HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 7:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

Love it. Being right next to the GO Station alone makes this a great investment property.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Love it. Being right next to the GO Station alone makes this a great investment property.
Yeah, that proximity is a nice feature. If only we had all day train service to and from Toronto though.

Regardless, this looks good based on the renders. Hoping it'll see the light of day.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 2:51 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
Yeah, that proximity is a nice feature. If only we had all day train service to and from Toronto though.

Regardless, this looks good based on the renders. Hoping it'll see the light of day.
Apparently I heard the big issue with the new go station is they built it before they got full permission from CN to use the tracks - so the go trains only run at specified times because they are only allowed to run at those times..

Great use of the podium though in the front and back - I can only imagine what those will cost though being literally right beside the station. You can't get any closer!

I do really like the building though - it has a very "burlington" vibe to it.

Last edited by Chronamut; Oct 21, 2018 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 1:10 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Wow this is exactly what we need more of in the North End! Beautiful development and eventually there will be all day go service there!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Wow this is exactly what we need more of in the North End! Beautiful development and eventually there will be all day go service there!
All day service won't happen for many years unless GO Transit and CN can work out a deal to share the tracks.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

Developer behind Pigott conversion working on new Hamilton condo project
Vernon Shaw’s Harbour Condos on the Bay are proposed for MacNab Street

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8...condo-project/

When Vernon Shaw came to town in 1996 to convert Hamilton's historic Pigott Building into condos, the city's downtown was a different place.

"Twenty years ago it was not that common to live downtown, but everybody who bought there or moved there wanted to be part of that lively downtown scene," the Canlight Group founder said about the residence at the corner of Main and James streets. "It was really just starting to emerge at that time."

Shaw sees his latest Hamilton project — Harbour Condos on the Bay — as helping to transform a different area of the city at a similar time in its development.

"I think the waterfront will become that in time," he told The Spectator.

Shaw's proposed 11-storey, 76-unit condominium development at MacNab Street North and Stuart Street — his first project in Hamilton since the Pigott Building — comes at a time when the city's waterfront is undergoing a massive redevelopment.

The city's long-planned $140-million revitalization will transform the west harbour to include a housing and commercial development, as well as Pier 8 Promenade Park.

Harbour Condos on the Bay is a new development, but Shaw said he can still employ lessons learned from his work on the historic Pigott Building.

"We didn't have to create an identity for it," Shaw said about his past Hamilton project. "It already had an identity."

"It was like a magnet, it drew people," he added. "They wanted to feel proud to say that they lived there."

While the Pigott tower was already a "landmark" when he turned it into a condo project, he has the same ambitions for his latest Hamilton work.

"Everybody knows this is an area in transition, and I think it will become one of the most desirable locations in the city," he said about the waterfront. "We want to develop a project that becomes a landmark."

Shaw said he and his partners on the project — Hunter Milborne of Milborne Group and Gary Silver of Norstar — have been speaking with the city to help them create a building with a design and size that fits in with the local community, including nearby Custom House, which is now home to the Workers Arts and Heritage Centre.

He said they hope to appear before the city's planning committee and have their approvals by the end of this year.

Milborne, whose company will handle selling the units, is originally from Hamilton but left at 18 to go to university in Toronto.

His father owned a picture framing store and gift shop called Milborne Framers that was located on King Street East in the International Village. The store later moved to MacNab Street before being expropriated as part of the Hamilton City Centre development, Milborne said.

It's an interesting and exciting time to be back in the city, which has transformed from an industry town to include a burgeoning arts scene in the many years he's been gone, he said.

"It's like a full circle thing."

The Harbour Condos project includes units slightly larger than some other local condominium developments (as many as 1,100 square feet) to appeal to a broader group of people, as well as space for a first-floor coffee shop as a way to help build community within the building and neighbourhood as a whole, Shaw said.

Despite the condo development being built across the street from the West Harbour GO Station at a time when many Torontonians are moving to the city, Shaw said they've never considered Hamilton to be a bedroom community.

"Hamilton is a city — it's not a suburb," he said. "It has a unique identity."

"We're not really aiming this at Toronto," he added. "We're aiming it at how we see the demographics in Hamilton."

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Developer behind Pigott conversion working on new Hamilton condo project
Vernon Shaw’s Harbour Condos on the Bay are proposed for MacNab Street

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8...condo-project/

When Vernon Shaw came to town in 1996 to convert Hamilton's historic Pigott Building into condos, the city's downtown was a different place.

"Twenty years ago it was not that common to live downtown, but everybody who bought there or moved there wanted to be part of that lively downtown scene," the Canlight Group founder said about the residence at the corner of Main and James streets. "It was really just starting to emerge at that time."

Shaw sees his latest Hamilton project — Harbour Condos on the Bay — as helping to transform a different area of the city at a similar time in its development.

"I think the waterfront will become that in time," he told The Spectator.

Shaw's proposed 11-storey, 76-unit condominium development at MacNab Street North and Stuart Street — his first project in Hamilton since the Pigott Building — comes at a time when the city's waterfront is undergoing a massive redevelopment.

The city's long-planned $140-million revitalization will transform the west harbour to include a housing and commercial development, as well as Pier 8 Promenade Park.

Harbour Condos on the Bay is a new development, but Shaw said he can still employ lessons learned from his work on the historic Pigott Building.

"We didn't have to create an identity for it," Shaw said about his past Hamilton project. "It already had an identity."

"It was like a magnet, it drew people," he added. "They wanted to feel proud to say that they lived there."

While the Pigott tower was already a "landmark" when he turned it into a condo project, he has the same ambitions for his latest Hamilton work.

"Everybody knows this is an area in transition, and I think it will become one of the most desirable locations in the city," he said about the waterfront. "We want to develop a project that becomes a landmark."

Shaw said he and his partners on the project — Hunter Milborne of Milborne Group and Gary Silver of Norstar — have been speaking with the city to help them create a building with a design and size that fits in with the local community, including nearby Custom House, which is now home to the Workers Arts and Heritage Centre.

He said they hope to appear before the city's planning committee and have their approvals by the end of this year.

Milborne, whose company will handle selling the units, is originally from Hamilton but left at 18 to go to university in Toronto.

His father owned a picture framing store and gift shop called Milborne Framers that was located on King Street East in the International Village. The store later moved to MacNab Street before being expropriated as part of the Hamilton City Centre development, Milborne said.

It's an interesting and exciting time to be back in the city, which has transformed from an industry town to include a burgeoning arts scene in the many years he's been gone, he said.

"It's like a full circle thing."

The Harbour Condos project includes units slightly larger than some other local condominium developments (as many as 1,100 square feet) to appeal to a broader group of people, as well as space for a first-floor coffee shop as a way to help build community within the building and neighbourhood as a whole, Shaw said.

Despite the condo development being built across the street from the West Harbour GO Station at a time when many Torontonians are moving to the city, Shaw said they've never considered Hamilton to be a bedroom community.

"Hamilton is a city — it's not a suburb," he said. "It has a unique identity."

"We're not really aiming this at Toronto," he added. "We're aiming it at how we see the demographics in Hamilton."

I'm only asking this because I don't know the answer, but has this developer done anything besides the Pigott building?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 5:16 PM

Development Portfolio I found this on their website. Some small projects.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Development Portfolio I found this on their website. Some small projects.
Thank you!

I wonder if their site isn't updated? Based on the site, their last project was in 2010 and prior to that the bulk of their projects were in the late nineties and early 2000's.

I like the renderings posted in this thread of the development, but it's odd that they've been inactive in development for eight years. Of course, the website might just need an update to reflect more recent projects?

Who knows.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 10:18 AM
Forever forward.

Heading for discussion at Planning Committee on February 5th.

Staff recommendation: DENIAL

Reasoning: too tall, too dense, and doesn't respect existing neighbourhood character. As usual.

The Setting Sail Secondary Plan currently allows 4 storeys, sounds like planning staff want the development downsized to that scale.

It is inconceivable to me that we're opposing 11 storeys across from a brand new GO station. I may be able to make it to the meeting to speak in favour. We will see.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 11:06 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
Heading for discussion at Planning Committee on February 5th.
It is inconceivable to me that we're opposing 11 storeys across from a brand new GO station.
This right here! Go stations are exactly where density should be front and center!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 12:17 PM
Hammer'd

I do think 11 stories is maybe a couple stories too tall for the area but I'm not opposed to it enough that I'd actually justify holding it up like this. If more 7-15 story buildings go up along the James North corridor in the future (a good location for the next one would be that empty lot across from This Ain't Hollywood), this should fit in a lot better.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 2:49 PM

Can't a bunch of us get together and start attending these meetings as a group? We have to start showing up

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:46 PM

LOL…big surprise. NIMBYs never stop. Lower it to 8 floors and they'll say that 'ruins neighbourhood character'.

One thing you never hear NIMBYs say a word about tho is all the 3-storey McMansions built all over the city.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

Isn't there a provincial law where it requires high density around GO/Transit stations?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Isn't there a provincial law where it requires high density around GO/Transit stations?
Yeah I thought there was something with regards to that.

It is kind of sad that by the standards of today's city planning staff, a huge number of existing buildings would not be allowed. Including the one I live in for sure.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 5:30 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

The Places to Grow Act def plans for high density around higher order of transit. Thorne says this is too much density when it doesn't meet the minimum in the Act at 3-4 floors. 11 is good but wish it was 30.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 5:38 PM

Definitely seems like a reasonable height to me -- especially being so close to the GO Station.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 5:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

Provincial laws overrule local bylaws. So if they appeal it, they'll likely win.

And people wonder why there's so many redtape and hurdles in the City, forcing projects to take years to get shovels in the ground.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
Can't a bunch of us get together and start attending these meetings as a group? We have to start showing up
It's easier to pretend that the people with the final say on density in this city are just misunderstood and happen to share a high minded vision of a Hamilton that is aspiring to be Paris or Washington DC, and not just a parochial backwater stuck in the past where highrise = minorities and other undesirables.

Fwiw I'm all for fine-grained focused planning practices.

Last edited by anactualalien; Jan 31, 2019 at 6:23 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton