HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 11:57 PM
Hammer'd

Sobey's would indeed be nice. It's only a matter of time. They're saturating the urban format in Toronto.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 10:14 PM
Hammer'd

A chunk of the building at the Northwest corner of John/King William fell off some time this morning. I passed as City Engineers were taping off the corner of the intersection and inspecting the building. It seems that some of the roof overhang and some wooden details over the corner of the building have fallen off. The rest of it is sagging. This is the building that also had a drug bust about 3-4 months ago. As far as I know, it's mostly or completely vacant now and obviously in disrepair.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 2:10 AM
Closed account

King William is done like dinner.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 4:26 AM
Hammer'd

Yah, ironically I came up to this right after coming from the Lister Block/ex-Balfour building. Those Skydragon folks must feel really discouraged.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 6:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

pic?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 8:38 AM
Hammer'd

Unfortunately not. I'll try to get one today.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 5:15 PM

It's the nice building attached to the old fire department and the old barcode night club. I have always liked this building.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 5:40 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

well?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 11:42 AM

I have an old picture of it:

I saw people working on it a few months ago, I thought it was being renovated

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 12:15 PM
Closed account

^^ They were prolly bringing in their grow-op equip! haha

This bldg has always had a shady rep. I personally love it and pray it's saved soon...
Soon King William will start to resemble Main bwteeen Hess & Bay

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 12:19 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

txs... nice building shame its being left to rot :S

interesting firehall next to it....

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 12:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'll start off a good rumour......looks like the newly empty lot at Main and Longwood will be sold soon. This morning there were two suited up guys walking around the property and talking to each other, one was on a bluetooth (talking on the phone).

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 5:51 PM
Closed account

I hope you're right, and I hope whatever it is is a good fit. It was going to be a pizza pizza, but they backed out at the last minute. I just hope they build to the street and keep parking to the rear. Between WSS and Columbia College, there's a large carless customer base within a 2 minute walk.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 7:57 PM
Hammer'd

Shot from today of the building at King Willy/John.

As you can see, the roof detail on the corner kinda rotted away and fell off. The entire frontage of the building is taped off along the sidewalk because there's a bunch of other pieces that look suspect to fall off soon.

Also, anyone know whats up with this building farther up on King William, near Lister? It's been empty for at least a year or two, way before the Balfour fiasco. Looks like it got a really nice resto at some point.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 8:00 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

o txs poor thing someone should fix those peacs so they don't fall on someone atleast.......

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 10:18 PM
Closed account

King & Wentworth:

Anyone know what's going here yet? They're starting to build something, using white 'bricks' (sorry, I don't know the actual name of the building material).

I'm talking about the S/E corner, not the old Balmoral Tavern site.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I'll start off a good rumour......looks like the newly empty lot at Main and Longwood will be sold soon. This morning there were two suited up guys walking around the property and talking to each other, one was on a bluetooth (talking on the phone).
The Indian restaurant next door has just been sold. Wonder if the new owners are the same as that of the empty lot.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 10:35 PM
It's Hammer Time

Something is up because I noticed this week that the For Sale sign on the vacant property at Main and Longwood is gone as well.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 3:02 AM
Closed account

probably going to knock down the Indian Resto and turn 3/4 of the site into parking with a Hortons. lol

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 2:46 PM
Closed account

I've also noticed they've started to dig where the Urology portables used to be at the S/W corner of the St Joe's property.

Anyone know if they're planning on building an actual Bldg or if they're just digging for more portables?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton