HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
An SMS-type message that alerts you the next time you look at your phone would be best. This is a feature that the system was designed to have, but that the CRTC in their great wisdom decided would not be implemented in Canada. Now, most people who can ignore these messages do, which effectively neuters the entire emergency system.
Yep, that's the problem I have with it. It scares the shit out of me in the middle of the night, I smash my screen to stop it from screaming and then I try to fall back asleep. When I wake up, I have no idea about the details of the amber alert. So if I happen to come across the abductor (for abduction incidences), I'll never know. The current system is ineffective and annoying. Send a text with a link to a site with more details and pictures, etc. I can reference it anytime after it's sent so I know what to look out for.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 7:19 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Yep, that's the problem I have with it. It scares the shit out of me in the middle of the night, I smash my screen to stop it from screaming and then I try to fall back asleep. When I wake up, I have no idea about the details of the amber alert. So if I happen to come across the abductor (for abduction incidences), I'll never know. The current system is ineffective and annoying. Send a text with a link to a site with more details and pictures, etc. I can reference it anytime after it's sent so I know what to look out for.
I concur. Whenever that goes off, I think airstrike or home invasion first.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 12:31 AM

There's an article on the CBC site now that is highly critical of the Alert Ready system, not for Amber Alert fatigue, but arguing that we're using outdated technology. A common complaint in this forum has been the blaring klaxon rather than simple text message but I don't think anyone's brought up this point:

Quote:
He said this was a devastating lesson to learn after the 2011 Norway shooting, where dozens of teens who were killed by a gunman on a remote island were given away by the alert sounds on their phones.

Australia and other countries have systems that don't override user settings, Hallowes said, but Canada does not. Currently he said someone hiding from a shooter in Canada would have to turn off their phone completely and give up the ability to call for help to ensure their location wasn't revealed.
Article suggests we should switch to an SMS alert system or at least disable the klaxon when the phone is on silent.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...stem-1.6449801

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 2:42 AM

I hope they switch it over to SMS.
As I mentioned above, it's not just that it's more intrusive - it's also very ineffective because when the alert is turned off in a panic to shut it up, people don't get a chance to read it and then it's no longer available to them later on.

I mentioned that this is an issue in the middle of the night, but I found that I do the same thing when I'm on a work call and my phone blasts the alert. I quickly turn it off so I don't interrupt the call I'm on (especially when I'm the one talking).

I can't remember the last time I was able to read the amber alert.

Save these blasts for end-of-world events (ie. tornado, nuke, Leafs winning the cup, etc.)

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Save these blasts for end-of-world events (ie. tornado, nuke, Leafs winning the cup, etc.)
I'll hold you to that if the Leafs win this spring.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada