HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNerd View Post
It literally says in the article that Watson preferred the Dows site and was disappointed with the Tunneys selection. He then decided to broker a secret deal with 3 levels of government. I also told you to check some of the many other sources. It's no secret that Watson is corrupt. When you're owned by a handful of developers and have a history of shady politics it's hard to deny that. I didn't realize there were so many Watson fan boys on this forum.

Consiparcy theories. Come one man. Are you ok???
So basically your evidence of corruption is:

a) news report that Watson preferred the Dow's site to the Tunney's site (which, according to the same report, was the subject of "near-universal condemnation... a surprise pick that wasn’t among the hospital’s top choices")

b) the fact that he had a (widely reported) secret meeting to broker a deal with elected officials from other levels of government after the site selection process had dragged on for 8 years and had not led to consensus.

Plus your bald assertion that it is "no secret" that Watson is corrupt.

It was wrong when you did it the first time, and it is even more wrong to keep doing it once that has been explained to you.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post
Baird literally gave the civic the land across the street from the current site.... And the site literally ended back in the neighborhood.

By your logic those well connected people are the people currently trying to get it out of the chosen site and moved to tunneys...

Or are you referring to the hospital being at tunneys? As for well connected people, the few staffers I know live downtown.
Baird and pretty much anyone who works at or knows anything about the functioning of the hospital thought the Farm location was a slam dunk and a no-brainer. Unfortunately, special interest groups immediately jumped on it. Wealthy people in the neighbourhood (some of whom I know) did not openly oppose the project but instead funded groups like the Friends of the Farm and other scientists to make the case for them. In a city surrounded by beautiful farmland they were somehow successful in arguing that losing <10% of the experimental farm would be an environmental disaster and a national shame. Baird quickly disappeared into the shadows and no longer spoke openly about "his" plan for the Civic. This entire process has been an example of powerful NIMBYism at its best. Kind of reminds me of another group of friendly neighbours who almost succeeded in permanently removing a stadium from a site that has housed a stadium for over 100 years; arguing it's the wrong spot for a stadium....

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho View Post
Had to do a double take and make sure this wasn't a Beaverton article when I read that quote.. although coming from Jan Harder I guess it's not an unusual statement to make.
First time I agree with Harder.

Quote:
Why should a Provincial hospital require a municipal contribution? The parking garage is not funded by the Province. The hospital has centred their entire project around a massive garage which they cannot afford. Now they're asking the city to bail them out. The hospital board is completely incompetent and has turned this project into a boondoggle.
Aren't you in the "build the parking underground camp"? Or do you prefer we actually "pave paradise to put a a (surface) parking lot"?

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:09 PM

Quote:
That's rich, that Williamoforange is accusing anyone of spouting nonsense. We've seen your posts. I provided several source that back my claim of Watson making backroom secretive deals. None of which are conspiracies. You can remove your tinfoil hat and go back to whatever it is you do.

Everyone knows the hospital board rejected Tunney's, and the NCC rejected the Dows/Farm site. You're not providing anything new or useful information to the conversation. Again, I'll inform you that it not the mandate of a hospital board to self-select which piece of land they fancy to build a provincial hospital. They possess no qualifications whatsoever in the subject. If you'd bothered to research the hospital board you'd know that.
The Province sat back and let the Feds and Hospital choose a site. So if the Province isn't choosing the site, who else would? The hospital's preferred site was across the street, and Baird finally gave it up after years of discussions. As you may recall, there was quite a bit of controversy about that site because of agricultural research land.

The Trudeau Liberals promised during the election campaign that they would look for a new site (to contrast the anti-science Harper Conservatives). When they were elected, they put that on the NCC, which has no experience in studying sites for a hospital (QCH is on NCC land, but I'm fairly confident the NCC had no involvement beyond signing a lease).

When the NCC chose Tunney's I don't believe they had a publicly provided a ranking for the other sites, so we don't know how well Dow's Lake faired. What we do know is that the hospital board, with quite a bit of experience running several hospitals and the logistics associated, rejected the site.

Watson, the Federal Liberals and (I believe) the Provincial Liberals announced to the citizens of Ottawa that they would sit down with the Hospital Board to find a new site. Dow's Lake was chosen because it is near the existing hospital which makes moving equipment to the new site far simpler, not to mention better access to the OHI and has easy access to the west (via Carling and the Queensway) and the south (via PoW). Tunney's on the other hand has better transit access, but is poorly accessible to the rest of the city, with the Parkway often jammed with Quebec residents heading to the Champlain Bridge and Parkdale jammed by Tunney's workers heading to and from the Queensway.

Dow's Lake also makes sense because historically, it's been home to Government Buildings and surface parking lots. We're not losing a long established green space, as some claim. The one patch of grass will be replaced with a new elevated park that will include more points of interest, retail and public washrooms. It could arguably became a greater destination than the current patch of grass (to be clear, I'm talking about Princess Juliana Park, not Dow's Lake which will remain a more important destination, no doubt).

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
When the NCC chose Tunney's I don't believe they had a publicly provided a ranking for the other sites, so we don't know how well Dow's Lake faired. What we do know is that the hospital board, with quite a bit of experience running several hospitals and the logistics associated, rejected the site.
I couldn’t find a link, but I’m quite sure that I saw something at the time that indicated that it ranked second. It got a “very good” rating on the summary report that the NCC published. Regardless of the exact ranking, it clearly got good marks in the process, so describing it as the “wrong site” and Tunney’s as the “right site” is just silly. It is possible for there to be two good options.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa