HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 1:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

[Moncton] Retail Thread

In the spirit of Mike K, the website manager, it is probably time to start subdividing the Moncton thread into seperate sections. I have decided to start this process with a Moncton region retail thread. In the future, perhaps we should put all postings regarding Moncton retail news in this thread.

I will start out by reposting this item I just added to the Moncton general projects thread:

Quote:
I was just browsing the job listings on Kijiji for Moncton and came up with an interesting posting for a manager for a new PetSmart location in the city.

Since PetSmart is supposed to go into the Mapleton Power Centre and is supposed to share a building with Best Buy and Bed Bath & Beyond, I wonder if we can take this as indirect evidence that this project is now a go and that all three stores will soon be under construction with a presumed opening date in time for Christmas......

Inquiring minds want to know!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

There was also a job posting on Kijiji for a store manager for a new Pseudio store at Champlain Place.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Further to the above, this is a previous posting by mmmatt which includes an image of the site plan for the Mapleton Power Centre which shows where the building housing PetSmart will be built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Sorry Im flooding the page today...but I've been off for a bit so give me a break!

I also found an updated site plan for the Mapleton Power Center recently!

Its from a leasing broker company. On the plan they list 5 retailers.

Now I'll post this but please remember that it is possible they are not confirmed.

This Image is dated Oct. 28 2010

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

The last one is just listed as "restaurant" on the plan...not sure if thats just an idea or they have someone lined up.

Here is the link to the full PDF file for the plan (better quality): http://www.paracom.on.ca/brochures/s...lan___2011.pdf

There is an interesting looking snake-like feature on the bottom left...possibly a walkway down the hill?

Anyways, all in all this is a fantastic lineup of stores that we don't have yet. Freddy has a Pet Smart and is getting a Best Buy too, but as far as I know (correct me if wrong) these are the only planned Bed Bath and Beyond and Golf Town in NB.

Also with the movement of Cleve's from Trinity that will open up the slot for Bouclair, keeping that whole area full to capacity. So we could possibly see 6 new national retailers set up in the next year or so in this area!

To me it looks like the total sq footage says 268,000 (its a bit blurry) for all buildings on the plan. Trinity is 647,588. plus wal-mart, future shop, home depot, northwest center etc Id say we are looking at least 1,500,000 sq ft of retail in that area at this point.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

One last thing, I noticed the other day that they were starting to lay down the foundation for the large building at the extreme eastern part of this development. No idea who the retailer will be, but a previous post quoting the T&T stated that it would be an "outlet" of some form:

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:00 PM

I noticed yesterday, as MonctonRad stated, there is significant work being done on the area to the far right of the plan, machinery has been working in that area and now it's clears and a new base stone level has been laid down.

JL

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:03 PM

So are those the only 2 buildings currently under construction for this development? Is Cleves open yet?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 9:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post

So are those the only 2 buildings currently under construction for this development? Is Cleves open yet?
Nope, Cleves is not open yet but the building that they will share with Golf Town is largely complete.

With regards to the remainder of your question, one of the strips backing on the Wheeler Blvd offramp has been completed (but empty) for some time. The large building at the east end of the development is now at the foundation stage. With the job listing for PetSmart, it would seem that the other building that will house them, Best Buy and Bed Bath & Beyond must be nearing construction.

In other words, the majority of this development now appears to be on track.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 1:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Nope, Cleves is not open yet but the building that they will share with Golf Town is largely complete.

With regards to the remainder of your question, one of the strips backing on the Wheeler Blvd offramp has been completed (but empty) for some time. The large building at the east end of the development is now at the foundation stage. With the job listing for PetSmart, it would seem that the other building that will house them, Best Buy and Bed Bath & Beyond must be nearing construction.

In other words, the majority of this development now appears to be on track.
Further to the above, these pictures taken by porchmouse a few weeks ago might help:

This is the Cleves/Golf Town building backing on Mapleton. It is nearing completion.

This is the original strip backing on the Wheeler offramp that was built before the original iteration of this development tanked during the recession. Presumably there are now some tenants lined up.

This is the land at the extreme east end of the development that required rezoning late last year. Grading is now complete and a foundation is now in place.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Further to the above, this is a previous posting by mmmatt which includes an image of the site plan for the Mapleton Power Centre which shows where the building housing PetSmart will be built.
BB & B has a "Coming Soon" sign up at the Cobett Centre in Freddy for about 6 weeks now and are now hiring (see here https://prod.fadvhms.com/AllBedBathB...C66A7928EEDD23). Part of the centre expansion that will take place this spring to include BB & B, The Gap Outlet, Oshkosh/Carters and Bouclair. St Huberts is also building at the Corbett Centre. Expansion expected to open late summer/fall.

Last edited by Freddypop; Mar 14, 2012 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 7:22 AM

just want to correct your statement about freddy getting best buy.yes on former trinity-group website they had best buy listed on there but now its rio-can site & when rio-can took over bed bath & beyond was listed on the site where best buy was suppose to go on trinity's site.so when i went up to corbett centre area again sure enough there was a bed bath & beyond billboard on regent st.near st hubert restaurant & i noticed trinity group was removed on road sign next to rio-can name.u can see the trinity name a little now after its now gone.
but bed bath & beyond is there now & i just follow the rio-can site now cause trinity doesnt even have the store listing or maps like it use to.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsider_1036 View Post
just want to correct your statement about freddy getting best buy.yes on former trinity-group website they had best buy listed on there but now its rio-can site & when rio-can took over bed bath & beyond was listed on the site where best buy was suppose to go on trinity's site.so when i went up to corbett centre area again sure enough there was a bed bath & beyond billboard on regent st.near st hubert restaurant & i noticed trinity group was removed on road sign next to rio-can name.u can see the trinity name a little now after its now gone.
but bed bath & beyond is there now & i just follow the rio-can site now cause trinity doesnt even have the store listing or maps like it use to.
What?

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:43 PM

Seen some tweet this afternoon that a Starbucks will be build on Mountain Road. Think it's around the Lounsbury Shoppers Park lot.

http://twitter.com/Lukepaa/status/197755400928493568

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Seen some tweet this afternoon that a Starbucks will be build on Mountain Road. Think it's around the Lounsbury Shoppers Park lot.

http://twitter.com/Lukepaa/status/197755400928493568
I most def tweeted that this afternoon, I've heard from a very reliable source that we'll be able to get the "fruit of the bean" in this end of town soon! I personally think that the area could sustain more than just one new Starbucks location and think that they'd be missing the point if they didn't put one in the downtown core. IMO

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 1:31 AM

Didn't realize that was you. I completely agree that Moncton can handle more than one free standing Starbucks

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 1:50 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukepaa View Post
I most def tweeted that this afternoon, I've heard from a very reliable source that we'll be able to get the "fruit of the bean" in this end of town soon! I personally think that the area could sustain more than just one new Starbucks location and think that they'd be missing the point if they didn't put one in the downtown core. IMO
There are several options:

- Target plans to partner with Starbucks in Canada, so there will be at least one Starbucks in the northwest end because of this.
- if you look carefully at the site plan for the Mapleton Power Centre, there is one building with a drive-thru which will be backing on Mapleton Road. I could certainly see a Starbuck's moving in there.
- I strongly suspect that there will be Starbucks built downtown sometime in the next couple of years.

The Sleuth in the T&T stated several months ago that there would soon be three Starbucks in Moncton to complement the two Starbucks in Dieppe. I believe the newspaper and the three locations I listed above would be my choices.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 2:44 PM

we still need pics of the power center from the vantage point from the road above the developement !!!

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
- if you look carefully at the site plan for the Mapleton Power Centre, there is one building with a drive-thru which will be backing on Mapleton Road. I could
Unless they are going to have 2 in that close of proximity (which has been done, but don't think is likely for Moncton), the location seems to be settled as in the parking lot of the Lousbury Centre. That parking lot is never used to full capacity, however if this is true and my source tells me it is, parking will be bottle necked for sure now.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukepaa View Post
Unless they are going to have 2 in that close of proximity (which has been done, but don't think is likely for Moncton), the location seems to be settled as in the parking lot of the Lousbury Centre. That parking lot is never used to full capacity, however if this is true and my source tells me it is, parking will be bottle necked for sure now.
I don't doubt that your sources information is somewhat accurate, it's just that in the absence of a formal announcement, that this still constitutes rumour and hearsay.

It reminds me of last year. We had heard rumours of a new Swiss Chalet and Second Cup in Moncton North, but during the initial rumour stage there were several conflicting locations mentioned. It was not until ground was nearly ready to be broken that we were sure that they were going to be built up by Gorge Road.

The Starbucks could be built at Lounsbury's, but the likely spot where it would go (the southeast corner of the parking lot in front of Shoppers Drug Mart) is moderately steep. If a standalone store were to be built in the northwest end (aside from the new Target store or the Mapleton Power Centre), I would wonder about it going at Bob Steeves new plaza to be built between the Swiss Chalet and Barnaby's.

This plaza will consist of a strip with 10 stores and a seperate pad location that would be ideal for a Starbucks.

Only time will tell. I wonder if there might not be 2-3 Starbucks outlets in the northwest end (Target, Mapleton & Mountain Rd). As you have mentioned, it is not uncommon for Starbucks to cluster some of their locations close together. Also, the Target location would not be "standalone". It would be affiliated, just like the Starbucks at Chapters in Dieppe.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:48 PM

I'm guessing Moxie's would love to be open in time to capture some of the tourist season if possible...not sure if it's possible...but I bet it's a goal, I could see if they pushed they could be open by August.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 7:43 PM

Moxie's Moncton

I found job ads posted for Moxie's and the closing dates are August 31 and October 31, 2012

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 3:13 AM

Is Best Buy still expanding? The US end of the chain has been having really tough times lately, and I'm not sure how the BB/FS end of the chain up here is doing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces