HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Would this count by his broad definition minus being residential?

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5093...7i16384!8i8192
I defer to lio, but that does not strike me as something that fits into the concept of "wooden shacks" as he has advanced it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Also, I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but I just found out that McTamney's is still McTamney's over half a century later!
The business name and building look like a real throwback to "old Toronto" of the 50s.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:56 AM

Quote:
In that case, here's the textbook shack for the purposes of this thread:
wooden_shack_2
Ha, yes, that's what I was envisioning.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
What is that weird building with stacked cubes next to the freeway in the second link?
It’s the cube house
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:39 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by shappy View Post
It’s the cube house
Video Link
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:48 AM

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 5:45 AM

does this count

2020-06-01_05-18-30 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
One of my beloved old shack restaurants in Montreal. Going, going...Gone!

ctv

Downtown Montreal institution Bar-B Barn has closed, leaving fans bereft
That place came up in conversation with friends tonight! I had never been to it. My friend lived and worked in Pointe-Claire for about five years around the turn of the millennium and he loved going there with his wife.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
That place came up in conversation with friends tonight! I had never been to it. My friend lived and worked in Pointe-Claire for about five years around the turn of the millennium and he loved going there with his wife.
There is a second location on Boul. des Sources (Dollard-des-Ormeaux, adjacent to Pointe-Claire) but it is nowhere near as tasty nor interesting as the original on Rue Guy (the one shown). The ribs are quite different here than at say, Tony Roma's. Much larger, much sweeter/smokier....they just taste great. Almost everytime I went into the Bar-B-Barn, I would see local celebrities (especially players from the Habs) and quite often Hollywood stars. deNiro was there once, chomping down a full hawg (ribs).

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
does this count

2020-06-01_05-18-30 by snub_you, on Flickr
This looks like the definition of this thread.
This particular shack was once a condo sales office.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The business name and building look like a real throwback to "old Toronto" of the 50s.
Yep, exactly what I remarked to myself too upon seeing it (is that turn of phrase okay in English? It's directly translated French, but I don't know any other way to express that exact concept.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Ha, yes, that's what I was envisioning.
? You didn't see the other thread...? It spawned this one while setting the standard for Wooden Shack™ from which a CEO can walk to work in his shiny downtown office tower.

I wouldn't have thought that the shack at 68 6A Street Northeast, Calgary, AB would be news to any SSP Canada regular by now.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
This looks like the definition of this thread.
No, it goes way beyond merely that, it wins the thread... _if_ it's actually a legitimate individual property that's permanently zoned for Single Family Detached. (In other words, someone could live in there, and as long as they continue to refuse developers' astronomical offers for their property, they can stay there as the decades pass; there's nothing the City can do to get them out of there.)

I doubt that's the case, though.

It's somewhat similar to that time I bought an old fifth wheel camper and brought it to a jobsite where I knew we were going to spend a lot of time in the next future. That kind of stuff wouldn't count.

Still a pretty epic picture though - an even greater contrast than what Calgary has to offer!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 5:03 PM

One thing about east-coast cities in Canada, especially Halifax, is that our classic squared-off, saltbox Victorian houses can either look like this, or like this, depending on how well-preserved or well-restored they are.

However ramshackle an old masonry building is, it's unlikely to become too shack-like. But these wood-framed buildings can quickly look like little more than featureless cubes when you tear away the Victorian gingerbread and replace wood shingles with aluminum/vinyl siding. There are plenty of renovations underway to de-shackify houses like these, but there are still lots around. Some are quite distinguished-looking and well-appointed inside, which is a weird juxtaposition with their extremely humble curb appeal.

The most shack-like building in my neighbourhood has got to be this old house, which is as rough-looking inside as it is outside. It's slated to be torn down for a new mid-rise, I believe.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 5:11 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Not quite shacks, but low-slung commercial strips butting up against modern skyscrapers is very Toronto:

Some shackier shacks tucked into laneways:

My pics

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 2:50 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
The most shack-like building in my neighbourhood has got to be this old house, which is as rough-looking inside as it is outside. It's slated to be torn down for a new mid-rise, I believe.
One big distinction in Halifax and a lot of cities is owner-occupied vs. rental and then beyond that normal rental vs. property awaiting redevelopment. A real estate and development boom can make the city look worse in some ways even if prices are going up.

Halifax would look much nicer if it had better standards in this area. It has unsightly property type rules that are used rarely but there's not much to encourage or help people to maintain the character of the average houses that make up a large proportion of the inner-city building stock. I would guess that a small nudge in the right direction (some kind of funding or tax break for nicer wood cladding or maintenance and enhancements of traditional vernacular features) could make a dramatic difference over the course of a decade or so. Lunenburg manages to do this and has lower real estate values and rents.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 3:23 PM

Last edited by yaletown_fella; Sep 6, 2020 at 3:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Yep, exactly what I remarked to myself too upon seeing it (is that turn of phrase okay in English? It's directly translated French, but I don't know any other way to express that exact concept.)
It makes sense to me.

Quote:
? You didn't see the other thread...? It spawned this one while setting the standard for Wooden Shack™ from which a CEO can walk to work in his shiny downtown office tower.

I wouldn't have thought that the shack at 68 6A Street Northeast, Calgary, AB would be news to any SSP Canada regular by now.
You're reading too much into my comment... I knew exactly which house that was

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 4:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

If we're just looking for shacks and they don't necessarily have to be at the foot of a tower...

My street.

One of the old trailers around Quidi Vidi Village.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 5:19 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
One of the old trailers around Quidi Vidi Village.
I actually love seeing this sort of thing which is quite common in NS; rarely in greater Hfx but often in rural areas. Weathered and a bit dilapidated but with a certain kind of charm. When the paint starts to chip letting the wood peek through while there are stains from mildew, moss, and water runoff to me it evokes a kind of timeless simplicity and oneness with nature. But of course it's something I can enjoy as an outside observer, I'd be wary of living in such places for fear of leaks, drafts, and rot requiring expensive repairs.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 6:38 PM

Quote:
No, it goes way beyond merely that, it wins the thread... _if_ it's actually a legitimate individual property that's permanently zoned for Single Family Detached. (In other words, someone could live in there, and as long as they continue to refuse developers' astronomical offers for their property, they can stay there as the decades pass; there's nothing the City can do to get them out of there.)

I doubt that's the case, though.

It's somewhat similar to that time I bought an old fifth wheel camper and brought it to a jobsite where I knew we were going to spend a lot of time in the next future. That kind of stuff wouldn't count.

Still a pretty epic picture though - an even greater contrast than what Calgary has to offer!
Ya this is not a single family home, it was a condo sales office and is zoned for another tower afaik.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada