HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
This makes me very nervous. I was planning on giving Swoop/YHM a try this winter but if there's any chance a flight will get cancelled leaving me stranded for several days, forget about it.
Me too--as we have booked YHM->MCO in November. Price was right, and departure times were great. But that's if all goes well, and no flights are cancelled.

Been checking flightradar24.com to see on time performance of Swoop flights out of YHM, and haven't noticed any cancellations in the last couple of weeks of periodically checking that site.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 9:05 PM

Flying $200 Million Boeing 747-SP Private Jet from YHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2ou0oq9Bz4

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Flying $200 Million Boeing 747-SP Private Jet from YHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2ou0oq9Bz4
I watched this yesterday. Sam Chui is my hero lol. Imagine making a living flying and talking about it lol. I've watched a lot of his videos on some of the amazing trips and aircraft he has flown, especially the first class suites on some of the Asian airlines. Great opportunity he had to be the only passenger on this private 747SP a couple weeks ago. As for the plane itself, it was luxury 20 years ago, but looks like it needs a bit of a makeover. I mean, I would take that over AC Rouge though lol

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:30 PM

I've seen that 747 parked on the tarmac there every time I go. Thought it was mothballed or something. Who owns it?

Edit: I see it used to be owned by a Qatari royal.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:59 PM

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 1:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

I tried the new cafe in the departure lounge last weekend. It's nice to get a large latte and bring it to the plane. The cookie was delicious too.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClo View Post
more on the plane. Missed this article when it was published

Qatar’s Royal Family plane: Flying palace waits new owner at Hamilton Airport

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...ilton-airport/

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 12:08 AM

Sad news ..... Jetlines folding up camp until it can get better conditions. YHM will need another partner. Come on Jet Blue, Southwest....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ayed-1.5338851

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

Air cargo giant DHL Express plans $100-million expansion at Hamilton airport
The project will see its current sorting facility quadruple in size.

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...ilton-airport/

Global air cargo giant DHL is planning a $100-million expansion at the Hamilton International Airport that will see its current sorting facility quadruple in size.

DHL Express moved to Hamilton in 2008 and now employs 225 people in a 50,000-square-foot facility.

The company announced this morning it will expand its facility to 200,000 square feet and add automatic sorting technology capable of processing 15,000 packages per hour. The expansion should also add more workers, but the expected number of new hires was not immediately clear.

The expansion makes sense given the Hamilton airport's potential to "become the cargo hub of Ontario," said the announcement from Andrew Williams, CEO of the company's Canadian branch.

City officials worked for close to two years to close the deal, said economic development head Glen Norton, who visited a DHL sorting hub in Germany with Mayor Fred Eisenberger during a trade mission last year.

"It's a pretty big deal for Hamilton," Norton said, pointing to construction jobs, new taxes and the city's share of improved revenue at the privately-operated, municipally-owned airport.

"Things will be happening very quickly, because DHL wants to be up-and-running by next year's Christmas rush."

The sorting facility is expected to deal primarily with small packages and letter mail, with international packages being moved quickly between countries. Right now, the existing facility sees two daily planes arrive with packages from an international hub in Cincinnati.

Flamborough-Glanbrook Tory MPP Donna Skelly lauded the news as more recognition of "how crucial Hamilton is as a gateway destination," noting other recent investments by Liburdi Group, Stryker Corporation and KF Aerospace.

The John C. Munro airport is already Canada's largest overnight cargo airport, with Purolator, UPS, Canada Post and Amazon also using the facility for cargo operations. Cargo service jumped from 438,924 kilograms in 2016 to 525,161 kilograms in 2018.

Passenger traffic has been harder to come by, however.

Private operator Tradeport took over management of the airport in 1996 with the stated goal of growing passenger traffic to one million people annually. That has only happened once so far — in 2003 — and annual passenger numbers were as low as 334,000 in 2016.

Since then, however, traveller traffic has jumped over 725,000 as of 2018.

The ongoing growth of cargo and logistics businesses at the airport is expected to finally kick-start the city's stalled plans for an airport employment growth district.

For example, developer Panattoni broke ground earlier this month on a $30-million warehouse in the area — without a tenant — on the strength of expected growth at the international airport.

Tradeport is also embarking on $38.8 million in infrastructure improvements — including upgrades to its main runway, taxiways and airfield lighting — to handle expected growth.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:38 PM

From YHM's press release

DHL Express invests $100 million CAD to expand its existing gateway at John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport

Set to open in 2021, the new facility, four times the size of current facility at 200,000 square feet, to meet double-digit volume growth

Being DHL’s largest gateway in Canada, the new facility will quadruple the current handling capacity

Toronto, Canada, October 29, 2019: DHL, the world’s leading global express and logistics company, announced today its latest gateway expansion in Canada: a new $100 million CAD facility at the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport. This new facility will replace its existing one, also at Hamilton International, to meet double-digit growth in shipment volumes.

“Hamilton International Airport offers us the benefits that we need to meet our growing demands in handling capacity,” said Andrew Williams, CEO for DHL Express Canada. “With 24-hour landing capability, dedicated onsite Canada Border Services Agency representation and the ability to grow in the future with a partner positioned to become the cargo hub of Ontario, we know this is the best decision to continue leading the market.”

“I was pleased to visit DHL officials in Leipzig, Germany two years ago to underline our commitment to do everything possible to assist in the expansion of DHL’s facility at Hamilton International Airport,” said Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger. “This is further evidence that our airport is an economic driver that is attracting international investment resulting in high-value jobs and increased prosperity.”

“Today’s announcement from DHL is great news for the Airport, the City of Hamilton and the province as Hamilton International is a global gateway facilitating the movement of goods and Ontario is the home of a strong and rapidly growing e-commerce industry,” said Cathie Puckering, President and CEO of John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport. “The Airport and DHL are proud of a great, long-standing relationship for two decades and DHL’s investment will ensure it is well positioned for success at Hamilton International Airport for many years to come.”

Since 2014, international trade has generated continuous growth in shipments per day for DHL Express in the Americas, averaging at around 8% growth each year for the entire region combined. In Canada alone, shipments per day growth have doubled with 60% of the total Canadian shipments cleared every month at Hamilton International. The Hamilton Gateway is the largest gateway for DHL Express in Canada by volume. Other DHL Express gateways in Canada are located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal, and Mirabel.

The new facility, which will be four times the size of the current one at 200,000 square feet, will feature a fully-automated sort system with a capacity of processing 15,000 packages per hour.

Today, the DHL Express Hamilton International Gateway has two daily flights connecting Canada to the International network via Cincinnati. The facility will also generate an increase in front line job growth to meet higher demands, adding to its existing 225 employees.

“As I’ve said before, government doesn’t create jobs, businesses do,” said Ontario Premier Doug Ford. “We welcome DHL’s $100 million investment in our province and we will continue to make Ontario the best place to grow a business and create jobs for people.”

DHL Express moved to its current Hamilton International facility in 2008. In the last four years, the company has invested more than 30 million CAD to increase its fleet and aviation capacity, along with expanding its facilities in Edmonton and Winnipeg, and most recently, doubling its capacity at the Vancouver International Airport in Richmond. DHL Express has 17 owned locations throughout Canada and more than 450 partner locations.

Last year, DHL Express launched a new direct flight from the DHL Express Americas Hub in Cincinnati to Vancouver, also as a result of double-digit shipment growth generated from the growing international trade – specifically between the U.S. and Canada. Inbound shipments had increased by 38 percent to Vancouver from 2017 to 2018, while outbound volumes increased by 10 percent, all as a result of the accelerating e-commerce business paired with an already-strong customer base for the company. The new flight, an $8.6 million CAD investment, increased shipment capacity on the route by up to 40% improvement, and created more opportunity for Vancouver’s small and medium-sized businesses to trade internationally by improving reliability, connectivity and capacity between the two markets.

In the last two years, DHL Express has invested more than $289 million CAD in operational investments throughout the Americas, which have allowed for improved automation for speed and accuracy at hubs, gateways and service center facilities across the region.

https://flyhamilton.ca/dhl-express-i...ional-airport/

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:02 PM

Canada Border Services Agency at YHM is already the largest commercial operation in Canada.

DHL is part of Deutsche Post DHL Group. The Group generated revenues of more than 61 billion euros (82 billion CAD) in 2018.

DHL is presently in the old Westjet hanger that Cargojet just bought. If you look at that building on google earth you can get a sense of how big the building will be. It will be easily the largest building at the airport.

And there should be another announcement in the future by Cargojet as there is talk around the airport by the Cargojet people that they are going to build an even larger hanger than any of the three they have and that they are getting even larger planes than they have. Right now the largest they have are B767-300's. The next size up are B777's and B747's. That would give them the range to do the far east.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:59 PM
Ham-burgher

Snowballs that may roll and accumulate instead of melt. YHM doing what the city has been hoping, for so long

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 7:32 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I read this.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6095956/d...RN3joAqAk499S4

Hamilton airport is on a roll for 700 thousand ppl

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
I read this.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6095956/d...RN3joAqAk499S4

Hamilton airport is on a roll for 700 thousand ppl
The article posted in the Canada Airport thread says the new building is 4x the 50,000 sq ft that the current building is, while this one says 4x the current 200,000 sq ft. I think the other article is correct on sizes, just eyeballing the place. Plus I don't think they are going to do 800k for $100 million, considering UPS is spending $200 million for that size and Purolator is spending $300m for 450k.

Surprised at the low pieces per hour though. 15k is really low for an automated sort facility. The new UPS hub in Caledon will do 35k an hour and the new Purolator hub on Finch will be 50-60k an hour.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:42 PM

I was talking to someone who was at the "Breakfast with the City Manager" event yesterday and Cathie Puckering, President and CEO of YHM announced the DHL project to everyone there. She stated that this would be DHL's 8th largest sort facility in the world.

I was at the airport this afternoon and work has started on the new DHL Sort Centre. The property is very large that is fenced off. I have marked it off in google earth.

20191030_133830 by R L, on Flickr

New DHL @YHM sort centre by R L, on Flickr

Last edited by LikeHamilton; Oct 31, 2019 at 1:30 AM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 1:33 AM

KF Aerospace new hanger is 99% closed in.

Picture of the new hanger next to the old one.

20191030_134830 by R L, on Flickr

KF Aerospace's new parking lot.

20191030_134415 by R L, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 12:24 AM

Super. Jobs are good. Good jobs are especially good. Well done YHM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 2:12 PM

I'm interested to see how full (or under capacity) that parking lot will be once Mohawk moves there as well. The DHL guest lot was near capacity with Mohawk students when I was there.

Along with increased student intake (They've added a January intake for the Aircraft Maintenance Program starting in 2021), Mohawk is also adding the Avionics program to their line of Aviation Programs starting next year.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 6:23 PM

Tweet from KF Aerospace
We're opening new doors in #Hamilton (next week!) with KF's first ever wide-body aircraft #hangar!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
Tweet from KF Aerospace
We're opening new doors in #Hamilton (next week!) with KF's first ever wide-body aircraft #hangar!
They almost say that like they haven't already had widebodies.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure