HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 5:48 PM

The new Residence Inn style building in downtown Grand Rapids would look great in downtown Detroit. It looks great and I feel it would really fit in well.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 6:53 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post
The new Residence Inn style building in downtown Grand Rapids would look great in downtown Detroit. It looks great and I feel it would really fit in well.
Agreed! And there are so many vacant, wedge-shaped lots in downtown Detroit that could accommodate that "flatiron" massing. It was not a very big site at all for the Grand Rapids hotel - many doubted it could even be done.

This site, for instance - bounded by Bagley, Grand River, and Cass - looks comparable in size to the Grand Rapids site.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 2:42 AM

Old Detroit Lions building to make way for a 227-room boutique hotel in Corktown

Quote:
Plans for a new 227-room hotel in Detroit's Corktown took a step forward Tuesday, even as occupancy rates for the city's downtown-area hotels are near record lows.

The proposed seven-story, $74-million Godfrey Hotel would be built at 1401 Michigan Ave., pending the demolition of a vacant building that years ago housed administrative offices for the Detroit Lions and later the City Cab Co.

The project is a joint venture by Chicago-based Oxford Capital Group and Farmington Hills-based Hunter Pasteur Homes, and received approval Tuesday from the Michigan Strategic Fund to round out its future $5.1-million state- and local-level brownfield tax capture at the site as a development incentive.
Article Link: https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...wn/4557048001/

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:14 AM

The Exchange Detroit was suppose to break ground in December, but it seems like it is "officially" going to break ground in April and be finished in July 2022. Detroit needs more pre-fab construction. This project might be done by the time Monroe Blocks actually re-break ground lol.

urbanize.city/detroit/post/construction-start-soon-exchange-greektown

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
The Exchange Detroit was suppose to break ground in December, but it seems like it is "officially" going to break ground in April and be finished in July 2022. Detroit needs more pre-fab construction. This project might be done by the time Monroe Blocks actually re-break ground lol.

urbanize.city/detroit/post/construction-start-soon-exchange-greektown
I'm not sure where they got the April groundbreaking date from. This document states a March 1 groundbreaking, and the parking lot currently on site was closed down about 2 weeks ago, which contributes to the belief work will begin March 1.

By the way, there's a thread for The Exchange that can be found here.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 5:51 AM

Was looking through the CBO page on the city’s website when I found this project in Corktown that as far as I know hasn’t been mentioned here. It includes a 7 story apartment building, 7 townhomes, and a separate 3 story parking garage.

https://detroitmi.gov/departments/pl...ichigan-church

Last edited by DetroitSportsFan; Feb 25, 2021 at 10:01 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 10:41 PM

A few takeaways:

The garage is going to be built partially on a surface lot that's identified in the Godfrey documents as remaining a surface lot for their use, so its safe to assume the garage will be for both developments.

Two buildings will be demolished for this project: the Downtown Self Storage building for the garage and Bucharest Grill for 1611 Michigan. Not really a huge deal as they're not architecturally or historically significant. Hopefully Bucharest decides to reopen in the area.

I wish they had changed up the design some. It looks exactly like the Godfrey, which makes sense since its coming from the same developers. Overall though this looks like a great project that'll help fill in some gaps.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 11:42 PM

This and the Godfrey will add some nice needed density

Go Detroit Go!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post

I wish they had changed up the design some. It looks exactly like the Godfrey, which makes sense since its coming from the same developers. Overall though this looks like a great project that'll help fill in some gaps.
Yeah they should switch it up a little with some gray brick, it's a little too matching but this is a very minuscule criticism. It looks fantastic.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 12:58 AM

Site plan for Michigan and Church:

Source

Supino Pizzeria, known for its thin-crust pizza, opens a second location in New Center

Quote:
Fans of East Coast-style pizza now can get a taste of 'za from an Eastern Market favorite in Detroit's New Center.

Supino Pizzeria, known for its thin-crust pizzas, opened a second location on Woodward in New Center on Wednesday.

It may look like New York style, but owner Dave Mancini said customers told him the pizza is more New Haven-style, which he translates to East Coast-style on the menu.

The New Center spot is on Woodward near Grand Boulevard. It's in the same area as The Kitchen, by Cooking with Que and newly opened Baobab Fare, which specializes in East African cuisine. The New Center area interested Mancini because of the other nearby restaurants.

TCF Bank Opens New Banking Center in Detroit

Quote:
TCF Bank opened a new banking center this morning inside the Arab American and Chaldean Council Community Center, on Seven Mile Road between Woodward Avenue and John R. on the city’s east side, an area where there is not a bank within a three-mile radius.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 5:13 PM
somewhere in-between

^ Good news all around. 3 miles is a long way to walk for a bank branch.

I thought I'd share these great-looking interior shots of the newly-renovated office space for The Kresge Foundation's Detroit office, in midtown. The remodel work was led by Brinker - I think it turned out well!

Source: LinkedIn | Brinker

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 7:18 PM

A lot of new renderings for the Michigan and Church project.

https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitm...compressed.pdf

The parking garage actually looks surprisingly good and I think they’re even putting some retail space into it.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 10:48 PM

It does look pretty good. Still I don't see why they cant save the historical building on the block and just increase the garage height another floor.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 12:07 AM

Another new development has been posted on the city's website.

West Boston Apartments to be renovated, kept as affordable housing

Quote:
A 27-unit apartment building just west of Boston-Edison was purchased by Develop Detroit last fall and will remain affordable housing for at least the next 25 years. The purchase was aided by a loan from the Detroit Housing for the Future Fund (DHFF), and funds from the National Housing Trust Community Development Fund and DHFF's Developers of Color Predevelopment Matching Grant Award.

The West Boston Apartments have 18 one-bedroom and nine two bedroom apartments. Apartments will be listed for rent at 50 percent area median income or below. Residents who qualify could pay just $150 to $200 per month.

Renovations include apartments, a new roof, HVAC, lighting, landscaping, and improvements to interior common areas. Renovations, totalling $560,000, are expected to be done by September.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 2:40 PM

I am having issues uploading photos. Does this forum not use jpeg? I am only seeing a url link.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 2:48 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambe160 View Post
I am having issues uploading photos. Does this forum not use jpeg? I am only seeing a url link.
Yeah it's a little bit old-school on here. Images can be JPEGs, but they must be hosted online and then linked to. I think they do it this way to save space on the forum's host servers. Check out this Image Posting Guide. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too difficult (like Euchre).

I use OneDrive and Dropbox to host my own photos. They're free (to a certain extent, until you max-out on storage).

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 2:28 PM
somewhere in-between

Listed for sale for $26 million last year, the Roberts Riverfront Hotel sold this week for $15 million -

Quote:
Roberts Riverwalk Hotel fetches high bid of $15 million in online auction
Kiek Pinho | Crain's Detroit Business
March 24, 2021
Dan & Jennifer Gilbert just announced that they are making a $500 million investment in Detroit neighborhoods, partially in the form of paying off property tax debt for residents. It's pretty incredible -

Quote:
Gilbert announces $500M to revitalize Detroit neighborhoods
Charles E. Ramirez, James David Dickson | The Detroit News
March 26, 2021

Last edited by deja vu; Apr 4, 2021 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 11:23 PM
somewhere in-between

Excited to see that this will kick off soon -

Source: Model D Media | Courtesy City of Detroit

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 2:23 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Dan & Jennifer Gilbert just announced that they are making a $500 million investment in Detroit neighborhoods, partially in the form of paying off property tax debt for residents. It's pretty incredible -
Now, news that the Gilberts are gifting $30 million to Cranbrook Academy. While that is technically metro Detroit, I'm posting it here, as a continuation of the recent announcement that the Gilberts will give millions to relieve Detroiter's property tax debts. The Cranbrook gift is the largest in the Institute's ~100-year history, and it is targeted toward increasing racial and ethnic diversity at the school -

Quote:
Jennifer and Dan Gilbert donate $30 million to Cranbrook Academy of Art
Kurt Nagl | Crains Detroit Business
April 06, 2021

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 9:12 PM
somewhere in-between

Detroit -

Warner Norcross + Judd's new office space at 2715 Woodward Ave. in The District Detroit is now open. The mosaic in the main lobby (showing the historic street layout) is especially nice! Photos via LinkedIn - Olympia Development -

Source: LinkedIn | Olympia Development of Michigan

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations