HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I think it looks good.
Nothing special, but I think it looks pretty decent, at least from the pictures. It depends what that middle section looks like, but I'll go take a look when it's done. I'm also glad it's not as green as the original design in the renders.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 6:16 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachlanholmes View Post
Looks like the facade is nearly done. Unfortunately you can't really see in the pictures, but the metal panels have some sort of texture to them and aren't perfectly flat as they appear in photos.

Some of the pictures came out blurry... sorry about that.

I kinda wish they had used a brighter stone to match the lister terracotta a bit as everything being sorta dark makes the annex feel a bit gloomy and kinda melt in and not be noticeable - and I guess this was sorta the goal but still.. it's ok for being generic panelled design. I am curious if there is any connection to it from the lister building - although I think probably not - I don't think they connected to the rear entrance.

Still, it's nice to FINALLY have this block all be filled back in now - it's about time

This stretch of downtown is definitely the prettiest and most cultural. I just wish it extended like this for quite a ways down the street. It's so short. At least we still have a lot of potential for something on the otherside, although I doubt it will reflect the rich historic look of king william..

Also the terracotta is peeling all over the lister again.. it may require consistent repair.. not sure why it is peeling so soon..

also kinda wish they hadn't opted for grey cornices on the building next door - just makes it look so glum.. esp. considering the dark red and gold vibrant look of it before..

also wouldn't kill someone to throw a fresh coat of green paint on the cornice beside that one - that's the only building now left that still looks crappy on the top..

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 6:26 PM
Hamilton Historian

For comparison here is the original render - let's not forget this isn't being shown in full sunlight - there may still be greenish elements to it that show up in the sun:

also as you can see the original "stone" entrance showed up a lot brighter giving a nicer contrast. Also the flags add some much needed colour - I REALLY hate when people put things in the render they know won't be in the final product in order to try to jazz it up - it's false advertising.

Can't tell if that orange strip above the doors will be there yet.. and they seem to have gotten rid of the glass block design above the orange.. all the little subtle details appear to have been removed for more generic design.. I don't understand this city's new obsession with monochromatic colours.. it's like they are afraid of making anything stand out.. I'm looking at YOU vranich..

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 6:32 PM
Ham-burgher

From yesterday's Spec (Jan 28): Cranes and construction on Hamilton’s skyline, by John Rennison

Fascia work on the Lister Annex, crane for Cobalt on the right, and Kiwi cranes in the background.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 8:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

Love that image.

King William in five years will look completely different, such a dramatic transformation.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 8:26 PM
Hamilton Historian

Went by yesterday - the lister annex exterior is pretty much done - they just have to peel the coverings off the entranceway panels.

It's very.. dark.. all ofi t - it's hard to really notice any details.. I get they did this to not take away from the lister block but still.. it feels the odd man out on a strip where every building has character. I honestly think our era no longer knows how to make anything of architectural interest that isn't just a revemp of what is already there.

The original render shoed the entranceway as being the focus point being a lot brighter - but this whole building is now just a collection of blacks greys and beiges.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 12:17 AM
It's a nickname from work

It does look awfully drab, doesn't it. You don't need to make every building look sleek

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 6:18 PM
Hammer'd

This place does look a bit dark and bland during the day but at night you can see through it quite well cause of all the glass which shows off the interior lighting well.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
This place does look a bit dark and bland during the day but at night you can see through it quite well cause of all the glass which shows off the interior lighting well.
Hmm. I didn't think about it like that. King William really comes to life at night, so maybe this'll look much better once this is finished and we can congregate again.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 8:53 PM
Ham-burgher

I don't mind that it's a bit bland. It's not unattractive, but doesn't compete with its neighbours... and the likelihood of being able to design something that would closely (and successfully) match them on a public-sector budget would have been small.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 9:56 PM

Drove by today and the plastic wrap on the stone around the entrance is starting to peel off a few panels, revealing the stone underneath. It’s a nice beige stone like the renderings, and should bring a bit more colour to the facade.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 3:34 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Drove by today and the plastic wrap on the stone around the entrance is starting to peel off a few panels, revealing the stone underneath. It’s a nice beige stone like the renderings, and should bring a bit more colour to the facade.
It's actually been peeled like that for quite some time now.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 7:05 PM

Inside the new portion. Looks like a restaurant or something is going on because they have a kitchen in the back:

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 3:29 AM

It kind of replicates the Lister Block but like without any of the details. Like some weird unloaded rendering of the Lister Block. It's kind of weird in person.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 2:00 PM

I think that’s the point - reference the original building, while not trying to copy it.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 2:14 PM

I like it. It's like a modern version based off an old style.
It's better to mix in different types of styles than having it all the same.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 4:31 PM
Hammer'd

It's bland as hell but I still like it.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 5:57 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I like it. It's like a modern version based off an old style.
It's better to mix in different types of styles than having it all the same.
I'm with you. It's nice, but doesn't distract from its more attractive neighbours. I'd rather have had the Balfour Bldg still standing and renovated, but this is good to fill that gap.
(and it needs more than two trees out front... I hope they add two more on the west side)

King William may become our most eclectic downtown street. One could make a case that it already is.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Mar 21, 2021 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 6:34 PM

When Cobalt's finished, they install that gate, and somebody finally builds were Zellers used to be, this'll be the best street downtown. Not bad for a previously unremarkable sidestreet.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 7:45 PM

When is this gate going in?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton