HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 4:44 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronakim View Post
Actually I consider the revision to the façade an improvement. Michael Graves to me is vastly over-rated. He reminds me of late Victorian practice of loading up facades with fussy decoration. I would have preferred a complete redesign by a more current architect rather than this outdated design over a decade old.
Agreed. The courthouse design is probably in my top 5 most hated proposals in the country right now. It's not just that it's ugly either. It's that it also is a blank wall all around and includes a surface parking lot on a prime corner. I mean I know Federal Courthouses need to have certain security measures in place. It's not like one is ever going to have street level retail. But to me this one just seems over the top with neighborhood killing designs.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 4:46 PM
Future God

In other news, certainly not the "surprise" a lot of us were expecting to hear from Nashville International this morning, but still a big get for the city.

BNA to SFO nonstops on United to begin in May:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...ht-to-san.html

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 1:58 PM

Drainage at Lake Palmer

from the Tennessean...

Drainage at Broadway and West End underway.... Does this signal an announcement from Alex Palmer regarding the West End Summit?

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...tart/77350528/

I want to be excited, but I don't want to be let down again....

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 9:38 PM

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...ight/77281274/

Looks like the federal courthouse has been funded!

Quote:
The fiscal year 2016 Omnibus Appropriations bill Congress unveiled late Tuesday includes the full $181.5 million for design and construction of the building planned along Church Street between Seventh and Eighth avenues.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 4:59 AM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
from the Tennessean...

Drainage at Broadway and West End underway.... Does this signal an announcement from Alex Palmer regarding the West End Summit?

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...tart/77350528/

I want to be excited, but I don't want to be let down again....
We've seen this before....

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 2:31 PM

Another update!

A lot has changed since April.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cranes being installed..

Site prep underway...

...and everyone's favorite...

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 2:52 PM

PROPOSED!!

High level of confidence that these will be built...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...psw02lub7h.jpg

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 1:20 PM

The Evolution of Demonbreun Street

The Tennessean has a really nice article on the revitalization of Demonbreun Street. It really gives a nice perspective of the growth along the corridor in SoBro, the Gulch and Mid-town. Quite honestly I never realized how much development had taken place along Demonbreun because of how it is broken up geographically by those three distinct areas and since I no longer live in Nashville, I don't see the unification of the street as those living there might see. I remember a lot of dead zones. But it appears that has changed and if the properties that front I-40 on both sides of interstate are developed (especially with high rises) in my mind it'll be the first street to have a continuum from inside the loop into mid-town. It would be nice if there were nicer bridges crossing over I-40 for both vehicles and pedestrians.

http://www.tennessean.com/longform/m...reet/77120350/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 6:18 PM

Crane for 505 will be erected Sunday night - Tuesday night

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 1:05 PM

Belcourt Theater

Not skyscraper news but I believe this is good news. The Belcourt Theater in Hillsboro Village is closing for 6 months for a major remodel to include a second floor addition. This is the rendering of how the Belcourt will look on the outside once completed.

From the Tennessean: http://www.tennessean.com/story/life...life/77452806/

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 4:53 PM
Future God

^^I LOVE that project. I am thrilled by all the new highrise construction taking place in the city these days, but Nashville needs many more neighborhood building sort of projects like the above.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 9:41 PM

http://oxblue.com/open/MDHA/ParkingGarage

Does anyone know how they are going to bring all of the construction crews, supplies,and equipment down in that hole to build 505 now that they have built the parking garage up to street level?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 1:59 AM

MidTenn1 - Those are great project updates. Nashville has some state-of-the-art projects in the works (much more so than Atlanta these days).

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
MidTenn1 - Those are great project updates. Nashville has some state-of-the-art projects in the works (much more so than Atlanta these days).
Atlanta is pretty busy these days, also. It's just that it's already so big, the projects are not transforming the skyline. They are, however, creating tremendous infill and will add to the maturation of Atlanta into a dense urban environment with an ideal live, work, play mix throughout the Midtown area. The streets will be tree-lined, urban canyons lined with 10 to 20 story buildings giving a hint of what urban life would be like in upper Manhattan or Chicago's north side. It is starting to move in that direction faster than I see in most of your sunbelt, peer cities.

I am encouraged that Nashville's growth is moving in a similar direction. I see our non-downtown urban neighborhoods transforming into the same live, work, play urban areas unlike many of our sunbelt peer cities, also. See more here...

Here is a mashup of all that is under construction or proposed to start this year in Nashville.

There's probably another 20+ buildings being strongly rumored with as many as eight being 30 or more floors tall (including a 50 story mixed-use).

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jan 8, 2016 at 11:32 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Atlanta is pretty busy these days, also. It's just that it's already so big, the projects are not transforming the skyline. They are, however, creating tremendous infill and will add to the maturation of Atlanta into a dense urban environment with an ideal live, work, play mix throughout the Midtown area. The streets will be tree-lined, urban canyons lined with 10 to 20 story buildings giving a hint of what urban life would be like in upper Manhattan or Chicago's north side. It is starting to move in that direction faster than I see in most of your sunbelt, peer cities.

I am encouraged that Nashville's growth is moving in a similar direction. I see our non-downtown urban neighborhoods transforming into the same live, work, play urban areas unlike many of our sunbelt peer cities, also. See more here...

Here is a mashup of all that is under construction or proposed to start this year in Nashville.

There's probably another 20+ buildings being strongly rumored with as many as eight being 30 or more floors tall (including a 50 story mixed-use).
Exactly, there is a healthy volume of projects (mostly residential) under way in Midtown Atlanta that will help transform it into a much more lively urban district, especially when you combine those residential buildings with the mixed-use space in the works at Georgia Tech's Technology Square.

However, I do think that the projects under development in Nashville tend to be more architecturally distinctive than Atlanta's. For instance, I don't see anything as interesting as the J.W. Marriott and Virgin hotel projects. Those look really cool. I like the Bridgestone HQ too, among others.

Thanks for the link. Great timing, too, because I was looking for a map of Nashville neighborhoods/districts, and that aerial map provides a great birds-eye view. I'm planning on heading up to Nashville in the Spring. I've lived in Atlanta for over a decade but haven't made it up to Nashville yet, aside from passing thru on the interstate. I'm interested in seeing the Gulch and other neighborhoods in addition to downtown.

Last edited by Driver8; Jan 8, 2016 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 3:01 PM

Atlanta is killing it on infill, but for some reason is a skyscraper laggard ... at a time in which so many US cities are straining for the skies.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post

I'm planning on heading up to Nashville in the Spring. I've lived in Atlanta for over a decade but haven't made it up to Nashville yet, aside from passing thru on the interstate. I'm interested in seeing the Gulch and other neighborhoods in addition to downtown.
I would suggest taking State Route 840 just north of Murfreesboro (an interstate caliber freeway) and going west to north I-65 to approach Nashville from your general direction, which I assume will be from Atlanta. It will take you past the Franklin, TN./Cool Springs area with its dense concentration of suburban retail and offices. There are numerous Corporate Headquarters located in the many office buildings lining the interstate. It's not Sandy Springs, but still interesting to see, nevertheless.

And you will be driving through the nation's seventh most prosperous County where the mantle pieces hold many Grammy Awards, Academy Awards, Emmys and MVP awards. In my mind, it would be a more interesting reveal to Nashville's broader influence.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
I would suggest taking State Route 840 just north of Murfreesboro (an interstate caliber freeway) and going west to north I-65 to approach Nashville from your general direction, which I assume will be from Atlanta. It will take you past the Franklin, TN./Cool Springs area with its dense concentration of suburban retail and offices. There are numerous Corporate Headquarters located in the many office buildings lining the interstate. It's not Sandy Springs, but still interesting to see, nevertheless.

And you will be driving through the nation's seventh most prosperous County where the mantle pieces hold many Grammy Awards, Academy Awards, Emmys and MVP awards. In my mind, it would be a more interesting reveal to Nashville's broader influence.
Thanks for the tip. That sounds like an interesting route to take. I always enjoy the chance to see more of the city as I'm driving along, so I'll check that out

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 7:27 PM
She needs her space

Just going to throw this out there - we know there is a lot going on in Nashville, and the renderings are mostly beautiful. Where the hell are the pictures showing updates, or even proof of all that is going on?

Tired of seeing only renderings and occasional chatter, and no pictures.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Just going to throw this out there - we know there is a lot going on in Nashville, and the renderings are mostly beautiful. Where the hell are the pictures showing updates, or even proof of all that is going on?

Tired of seeing only renderings and occasional chatter, and no pictures.
Most activity from Nashville is on the Urbanplanet website, with some crossing over on here. I now live in Dallas, so I'm not as in the loop as I was.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations