HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 1:26 AM

Sorry but this building is a skid mark on Broadway. It's even worse than the other Credit Union condo nearby.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
Sorry but this building is a skid mark on Broadway. It's even worse than the other Credit Union condo nearby.
Welcome back King Ralph we missed your valuable input!

That’s a good reminder of how beautiful Meridian’s Luxe /credit union build is on Broadway. Hopefully we see more Meridian builds continue transforming our downtown. https://thestarphoenix.com/life/homes/point-of-view

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 2:52 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
That’s a good reminder of how beautiful Meridian’s Luxe /credit union build is on Broadway. Hopefully we see more Meridian builds continue transforming our downtown.
Yep, I've always thought that building was awesome. Mixed use, attractive building and high quality materials. If Broadway/Downtown/8th Street had 100 more buildings like this instead of ugly boxes that would be awesome!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
Yep, I've always thought that building was awesome. Mixed use, attractive building and high quality materials. If Broadway/Downtown/8th Street had 100 more buildings like this instead of ugly boxes that would be awesome!
I would humbly disagree with that statement as it pertains to the Lux. I will give Meridian credit for the large windows and the overall shape of the building although some of which was shaped to comply Broadway 360 guidelines anyway. However, the veneer is still mainly comprised of EIFS in various shades of grey, the black architectural steel has rust spots and the black drystack slate stone at street level always looks dirty because it doesn't hide dust and is difficult to clean.

In terms of its commercial component, its great to have the Credit Union at street level but what that has caused is a "dead" street front along Broadway. In order to keep the pedestrian friendly nature of the street, ideally storefronts should be 25ish ft wide and feature significant amounts of glazing so that pedestrians can what is inside.

Additionally, this is the only local building I know of that used structural steel stud construction with composite floors(steel decking + cast concrete). I would argue this is superior to a wood structure but maybe not better than the structural steel used at the Baydo project (although I don't agree with Baydo's decision not to go with a concrete core that contains the elevator and stairwells from a fire safety standpoint).

I will give them credit for Escala though, its a great infill project in terms of shape, size, and quality of materials. I am also impressed with their curved floor plates and curved balcony glass as well as the use of pre-stressed concrete slabs.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 5:19 PM

I think Meridian should be commended for their landscaping component to Escala as well. It is very ped traffic friendly and attractive.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:31 PM

2nd floor glazing is being installed this week. It looks much smaller than what was depicted in the renderings.....

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 5:08 AM

Who cares what the penthouse unit looks like on the inside. I have to stare at the ugly stucco exterior and commercial space that adds nothing whatsoever to the Broadway area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Welcome back King Ralph we missed your valuable input!

That’s a good reminder of how beautiful Meridian’s Luxe /credit union build is on Broadway. Hopefully we see more Meridian builds continue transforming our downtown. https://thestarphoenix.com/life/homes/point-of-view

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:36 PM

Close your eyes then mate.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 11:30 PM

Pictures from December 1st:

The glazing does look a little small compared to the renderings...

The blank wall above Broadway Pharmacy is just awful...I'd love to see the City or Baydo commission an artist to turn it into a mural of some sort (I doubt they will, however). Anything to make it less of an eye sore.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 10:21 AM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:35 PM

I'll be really surprised in this building doesn't get finished in EIFS. Other than vinyl siding, it's about the least expensive exterior finish that you can get these days and it's pretty good system for complying with the National Energy Code. The upside to EIFS is that you can add some interest by incorporating reveals and multiple colours to break up big flat walls.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:15 PM

I would add that EIFS is NOW a good option. My mom's condo in the city built in around 2000 was done using EIFS and it all had to be stripped off and re-done due to moisture and rot issues at a cost of $1,000,000 to the condo owners. My in-laws in Kelowna are facing the same issue with their condo building.

I assume that EIFS technology has now been resolved!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 6:43 PM

I'd say that the EIFS results have certainly improved in the last 20 years. I don't think there's been a huge change in the technology or the materials, though. It's mainly the installation of it that has gotten much better. What was once a new technology and unfamiliar to most stucco contractors is now commonplace and "conventional" cement stucco is rarely seen anymore. Most EIFS installers are now fully trained in the systems so the product should be much better and longer lasting when installed in strict accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. Building inspectors and architects are also now more familiar with the technology and pay a lot of attention to EIFS details, especially around openings.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 7:21 PM

I was not sure what EIFS was so I googled it and came across this picture. Sweet!

EIFS Example

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I'd say that the EIFS results have certainly improved in the last 20 years. I don't think there's been a huge change in the technology or the materials, though. It's mainly the installation of it that has gotten much better. What was once a new technology and unfamiliar to most stucco contractors is now commonplace and "conventional" cement stucco is rarely seen anymore. Most EIFS installers are now fully trained in the systems so the product should be much better and longer lasting when installed in strict accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. Building inspectors and architects are also now more familiar with the technology and pay a lot of attention to EIFS details, especially around openings.
Additionally, modern EIFS features a drainage plane behind the insulation layer which is intended to allow water to exit out of the wall cross-section.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 7:57 PM

Taken December 5, 2020 from Main Street

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 8:44 AM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 3:58 PM

Baydo has updated their information package about this building, which I've saved as a PDF here for viewing: https://pdfhost.io/v/uD7sIZiNw_880_B...Packagepdf.pdf

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 9:17 PM

Wow the interior is actually nicer than my building downtown. Good for them.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 10:54 PM

Floors plans look OK and rent doesn't seem out of line for a brand new unit. Finishes appear to be not overly expensive, but modern and decent looking. All in all, probably better than what I expected, though that's all just based on renderings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan