HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 9:36 PM
Future God

Disappointing...but I also took from the article that the hotel will go forward as planned and begin construction sooner than later, and also that they are still deciding what to do with the remainder of the lot. So hopefully we'll at least get a condo tower out of it or something.

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Aug 10, 2015 at 10:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 3:55 PM

The latest NBJ article corrects the initial Tennessean report that the office tower was scrapped and indicates that it may come later. I suspect Turnberry really just wants to get the JW Marriott underway while they look for potential office tenants since they've partnered with Colliers International to market the office space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...r-next-to.html

"On Aug. 10, The Tennessean cited an unidentified spokesman as saying the office tower had been scrapped. In response, a public relations firm for Turnberry sent the following statement, attributed to chairman and CEO Jeffrey Soffer:

'Our immediate focus is on development of the JW Marriott Nashville tower. In addition, we remain open to a variety of options for the office tower parcel and will be considering those as we move forward with development of the site.'

In response to follow-up questions, the managing director of that public relations firm would only say that Turnberry "remains open to development of an office tower on the site."

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 3:26 PM

Turnberry's decision to place the office tower on hold a disappointment. It would have been nice to see both the hotel and office tower go up together and the visual impact of both. They've left some uncertainty regarding the plans of the site beyond the hotel. Which leads me to wonder if plans for another office tower in the CBD might be a factor. Although I don't recall any such announcements other than for Bridgestone.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Turnberry's decision to place the office tower on hold a disappointment. It would have been nice to see both the hotel and office tower go up together and the visual impact of both. They've left some uncertainty regarding the plans of the site beyond the hotel. Which leads me to wonder if plans for another office tower in the CBD might be a factor. Although I don't recall any such announcements other than for Bridgestone.
The Emery project at the former convention center is the only one I can think of. Not much word out of that, lately, though I'm sure they're working hard at it.

Eakin is u/c and Gulch Crossings recently opened. There's a fair bit of new Class A stock that will be hitting the market, though a lot of it is spoken for (like Bridgestone, HCA, and parts of Eakin).

I've read that it is difficult to finance a large spec office tower -- it's not as safe of a bet for lenders right now as hotel or residential.

Turnberry's limited experience with office might also have played a role. It wouldn't surprise me if they later announced that they are planning to develop it as residential (may be a bit early for another big hotel). Or they may just sell it off.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 5:17 AM
Future God

There's also the 305 ft. Michael Hayes tower on 1st. Street across from the new amphitheater.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
There's also the 305 ft. Michael Hayes tower on 1st. Street across from the new amphitheater.
Forgot about that.

Yeah...and as ariesjow pointed out on another site, Turnberry clarified their position: the office tower isn't scrapped, but delayed. Basically, they're opening up the idea for other possibilities, but they aren't ruling out office.

Quote:
On Aug. 10, The Tennessean cited an unidentified spokesman as saying the office tower had been scrapped. In response, a public relations firm for Turnberry sent the following statement, attributed to chairman and CEO Jeffrey Soffer:
“Our immediate focus is on development of the JW Marriott Nashville tower. In addition, we remain open to a variety of options for the office tower parcel and will be considering those as we move forward with development of the site.”
In response to follow-up questions, the managing director of that public relations firm would only say that Turnberry "remains open to development of an office tower on the site."
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...r-next-to.html

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 2:31 PM
Future God

Exactly, and as another poster pointed out, I don't think we have to worry about them leaving the lot vacant or as a parking lot simply due to the fact that it'd be damn near impossible for them to make enough money on their massive investment if they did. They paid a lot of money for that huge swath of land, so they're going to want to maximize it.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Exactly, and as another poster pointed out, I don't think we have to worry about them leaving the lot vacant or as a parking lot simply due to the fact that it'd be damn near impossible for them to make enough money on their massive investment if they did. They paid a lot of money for that huge swath of land, so they're going to want to maximize it.
I agree with the above statement as well. I was just really liking the idea of the two building concept going up at the same time and the impact it would have had on the skyline. Hopefully they won't be downscaling the hotel portion. I can see adding a residential component. But the size of a residential building might be heavily impacted by demand as well. Not to mention a 22 story residential building is not as tall as a 22 story office tower, so the impact is not as great.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 11:17 PM

Edition Hotel

Potential Edition Hotel coming to The Gulch. The site is directly north of the Thompson Hotel and across 11th Ave from The Velocity.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 12:47 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^Thanks for posting this over here, futuresooner. This lot is almost like the center piece of the Gulch and this design is right on point for it.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 12:56 AM

Nashville getting an Edition Hotel would take us into some EXTREMELY exclusive company. They're currently open in New York, London, Miami Beach, & Istanbul. Coming locations are 3 in China, Bangkok, West Hollywood, Bali, Abu Dhabi, India, and a Times Square location.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 1:51 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Potential Edition Hotel coming to The Gulch. The site is directly north of the Thompson Hotel and across 11th Ave from The Velocity.

This was apparently posted in 2014 on the Vize.com website and gives no other information regarding construction.

However it is common knowledge that developer Mark Bloom has been pursuing a quality hotel brand for that site for some time. He even hinted at a 4 Seasons once. The use of Tuck Hinton as architects to prepare such a polished (expensive) rendering and the website 'Hotel Chatter' revealing of talks for an Edition Hotel in Nashville suggests there may be something to it.

It would really be the focus point of the Gulch.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Oct 18, 2021 at 12:36 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 5:57 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
This was apparently posted in 2014 on the Vize.com website and gives no other information regarding construction.

However it is common knowledge that developer Mark Bloom has been pursuing a quality hotel brand for that site for some time. He even hinted at a 4 Seasons once. The use of Tuck Hinton as architects to prepare such a polished (expensive) rendering and the website 'Hotel Chatter' revealing of talks for an Edition Hotel in Nashville suggests there may be something to it.

It would really be the focus point of the Gulch.

You all don't think this might be the site where the future Canopy by Hilton is going, do you?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 9:21 PM

The 'new skyline' either under construction or proposed....(10 floors or taller).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 9:40 PM

Quote:
The 'new skyline' either under construction or proposed....(10 floors or taller).

Omitted 7 CITY Offices at 14 floors.

Also proposed and seeking approvals (no renderings though)...

11 story Lifeway HQ in SoBro
15 Story Office in Mid Town
15 Story Hotel in Midtown

and strongly speculated...

20 +/- story Hard Rock Hotel with Residential in SoBro
10+ story Cambria Suites in SoBro
24 story Turnberry office
Uptown/Lifeway Campus 1/2 billion dollar investment with multiple high rises
Elmington Capital with proposed 15 story hotel and 20 story office at Music Row
Broadway High rise at 12th owned by Austin Tex developers

and numerous property purchases by developers with reputations for getting projects done.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Twelve story office building proposed for Mid-Town

From the Nashville Business Journal...

The rendering is mine and reflects no inside knowledge as to the actual design. It is intended to give a sense of scale and location relative to downtown. The light blue sketched structure represents the proposed building.

This is 30 blocks from downtown and near several other completed 12 to 10 story buildings which serve to create a continuous 35 block long skyline for Nashville along the West End/Music Row corridor.

The renderings and name have now been revealed...

Another week, another building!!

Last edited by MidTenn1; Aug 24, 2015 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:28 PM

Buckingham has proposed a 38-story, SOM-designed residential tower for the sliver lot across from ICON and Terrazzo in the Gulch.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...est-tower.html

Last edited by ariesjow; Aug 28, 2015 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 7:20 PM

Great height, but I'm reserving full comment on the design until more renderings are released. I'm a bit skittish on the detailed pieces, like the materials used in the non-glass sections of the structure.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 9:09 PM
Future God

Wow...looks like a beauty to me! If you're gonna do a glass box, do a glass box that looks like that.

On top of that, In other news, this six story, 326 unit apartment complex called "The Olmsted," is being proposed for SoBro:

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2015/8...hville_project

Also there is this 291 unit complex that is beginning construction on Eastland Ave. in East Nashville:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...rtment.html#i1

[img]http://media.bizj.us/view/img/6845762/the-cleo-replaces-liveast*750xx6997-3936-236-0.jpg[/img]

Just another day in Nashville!

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Aug 28, 2015 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 2:56 AM

Updated from Tuesday!!! Added Buckinham 38 story apartments and 7 City/14 story office.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations