HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 2:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

Kinda disappointing to see Connie Smith go. I bump into her a few times, she must live in the area. She's a really nice lady and super tiny haha, she's just a stick.

Dan McLean and Gord from CityTV is the longest serving news anchor in Canada.

Really these two anchors are Hamilton’s ambassadors to television.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 2:42 PM

Got approached at the corner of John & Main by CH this morning to comment on the proposed increase in transit fares.

Unfortunately, I had to pass on the opportunity. It was just the wrong day......

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 3:59 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
A lot of people don't read news on the internet, and they don't read papers. They still watch TV, especially older people. As bad as the local news is, it would be a great loss to Hamilton if there was no Hamilton presence on the air. For example, my parents-in-law watch the Hamilton news just because my wife, daughter and I live here.
and they probably scratch their heads wondering WHY you live here after watching that crap. LOL.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 5:35 PM

CHCH owner Canwest Global loses $1billion

TheSpec.com

The Canadian Press

WINNIPEG - CHCH TV owner Canwest Global Communications Corp. (TSX:CGS) has taken a $1.01 billion writedown on its Canadian television operations, dropping the media company to a fourth-quarter loss of $1.02 billion.
Canwest says the big charge against its earnings reflects a deterioration in its profit expectations for the TV business due to softness in advertising revenues.
The Winnipeg-based company, which publishes the National Post and owns the Global TV network, also says it expects some financial headwinds from regulatory challenges facing the Canadian conventional television industry.
Canwest cut 560 jobs, about five per cent of its workforce, earlier this week, saying it faces a rougher economy and more competition.
President and CEO Leonard Asper says many other major North American media companies are facing the same economic pressures as Canwest and are also taking similar big charges.
He says the company, which employs about 10,500 people in Canada, plans to do whatever is necessary to improve its financial performance.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
and they probably scratch their heads wondering WHY you live here after watching that crap. LOL.
you could say that about pretty much all north american TV... ;p

FWIW, I've found CHCH pretty useful as a newcomer to town. If there are other local broadcast media options people on this board can recommend, though, I'm all ears/eyes.

If only there was more variety on the airwaves, though... CFMU just about keeps me sane (depending what's on!)

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
[B][COLOR="Red"]Canwest cut 560 jobs, about five per cent of its workforce, earlier this week, saying it faces a rougher economy and more competition.
Funny, they didn't say it's also the result management mistakes.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 9:43 PM
On Guard For Thee

You know, even though some here have a natural bias against the station--the truth is they do a good job covering the local news. It is a one-outlet town--and thus they cover it the way one-station markets are covered. The on-air staff is good, many have been in the market for years--and they do their best. Seeing layoffs, etc, is not a positive--and what appears to be the departure of Connie Smith is really unfortunate.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 10:35 PM

On a broader scale, TV is dying.. get used to it.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 2:33 AM
On Guard For Thee

TV is dying.. get used to it.

Dewey defeats Truman.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 2:48 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
On a broader scale, TV is dying.. get used to it.
what a glorious day that will be.
hopefully when people turn the TV off for the final time, they'll also turn their brains back on.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 2:53 PM

From my perspective, TV is no more than a light for the stupidity moth. There was plenty of stupidity out there before TV came around, and not watching TV will not prevent the onset of stupidity. 20 years from now we'll be blaming the internet for stupidity. People believe anything as long as it is posted on the net, just like they believe anything that is broadcast on TV. The fact is a big chunk of humanity is just plain stupid. You can't blame the media source for that.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 4:18 PM
Closed account

well, we may not be dumber but we are a lot lazier than we used to be thanks in part to tv. the net and video games haven't helped much either. time to pull the plug on all of it, though i have grown fond of this internet thingy.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
From my perspective, TV is no more than a light for the stupidity moth. There was plenty of stupidity out there before TV came around, and not watching TV will not prevent the onset of stupidity. 20 years from now we'll be blaming the internet for stupidity. People believe anything as long as it is posted on the net, just like they believe anything that is broadcast on TV. The fact is a big chunk of humanity is just plain stupid. You can't blame the media source for that.
Amen.

I think many in this forum will appreciate Clay Shirky's thoughts, specifically about TV and the internet. http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/shir...y08_index.html

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 6:59 PM

Quote:
what a glorious day that will be.
hopefully when people turn the TV off for the final time, they'll also turn their brains back on.
I think more people are doing it, and certainly more people are watching much less.

I am counted among those without a TV signal.

I still have my quality, commercial-free A/V entertainment that really interests me enough to go to the trouble to find... what i want is covered by the monthly bandwidth download allotment from my cable provider.

I now know why my father always called it the boob-tube. Free the mind, smash the TV.

Traditional forms of media (TV, print newspaper, the recording industry) all are going to need to adapt to survive, or die, to the reality that there just isn't enough public interest in them anymore in the competition for time, and the competition/replacement by the internet as it is today and tomorrow. Radio will survive in it's current form, for now.. I'm not saying nothing new here, obviously.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 7:52 PM

Quote:
let's hope they keep cutting until the entire station is closed down.
Wow.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 8:40 PM
On Guard For Thee

I think balance is important. I don't watch a significant amount of TV--I use it mostly for sports, news, weather and some other programming. Most of what I would call "entertainment" programming I don't find particularly entertaining. Nonetheless I've grown tired of people who sit around talking about how enlightened and evolved they are because they don't watch TV. Good for you...seriously, you're free to make the decision. Whether or not that somehow makes you magically smarter I will leave as an open point for debate--rest assured it is the rare person who lives without TV that doesn't manage to seize every opportunity they can to inject it into conversation.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
Nonetheless I've grown tired of people who sit around talking about how enlightened and evolved they are because they don't watch TV. Good for you...seriously, you're free to make the decision. Whether or not that somehow makes you magically smarter I will leave as an open point for debate--
I do not believe that not watching television makes you magically smarter.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 11:18 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
I do not believe that not watching television makes you magically smarter.
that's debatable.
I concur that one should replace their mind-numbing TV time with something more productive, and then that would help them become 'smarter' but I do think that some people are actually becoming dumber by watching their TV's. Hence, turning it off would actually make them smarter.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
that's debatable.
I concur that one should replace their mind-numbing TV time with something more productive, and then that would help them become 'smarter' but I do think that some people are actually becoming dumber by watching their TV's. Hence, turning it off would actually make them smarter.
I don't really know if we can objectively measure what makes one "smarter" versus making one "dumber", but I think a strong argument can be made that much of what can be seen on television is educational. I also believe that watching television can be a much more productive use of time than posting on this message board.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 12:48 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
I also believe that watching television can be a much more productive use of time than posting on this message board.
I agree with you here. Give it a try. LOL.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy