HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Not sure what I think of the design overall but I hate the base. Just awful. There's dead space on the site right now due to the parking lot and there will be dead space on that site after this building is constructed due to the parking podium with seemingly little to no active use where the building meets the sidewalks. Just blank walls, screens, and a garage door.
Not super pleased with the base either, although I think the rendering makes it look worse than it is. Most of the wall is glass, with a lobby entrance on both Webster and 19th, according to the first floor plan. There's one retail space fronting 19th as well.
Your point still stands about the parking podium looking awful, and the garage/loading dock entrance ruins about half the frontage on Webster. The design looks decent above the podium at least...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:24 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Not sure what I think of the design overall but I hate the base. Just awful. There's dead space on the site right now due to the parking lot and there will be dead space on that site after this building is constructed due to the parking podium with seemingly little to no active use where the building meets the sidewalks. Just blank walls, screens, and a garage door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unpermitted_variance View Post
Not super pleased with the base either, although I think the rendering makes it look worse than it is. Most of the wall is glass, with a lobby entrance on both Webster and 19th, according to the first floor plan. There's one retail space fronting 19th as well.
Your point still stands about the parking podium looking awful, and the garage/loading dock entrance ruins about half the frontage on Webster. The design looks decent above the podium at least...
I made a new thread for this proposal since it's a pretty significant one if you guys want to continue the discussion there:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=250969

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Ah ok, so that's glass rather than screens. Still don't have a positive opinion of the base but this helps slightly minimize my distaste.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 5:13 PM
你的媽媽

Specs:
- 81 FT | 7 FLOORS
- 220 units
- 23 of the units will be BMR
- 1,960 sq ft ground floor retail
- Ground floor garage parking for 110 cars and 132 bicycles

Quote:
Multi-Family Housing Eligible For CEQA Streamlining At 2929 Broadway, Oakland

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON MAY 9, 2022

The City of Oakland has published the environmental analysis for 2929 Broadway, a seven-story mixed-use project located on Pill Hill, Oakland. The study concludes that the project is eligible for streamlining through the California Environmental Quality Act process, hastening the path toward approval and construction of 220 apartments. The Martin Group is responsible for the project as the applicant and property owner.

2929 Broadway will rise 81 feet tall to yield approximately 222,820 square feet with 147,400 square feet for residential use, 1,960 square feet for retail, and 19,260 square feet of open space, amenities, and lobby area. A ground-floor garage with two-story stackers will provide parking for 110 cars and, with significantly less space, long-term parking for 132 bicycles. Additional parking for 15 bikes will be installed along the sidewalk.

Of the 220 units, there will be 197 market-rate units and 23 very-low-income units. The proposal now uses the State Density Bonus law’s 50 percent bonus. The project also seeks waivers for open space and rear yard setback requirements to ensure property density. Unit sizes will vary between studios, one-bedrooms, and two-bedrooms.

Residential amenities will include the lobby and connected lounge, a fitness center, two courtyards on the second floor, and a rooftop deck with views across the city. Some residents will have access to private open-air balconies.

BDE Architecture is responsible for the building design. The podium-style building will feature an articulated facade using different colors and materials to emphasize its verticality. The building bends around an obtuse-angled corner of Broadway and 29th Street. The two-bedroom units on the sixth and seventh levels of this corner will be privy to curved glass windows, providing a dramatic flair with views over Broadway toward the Ordway Building and the Adams Point neighborhood.
https://sfyimby.com/2022/05/multi-fa...y-oakland.html

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Specs:
- 81 FT | 7 FLOORS
- 220 units
- 23 of the units will be BMR
- 1,960 sq ft ground floor retail
- Ground floor garage parking for 110 cars and 132 bicycles

https://sfyimby.com/2022/05/multi-fa...y-oakland.html
Why did they drop the size in retail? 1,960 for a building that big is pathetic.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 3:34 PM
你的媽媽

Not a particularly handsome project and not a fan of the surface parking portion, but 200 units to help increase density along this part of MacArthur in East Oakland is welcome.

Specs:
- 72 FT | 6 FLOORS
- 200 units
- 2,950 sq ft ground floor retail
- Surface and ground level garage parking for 91 cars and 60 bicycles

Quote:
Renderings Revealed For 7300 MacArthur Boulevard, Eastmont, Oakland

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON MAY 10, 2022

New renderings have been revealed for the six-story residential development at 7300 MacArthur Boulevard in Eastmont, Oakland. The project will replace the vacant parcel with roughly 200 units, including 20 affordable units. RMG Housing, a Los Angeles-based developer, is responsible for the application.

BDE Architecture is responsible for the design. The podium-style project will feature an articulated facade with three massings along MacArthur, defined by distinct colors and setbacks. A public mural will be included along the building’s 73rd Avenue face, designed by a local artist. In renderings, the illustration of a California Poppy is used as a placeholder to illustrate how a mural may look.

Facade materials will include cement plaster, concrete, and metal panels.

The 72-foot tall structure will yield 141,930 square feet, excluding the parking area. Of that space, 108,160 square feet will be rentable housing space and 2,950 square feet for retail. The remaining floor area will be for amenities, circulation, or mechanical functions. Parking will be included for 91 cars and 60 bicycles with some surface parking and a ground-level garage.

Unit sizes will vary with 15 studios, 165 one-bedroom units, and 20 two-bedroom units. Of the 20 affordable homes, two will be for low-income households earning roughly 80 percent of the Area Median Income, or AMI, and 18 will be for very-low-income households earning around 50 percent AMI. According to the density bonus application, “all 20 affordable units will house special needs individuals…”
https://sfyimby.com/2022/05/renderin...t-oakland.html

Last edited by homebucket; May 10, 2022 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 3:44 PM
你的媽媽

^ Along the same lines, another great project in East Oakland to help with the housing shortage, just 0.4 miles down Foothill from 7300 MacArthur.

Specs:
- 82 FT | 6 FLOORS
- 533 units
- 10,980 sq ft ground floor retail
- Ground level garage parking for 178 cars and 156 bicycles

Quote:
Affordable Housing Approved For 6733 Foothill Boulevard In Oakland

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON MAY 4, 2022

Development permits have been approved for a six-story residential infill at 6733 Foothill Boulevard in Oakland. The project would replace a vacant lot with two new buildings with over five hundred affordable homes, with fast-tracking thanks to Senate Bill 35 and 330. AMG & Associates is responsible for the development.

6733 Foothill will contain 533 homes in total. Of that, four will be for property managers. The remaining will be divided into 106 units available for moderate-income households earning at or below 120% AMI, or Area Median Income, and 423 units for households earning at or below 80% AMI.

The two structures will each rise 82 feet to yield a combined 407,590 square feet, with 10,980 square feet of retail in Building A along Foothill Boulevard. The retail area will be divided into eight separate spaces, ideal for many small businesses. Residents will have access to 31,330 square feet of open area. This will include a 6,800 square foot paseo to create a mid-block connection between 67th and 68th Avenue.

Approximately 45,000 square feet will be for parking the 178 cars at ground level. Additional parking will be included for 156 bicycles, exceeding city requirements by a couple dozen spaces.

AO Architects is responsible for the design. The exterior will be articulated with various colors and setbacks to visually break up the overall mass. Facade materials will include stucco and stone veneer.
https://sfyimby.com/2022/05/affordab...n-oakland.html

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 3:37 PM

From SFYIMBY: https://sfyimby.com/2022/08/updated-...n-oakland.html

Quote:
Updated Renderings For 1431 Franklin Street In Downtown Oakland
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON AUGUST 4, 2022

New renderings have been published for the skyscraper redevelopment of 1431 Franklin Street in Downtown Oakland. The developer is applying for the entitlement of housing or offices for the site in two separate applications. LA-based Large Architecture is responsible for the design.

Office Project

The 27-story office scenario will rise 410-foot tall, creating 488,500 square feet with 419,480 square feet of rentable office space and 69,010 square feet for the 115-car garage. The garage is well below the allowed parking capacity for 1,759 cars. Additional storage will be on-site for 63 bicycles.

Residential Project

The 413-foot tall residential proposal will yield 491,800 square feet with 411,800 square feet for housing, 14,900 square feet of private open space, 8,100 square feet of public open space, and 80,000 square feet for the 167-car garage. Additional parking will be included for 116 bicycles. Unit sizes will vary with 64 studios, 148 one-bedrooms, 150 two-bedrooms, and 19 three-bedrooms.

Personally I prefer the residential proposal. The massing is more interesting; the office proposal looks too similar to all the other boxy towers that have gone up in Downtown recently. Both proposals look very good in terms of the façade treatment and street level engagement. I would be happy to see either built, but I suspect the residential may be more viable.

For reference, these are the old renderings for the project:

These were more funky and exciting, but I'll take a simple and handsome building too, as long as it means more height donwtown.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 4:17 PM
你的媽媽

^ You pretty much nailed it with the takes.

I much prefer the previous designs too, especially the previous residential proposal with the intricate articulated bay window facade. That was definitely much more bold and unique.

I agree that with the new renderings, the residential version is still the better looking version, with more interesting massing with the taper.

I also agree the residential proposal is likely more viable given the current office market conditions coupled with the current housing shortage. Although it is interesting to see 415 20th St moving forward, which would add another 897,950 sq ft of office space to downtown Oakland. It's possible that developers are banking on a more robust office market if/when 415 20th St gets completed 4-5 years from now. That could potentially be a factor for the office version of 1431 Franklin getting built, but I'm not as optimistic, and still see the residential one as more viable.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 4:29 PM
你的媽媽

This project is also notable in that, if built, it would be Oakland's new tallest building (at either 410 ft for office or 413 ft for residential), surpassing the Ordway Building (404 ft). Although it would slide down to 2nd tallest if 415 20th St gets built (622 ft).

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 3:57 PM
你的媽媽

Ho hum design but functionally nice TOD here. Good job at keeping parking spaces to a reasonable level as well. Unlike some other TOD projects in the pipeline. *cough* Berryessa BART Transit Village Development *cough*

Quote:
Renderings Revealed For 533 Kirkham Street In West Oakland

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON AUGUST 5, 2022

New renderings have been revealed for the eight-story mixed-use complex at 533 Kirkham Street in West Oakland. The application is part of a cluster of proposals by separate developers set to reshape the area around the West Oakland BART Station. Solomon Cordwell Buenz is responsible for the design.

The 85-foot tall structure will yield 254,950 square feet with 237,940 square feet dedicated to housing, 3,030 square feet for retail, and 9,110 square feet for the ground-level 24-car garage. Once complete, the project will have 289 new homes. Unit sizes will vary with 52 studios, 73 junior one-bedrooms, 60 one-bedrooms, and 104 two-bedrooms.

Tidewater Capital, the same firm behind yesterday’s headline development of 1431 Franklin Street, is responsible for 533 Kirkham Street as the project developer. The pre-application for 533 Kirkham was filed in early January of 2022. The zoning application was filed with the city last month.

Along with the construction at 533 Kirkham Street, developers have eyed four other proposals in the area for a total potential of 2,384 units. The most high-profile project is Mandela Station @ West Oakland, replacing the surface parking closest to the BART Station with 762 apartments, offices, and three retail-lined public plazas. The BART-owned land will be developed by the joint venture of CHEC-SUDA-Hensel Phelps.
https://sfyimby.com/2022/08/renderin...t-oakland.html

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Good job at keeping parking spaces to a reasonable level as well. Unlike some other TOD projects in the pipeline. *cough* Berryessa BART Transit Village Development *cough*

Or this monstrosity also proposed for West Oakland BART:

https://sfyimby.com/2022/08/renderin...n-oakland.html

421 units in an incredibly ugly 6-story building, and 720 parking spaces in an 8-story garage... I get that it's partially parking for the BART station but it still feels so very wrong.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 4:24 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Or this monstrosity also proposed for West Oakland BART:

https://sfyimby.com/2022/08/renderin...n-oakland.html

421 units in an incredibly ugly 6-story building, and 720 parking spaces in an 8-story garage... I get that it's partially parking for the BART station but it still feels so very wrong.
Agreed. They should probably go double the height with half the parking. But either way, it'd be an improvement over the current situation. As long as the Mandela Station and 1396 5th St get built it'll help minimize the eyesore of 1357 5th St.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:34 PM

An assortment of Downtown Oakland project updates, photos by me. Apologies for them being low quality and also oversized.

I count 17 floors at 1940 Broadway, with facade installation beginning on the first couple stories.

Per SFYIMBY, demolition is beginning for the 19-story mass timber tower designed by oWoW at 1510 Webster. I'm surprised to see this moving forward considering the firm doesn't have a stellar track record for getting things built, but happy to see it happen.

Finishing touches going on the Marriott Residence Inn at 1431 Jefferson.

Infill project on the triangular parcel between 18th, 19th, and MLK Jr.

Mandela Apartments open in West Oakland. I like the painted accents, really elevates an otherwise unremarkable project.

Vespr at Bay, 27th, and Harrison is almost done, but moving very slowly.

And finally, the crane is going up today across the street from Vespr at 2359 Harrison. This isn't my favorite project; the massing is pretty bulky and it took out a dozen or so low-rent units in some charming old buildings. Doesn't mean I won't be excited to see another big building go up of course.

That's all for today! I hope to continue to provide updates for Oakland and the occasional SF project going forward

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 10:24 PM
你的媽媽

Thanks for the photos! Excellent content. Oakland tends to fly under the radar but is building a lot of really solid stuff right now. Hopefully some of the high impact projects will be underway soon as well. Things like 415 20th St, 1900 Broadway, 1919 Webster, and Mandela Station.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 10:44 PM

It's nice to see 1940 Broadway finally moving.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 10:57 PM

Any plans announced yet for redeveloping of the 7-Eleven across from Vespr and 2359 Harrison? I'm happy to see this intersection "closing in" with those two taller structures making it seem less like a vast wasteland. Now the underwhelming 7-Eleven and parking lot need to be redeveloped to improve the overall urban fabric here (though I suspect any redevelopment would also mean closing down the Equator Coffee which would make me sad since I only live a block away and definitely like their coffee).

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Any plans announced yet for redeveloping of the 7-Eleven across from Vespr and 2359 Harrison? I'm happy to see this intersection "closing in" with those two taller structures making it seem less like a vast wasteland. Now the underwhelming 7-Eleven and parking lot need to be redeveloped to improve the overall urban fabric here (though I suspect any redevelopment would also mean closing down the Equator Coffee which would make me sad since I only live a block away and definitely like their coffee).
I don't see the 7-Eleven going anywhere any time soon. The parcel is awkward and far too tiny to develop on its own; to be developable at a scale that works, it would need to be assembled with the 5-6 parcels next to it, which would be a pretty major process considering most have structures and active uses on them.

All things considered, the 7-Eleven isn't the worst use for the corner by any means, it's pretty active and there are often vendors making use of their parking lot.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 4:13 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Construction Nearly Halfway Up For 1900 Broadway In Downtown Oakland

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON AUGUST 23, 2022

Concrete is nearing the halfway point for 1900 Broadway, a rising residential tower in Downtown Oakland. Once complete, the 39-story tower will add 452 new apartments and ground-level retail on top of the 19th Street BART Station. Behring Companies is the project developer.
https://sfyimby.com/2022/08/construc...n-oakland.html

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 4:15 PM
你的媽媽

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations