikan, I had a lot of fun exploring Creek Street, which was their old red-light district. If we ever go back I'd love to tour the one old brothel they have that's been preserved as a museum, but it was also cool to see seals in the creek, to see a bald eagle and a Siamese cat fighting over fish guts, and to see salmon jumping up the salmon run.

In Seattle, it was just nice to visit my friend who lives there. I've known him since high school back in the 90s, when Seattle was the city to aspire to for any teenage boy worth his salt, what with Nintendo and grunge. He was the only one of us who ever made it out there and he's been there almost twenty years now. He was the one who ferried us out to Bellevue when it turned out the Frye Museum in Seattle didn't have anything good on display this time, unlike last time when it seemed the whole art collection was out. This time it was just a handful of the collection, plus an exhibit of modern art, which I detest. Of course, it turns out the Bellevue Arts Center is also kind of crummy, but we had a good time reminiscing over how the students in the art class at our high school were churning out the same kind of crap that was on display at the Bellevue museum. Then we had a fun discussion over what it is, exactly, that elevates one piece of modern art, say a piece made of sticks and wads of wet newspaper, to museum-display status when it looks no different whatsoever from the crap that high school students are creating. That was quite enjoyable.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 8:28 PM
E pluribus unum

I'd move to Juneau in a heartbeat if it wasn't so damn remote, wet and (usually) cold. Really nice compact downtown in a gorgeous location. I've heard lots of people say Alaska's capitol building looks bland, but I kind of like it. It has some slight hints of art deco influences.

The provincial capitol building in Victoria is a stunner. I only got four hours in Victoria but wandered around the Inner Harbour and Downtown. One of these days I'll make it back up there and visit Vancouver for the first time.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:44 AM

I would love a short-term job in Anchorage for the early summer. Gas prices weren't too bad there: under $5/gallon this past May, which was maybe 25c more than Delaware at the time. Food prices were pretty bad, but manageable. The weather, sunshine, and landscape were amazing! I saw people swimming in Wasilla, in the town lake (don't forget that this was May). Everything is green and vibrant, and the snowy mountains in some areas provide an awesome backdrop.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos