HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 6:30 AM
of the bay area

i need my SSP forums ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2008, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfarley View Post
If you were travelling on business and wanted to remain connected in one way or another, it would be important to you too. Or, if wanting to remain connected to family.

...Oooops. looks like I repeated someone elses point oo. Maybe we're on to something? Ya think?

I don't have a job that requires me to be on-call, and when I want to talk to my family and friends, I do it in person, or I talk to them on the phone while I'm at home. I don't make or take personal calls while I'm at work, and my friends and family know better than to call me while I'm at work unless it's an absolute emergency.

So I guess that's why I don't relate.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 5:59 AM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I don't have a job that requires me to be on-call, and when I want to talk to my family and friends, I do it in person, or I talk to them on the phone while I'm at home. I don't make or take personal calls while I'm at work, and my friends and family know better than to call me while I'm at work unless it's an absolute emergency.

So I guess that's why I don't relate.
When I was younger I was a bit more of an idealist. I didn't want a cell phone. I didn't want to be accessible for others to contact me. I wanted my privacy; my time to myself.

Today, I want to be connected. Connected to news, friends, or associates. I want that choice. I don't feel the need to always be 'in contact' but I do want to be accessible and be able to connect with others if I want to. Or need to.

It's about having that option. I think most people want that.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 6:05 AM
Of Heart's Delight

At this point, it's not a work addiction but rather keeping up with the business world.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 6:16 AM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
At this point, it's not a work addiction but rather keeping up with the business world.
That too.

I love my job. It's interesting. I am motivated. I spend a portion of almost every day outside of work doing stuff, or looking into stuff, that compliments what I do at work. Sitting idle on a plane for 1-3 hours feels like wasted time when I could be cruising the internet for information (or posting here). Somehow, trying to flip pages of a newspaper on a narrow crowded plane is not enjoyable for myself... or the peeps sitting next to me.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 8:39 AM
of the bay area

Here's a thought...

If we had high speed rail putting the Central Valley within commuting distance of LA and SF, would there be a mortgage crisis going on today? Prices in the cities and in inner suburbs within reasonable commute time to downtown have remained stable or continued to rise.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 3:49 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley Person View Post
Here's a thought...

If we had high speed rail putting the Central Valley within commuting distance of LA and SF, would there be a mortgage crisis going on today? Prices in the cities and in inner suburbs within reasonable commute time to downtown have remained stable or continued to rise.

You just outlined the best reason to oppose HSR..

This is not about establishing affordable bedroom communites in the Valley. And yes there would me a mortgage crisis. There's a natiowide mortgage crisis because people took out loans without reading the fine print or they just simply couldn't afford what they were buying.

If we want to grow the communities in the valley wisely, we build up the infratructure to include reliable rail alternatives. But we also do it by building up the local employment base up and down the Valley. There's no reason Fresno, Bakersfield, Modesto and Stockton can't build their own economies and local labor force in much the same way Sacramento has.

The Valley needs to establish walkable (self) sustainable communities..

To support HSR so as to establish bedroom communities further and further from LA and SF is the best reason i can think of to oppose this. It certainly doesn't represent smart growth, land use and development planning.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Apr 20, 2008 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Here's a thought...

It would probably worsen the sprawl.

Hopefully, fares for this HSR won't be cheap enough to take a daily commute to/from the Central Valley for granted.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 5:41 AM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post

Hopefully, fares for this HSR won't be cheap enough to take a daily commute to/from the Central Valley for granted.
Demographic projects portray the Central Valley growing by millions before HSR was ever envisioned as a project. It's in part intended to be a solution to expected transportation congestion.... not the cause of additional growth; which would be minor relative to pre-existing projection tracks anyway.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post

That is what i've been trying to say.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 10:47 PM

they just shouldnt make any stops between the altamont pass and the san fernando valley.

jk

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 9:29 PM
S.F. needs more Neon.

Quote:
Here's a thought...

[b]If we had high speed rail putting the Central Valley within commuting distance of LA and SF, would there be a mortgage crisis going on today? [\b] Prices in the cities and in inner suburbs within reasonable commute time to downtown have remained stable or continued to rise.
Yes because it is not a CA only problem up a USA wide problem of people not reading what they sign, or doing there due diligence about what kind of loan they are getting into.
But back on topic.
This is a project that is needed, besides for the mostpart I think cities are waking up to the problems that sprawl is creating. while that cant do anything in the very near short turm, i think people are coming aroind and HSR will help that greatley. Besides going by train is fun.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 11:07 PM

Does anyone else think that the recent increase in gas prices may give California voters an additional incentive to vote YES on this bond measure?

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 12:03 AM
Of Heart's Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid View Post
Does anyone else think that the recent increase in gas prices may give California voters an additional incentive to vote YES on this bond measure?
I hope so. Also, this increase is recent but these generally high prices have been around a while now. Maybe people will see that there's no end in sight and really throw their support for HSR.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 4:14 AM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid View Post
It cannot hurt!

I also agree with krudmonk that these prices have been around for a while and will continue to remain as high for the foreseeable future. To this end, what I think would help HSR more is greater public awareness that high gas prices will remain and that HSR is a viable alternative for long distance travel...1) mitigating the individual cost impact of travelling and 2) removing other cars off the highways (to get out of other peoples' way).

However, does HSR really need that much help? It seems that everything under the sun is beginning to shine a bright shining positive light on HSR. Really!

If there is one lurking shadow... it's the state budget and the perception that the state should not create more debt. Despite the fact that repayments, large ones, will not come due for some years.... not everyone realizes the short term implications are negligible, if not nil.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 9:42 AM
S.F. needs more Neon.

true.
I am over in Japan right now.
I have been riding the rails for many days. HSR is somthing that CA needs. But also it needs the planning around stations and feeder systems to make this really work like is should.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 12:37 AM

Wow, they seriously re-did the CHSRA website. It looks really nice now. Check it out.

http://www.cahighspeedrail.ca.gov/

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 5:43 AM
Green Berniecrat

I agree. The website looks very impressive. I especially like the gallery of videos they show. You can see nice projections of what the future holds for the area around the stops. Definetly check it out.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 9:24 PM

villaraigosa sure does an awful job of selling his scripted lines in that first video. regardless, the new site looks great. I just don't want to get my hopes up on this project : (

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 10:40 PM
California goth

Why is there no route from Irvine to San Diego that goes along the coast?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West