HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Design commission will dumb it down. Clean lines and all that BS. Watch the design degrade as they implement their suggestions. You can't have angles, planes, notches and protrusions. All details must be scrubbed to make sure the building projects cold, flat, lifeless glass walls.
Unfortunately, past behavior predicts future performance. This is Portland after-all; therefore, the above is much closer to the truth than it isn't. The only thing I would add is that we will also see this project reduced to a maximum height of about 210' or less. (Remember, this is Portland.)

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 10:58 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoberheim View Post
Unfortunately, past behavior predicts future performance. This is Portland after-all; therefore, the above is much closer to the truth than it isn't. The only thing I would add is that we will also see this project reduced to a maximum height of about 210' or less. (Remember, this is Portland.)
That seems a bit much, Portland has built a number of tall towers in recent years that didn't dumb down their design. What has been proposed so far for Block 216 is pretty much in line with what has been built in recent years.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Don't state your opinion as fact and expect to have any credibility with the folks on this forum, especially as this was only your 12th post in the forum.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
If it was just 1 floor retail with office space-maybe, but this a mixed use building with a hotel and office/residential space--a lot of potential tax base for the city.-I think it will go barring any massive economic downturn.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
Don't state your opinion as fact and expect to have any credibility with the folks on this forum, especially as this was only your 12th post in the forum.
You know, all I did was make a prediction...an opinion if you will. I think you could lighten up a bit. I've been reading this forum with delight for years and could not would not possibly care anything less than I already do about another persons "post count" (however, I see that post count is important to you). Urbanlife and 58rhodes seem to be able to converse on my post without ad hominem attack, therefore they have my respect....

Now on to the discussion at hand.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 9:00 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Tiresome and jaded. Big, expensive projects often hit roadblocks to realization unrelated to they're being in the city of Portland.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:15 AM

I hate to weigh in on this -- I don't know many of you personally, but having read this forum for many years (and participated somewhat), I kind of feel like I do in a way. I actually find this latest string of comments odd -- theoberheim shared his opinion and I can see people disagreeing or whatever, but the negative comments are a bit over the top. I think healthy disagreements are good, and I love seeing good debate going on on the board when it's constructive, but I'm not sure honestly where these latest comments are even really coming from. Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems to me that this site is best when people can post their opinions (especially newer people), and not feel like they are going to get disproportionately slammed for contributing.

Also, I've lived in San Diego for the past 5 years, but I'm still suffering from PDX withdrawal...you guys need to take more photos of Portland for me

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 9:05 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxf View Post
I hate to weigh in on this -- I don't know many of you personally, but having read this forum for many years (and participated somewhat), I kind of feel like I do in a way. I actually find this latest string of comments odd -- theoberheim shared his opinion and I can see people disagreeing or whatever, but the negative comments are a bit over the top. I think healthy disagreements are good, and I love seeing good debate going on on the board when it's constructive, but I'm not sure honestly where these latest comments are even really coming from. Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems to me that this site is best when people can post their opinions (especially newer people), and not feel like they are going to get disproportionately slammed for contributing.

Also, I've lived in San Diego for the past 5 years, but I'm still suffering from PDX withdrawal...you guys need to take more photos of Portland for me
I don't get around to posting pics on this site like I use to in the past, just too busy these days, but feel free to follow my instagram if you use that because I am always posting random pictures of Portland and Oregon.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 1:35 AM

DAR #2 summary memo

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 12:52 AM

Presentation [52 MB] for yesterday's DAR.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 2:42 AM

Looks like it would be a good addition to the skyline. Readers at NextPortland are having kittens because it isn’t a building that imitates architecture of the 1920s. The half block at 11th and Washington is begging for a better use!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 4:59 PM

I like the subtle changes to the base. The tower is more defined IMO. A very nice design and addition to Portland.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:14 AM

DAR #3 Summary Notes

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 5:52 PM

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 1:06 AM

Drawings [300 MB] and Staff Report, which does not yet recommend approval.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 3:53 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
I like the subtle changes to the base. The tower is more defined IMO. A very nice design and addition to Portland.
Couldn’t agree more.

Is there any question as to whether or not this will move forward at this point? Seems like there has been a serious amount of work done so far on the design and likely the financing.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Couldn’t agree more.

Is there any question as to whether or not this will move forward at this point? Seems like there has been a serious amount of work done so far on the design and likely the financing.
There was a Portland Business Journal article a couple weeks ago profiling Walter Bowen and BPM Real Estate. The gist of the article is that they are trying, but nothing is a given. The cost of the project is estimated at around $500M. That said, they do seem to have a 5-star hotel operator. They also pulled off the Pearl West and are just opening that basically full Broadway Tower.

I believe a subscription is required but here is a link to the article.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 4:45 PM

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 7:30 PM

Applicant Presentation [229 MB] from yesterday's DR hearing. Has a bunch of new renderings in it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 8:46 PM

That view coming over the Morrison Bridge though...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland