HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:33 PM

Something to do with solar?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Maybe the solar tower in Western Arizona that's been talked about for many years?

http://www.drroyspencer.com/2013/06/...tower-project/

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 9:10 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
You're thinking WAY too small. Solar would be a component of this, but not the whole thing.

But sadly, at this point if its even going to happen is unknown. Definitely won't hear any public news on that date unless something dramatic changes. Trying to get all the big political players, corporate heads, community fathers, etc. on one page is tricky to say the least.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 9:27 PM
under the influence...

Is it Google Fiber?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
You're thinking WAY too small. Solar would be a component of this, but not the whole thing.

But sadly, at this point if its even going to happen is unknown. Definitely won't hear any public news on that date unless something dramatic changes. Trying to get all the big political players, corporate heads, community fathers, etc. on one page is tricky to say the least.
Ok...final guess...

Sea port from the Gulf of Mexico?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:30 PM

TIF legislation?

Anyway, the hotel looks OK; the bottom part is nice enough, but the top looks very 80s office park to me. Wish we could see the top, as it would be if it weren't just flat to contrast the adjacent Luhrs.

If this were being built on the garage, or next to the Barrister Building, it'd be a welcome addition. I can't help but be disappointed that we're losing a great 2-story historic building for something so ordinary. The height will barely made a dent in the skyline (should be about the height of CityScape II, right?) with the Ballpark so close, and now the design is fairly average. I still think the pros beat the cons with the added foot traffic and attention to a part of diwntown that needs it.

There looks to be 2 entrances on Central - am I seeing that correctly? I thought the plans called for a Madison entrance to the hotel? The northern entrance also has an overhang, so is one of these their retail/restaurant?

Such a shame that guests will walk out to that hideous gray stone and white trimmed building on Madison- what's that building's use again? The blighted lot to the east isn't any more welcoming... I could cry every time I think of those 2 hotels still standing there.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex View Post
Is it Google Fiber?
No, that's happening anyhow though.

Quote:
Ok...final guess...

Sea port from the Gulf of Mexico?
Ooooh, that'd be nice, but no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
TIF legislation?
Oooh that'd be nice too, but no.

It's something less immediately tangible than all those things. Think more, long range planning kind of thing.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:54 PM

HSR rail between AZ-NV-CA?

I won't make any more guesses.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Such a shame that guests will walk out to that hideous gray stone and white trimmed building on Madison- what's that building's use again?
I believe it's some kind of court-use building.

But look at it again and imagine the stone is all glass...

It's actually a nice historic structure that still remains! It's pretty cool when you imagine what it used to be and admire that it's actually still there.

Here it is in a 1930s aerial photo of downtown - it has "PHOENIX" spelled on the roof (you can orient yourself in the picture based on Luhrs).

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 11:06 PM
self-important urbanista

I think Hoover's teasing us about a massive initiative to put a mega Circle K in every neighborhood. After all, a city council member who represents part of Downtown said that would be a good idea.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I think Hoover's teasing us about a massive initiative to put a mega Circle K in every neighborhood. After all, a city council member who represents part of Downtown said that would be a good idea.
Now THAT would be economic development!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 1:13 AM
skyscrapers!

If this is something that is some huge intangible thing that requires the backing of political leaders and will transform the local or state economy significantly, why in the world is a secret? It doesn't really make any sense. Wouldn't you want to build public excitement and backing for whatever it is? Is the concern that someone will steal the idea? Whatever it is, it sounds like it's in major flux like every other large idea to pass through this state in its history...

From the details you've provided thus far, all I can guess is that it was going to be yet another coalition of business leaders and elected officials trying to tout Arizona as a business friendly place. We've seen enough of those.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 4:49 AM

Why isn't Google Fiber going to happen here?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I believe it's some kind of court-use building.

But look at it again and imagine the stone is all glass...

It's actually a nice historic structure that still remains! It's pretty cool when you imagine what it used to be and admire that it's actually still there.

Here it is in a 1930s aerial photo of downtown - it has "PHOENIX" spelled on the roof (you can orient yourself in the picture based on Luhrs).

Thanks for the photos! My next question was regarding what was underneath as I remember hearing that it was indeed a historic structure.

How are facade restoration programs typically funded? I know most require a matching contribution, but where does the grant money come from? I think it would be great to start that program here, and even better if the City itself started the momentum by reworking this and any other hidden gems they have. Perhaps people can see value once brick and detailed accents are uncovered.

Lastly, do you think the large presence of government services near or along Jackson, notably the courts, jail, probation offices, rehab facilities, etc.precludes the warehouse district from ever attracting an affluent enough population to support a retail market? Can housing develop adjacent to the Ice House with a jail looking over it? Or, do cities 'grow up' to a point where this mix is expected in an urban setting?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 3:04 PM

^ Exterior Rehab grants are usually done by the cities. Unfortunately, the City is out of bond money and their probably won't be another round of bonds until 2018 or 19. By that time so many different groups will be competing for the funds, I imagine they'll get stretched pretty thin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe_Duck View Post
Why isn't Google Fiber going to happen here?
It is as far as I know. I was just saying thats not what I was alluding to.

EDIT: VV No, of course not.

Like I said, public rollout of this has been delayed. It's not a physical project, get that out of your head.

Last edited by HooverDam; Mar 24, 2014 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 11:43 PM

Hooverdam - It wasn't the announcement the other day about the proposed new interstate between Phoenix and Las Vegas? ( Hope it is better than that!!!)

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 4:05 PM

We may see some action pretty soon at the Luhrs property. A demo permit for the south building was posted today, and it expires on July 24, 2014. Another building permit was posted but it doesn't have details yet.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 4:09 PM

Bitter and Twisted is looking great. Love the quality!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 5:32 AM

Looks like things are moving forward on the 19 story hotel at Luhrs, quite a bit of permit activity lately...

"TITLE OF PLAN: MASS GRADING PLAN BASEMENT ONLY MARRIOTT RESIDENCE INN - COURTYARD AT LUHR'S
DESCRIPTION OF WORK: GRADING & DRAINAGE IMPROVEMENTS PER APPROVED PLAN.
SCOPE OF WORK INCLUDES DIGGING THE BASEMENT FOR A NEW MARRIOTT RESIDENCE INN AT THE COURTYARD AT LUHR'S.
A NEW GRADING AND DRAINAGE PLAN"

"DESCRIPTION OF WORK:CIVIL MISC PERMIT FOR PRE-CONSTRUCTION MEETING TO DISCUSS TEMPORARY CONSTRUCTION STAGING, SITE
PROTECT, STRIPING PLAN AND ROW CLOSURE DETAILS FOR THE PROPOSED 19 STORY HOTEL"

"DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
TOTAL DEMOLITION OF EXISTING 2-STORY OFFICE BLD- 124 S. CENTRAL
*REMODEL OF ADJACENT PARKING GARAGE TO REMOVE EXISTING ELEVATORS THAT SERVED DEMOLISHED BUILDING UNDER SEPARATE
PERMIT - 175 S. 1ST AVE"

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 2:09 PM

We needed a new crane downtown!!!!!! Sounds like in the fall?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest