HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 8:42 PM
Forever forward.

1107 Main Street West | 45m | 15fl | Proposed

15-Storey Residential Building Proposed Near McMaster University | HamiltonForward

15 storeys
45 meters
310 units

More renderings and information in the project files here.

Last edited by lachlanholmes; Jul 3, 2020 at 10:45 PM. Reason: fixed project files link

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 10:27 PM

I like it. This strip by McMaster is a great section to increase density with nice mid rises like this, especially considering it's a major transit route to downtown. I really wish LRT could get started and we'd see even more of these.

I find it kind of strange that it includes the church. I'm curious if the church has sold the property and plans to remain in the first floor a la Platinum on King.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 10:44 PM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I like it. This strip by McMaster is a great section to increase density with nice mid rises like this, especially considering it's a major transit route to downtown. I really wish LRT could get started and we'd see even more of these.

I find it kind of strange that it includes the church. I'm curious if the church has sold the property and plans to remain in the first floor a la Platinum on King.
The church indeed sold the property, to IN8. I don't believe they'll be remaining in the new building, though, unless they are to take up one of the commercial units, there is no space marked out for them specifically.

I believe they might actually have merged with another congregation, actually. I have in the back of my mind that I read that in one of the reports.

Edit: yep, looks like they did according to the Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment (p. 23)

Last edited by lachlanholmes; Jul 3, 2020 at 10:50 PM. Reason: -

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
The church indeed sold the property, to IN8. I don't believe they'll be remaining in the new building, though, unless they are to take up one of the commercial units, there is no space marked out for them specifically.

I believe they might actually have merged with another congregation, actually. I have in the back of my mind that I read that in one of the reports.

Edit: yep, looks like they did according to the Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment (p. 23)

To me that makes this even stranger!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 11:17 PM
It's Hammer Time

This looks great. I used to park there for cheap and walk to McMaster, which was $30 a month.

I'm sure the synagogue behind this will oppose it, so that could hold this back.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 12:10 AM

IN8 is behind it too so it should get built. They have a pretty good record of building their stuff.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 7:41 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I'm sure the synagogue behind this will oppose it, so that could hold this back.
The positive is it won't be blocking the sun from them. And their building is a couple hundred feet behind.

I'd think the homeowners on the adjacent streets (Dow and Cline) will have the most issues... the usual stuff about parking, traffic, shadows, noise, etc.

Main West is due for change though.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
This looks great. I used to park there for cheap and walk to McMaster, which was $30 a month.

I live in that neighbourhood and I’ve heard that the synagogue is for it.

There obviously has been some community opposition.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 12:57 AM
Hamilton Historian

I love the fact they have incorporated the church - it now makes the second church facade incorporation proposal in the city.

I don't think we should shy away from reusing elements from churches - a church is just a building after all - and churches have historically had some of the most beautiful architecture ever made in a building.

So use away! Incorporate the old with the new - ANYTHING other than generic modular bland "modern" styled buildings please that will have no heritage value or architectural features worth focusing on 100 years from now. I was actually kinda meh on this proposal UNTIL I saw the church facade. Remember - old + new = best!

I like the dark wood look on each side too. The wood beside the stone looks sharp and then combined with the glass adds to a seamless integration

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 11:13 PM

New renders with a few changes from the DRP. They keep the church facade, but change the balcony shapes. I think it makes the entire thing look a lot busier. I have been looking a lot into Toronto midrises (which are amazing btw), and come away incredibly disappointed with the type of work being done in Hamilton.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 1:35 AM
Ham-burgher

This is a step or two up.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 1:37 AM

I really like the design on this. Dont know why I just do. I am almost getting more excited about main west rather than downtown. I love downtown but always feel like with need more density outside of it. I wish we could see more up on top of the shelf A.K.A the mountain.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 2:50 AM

I mean, I don't hate it. But it's hardly a masterpiece. Further to that, it's been barely changed when you look at the massing. They basically cut a couple angles off the sides and made the balconies triangles and called it a day.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 12:14 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Such a simple change and now it looks so much more visually interesting, love it!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
New renders with a few changes from the DRP. They keep the church facade, but change the balcony shapes. I think it makes the entire thing look a lot busier. I have been looking a lot into Toronto midrises (which are amazing btw), and come away incredibly disappointed with the type of work being done in Hamilton.
Unfortunately we know we're just a few years behind Toronto in attracting development capital with design integrity behind it. To be fair there's lots of garbage developments in Toronto as well, but midrises seem to be the sweet spot.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Unfortunately we know we're just a few years behind Toronto in attracting development capital with design integrity behind it. To be fair there's lots of garbage developments in Toronto as well, but midrises seem to be the sweet spot.
I've been sitting through the UrbanToronto forums, and man there are some beautiful midrises in Toronto. I find most of the highrises still are lacking an enjoyable street presence, typically opting for "grand", often gaudy street level, but the midrises in Toronto are killing it.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 4:02 AM
Hamilton Historian

we'll get there eventually..

hopefully..

What saddens me is nothing new has any craftsmanship - its just lego building - I love the old stuff of hamilton - esp. when the 80s stripping is yanked off and you see the beautiful details underneath.

Back when people actually cared about making a visual statement, and not just making a container. Class over glass.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:

I may be wrong, but my understanding from sources involved with the congregation is that the synagogue is involved in this project. Like it might be a senior residences centre. If that is the case, then they are directly vested in having the project built.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulkvedis Pods View Post
I may be wrong, but my understanding from sources involved with the congregation is that the synagogue is involved in this project..
This is indeed true.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 1:16 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton