HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 2:35 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
I love this idea, my Question is about the CANTEL?? building. I used to call it the CN telecommunications building as a kid. WHO owns it? and Is it being used? I hate to say it is an eyesore, but... Until that is gone, the road and the parcel of land may be tougher to develop. I just dislike the optics of this building and want it gone.
This building no longer belongs in this neighbourhood. It is indeed an eyesore and should be demolished, especially if it standing in the way of developing the property behind the events centre.......

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
This building no longer belongs in this neighbourhood. It is indeed an eyesore and should be demolished, especially if it standing in the way of developing the property behind the events centre.......
I agree with you the Telcom Building located at 1210 Main Street that has no direct access to it is ugly.

I was looking to try to find who owns it seems to be almost imposible. But it also does not seem to be in used anymore.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 1:24 PM

Ironically that build was there before Highfield Square! I also was wondering if Crombie would building a parking garage directly behind 1234 Main. I’m sure they could make a tone of money during events!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I was looking to try to find who owns it seems to be almost imposible.
It looks like someone's paying close to $26,000 a year in property tax for it: https://paol.snb.ca/paol.html?lang=en&pan=06385686.

Service New Brunswick can tell you who owns it for a bit less that $20 if I'm reading their fee schedule correctly. The PID is 70592134.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Dear City Council:

I have a proposal for you to consider as to how to complete the development of the lands surrounding the new downtown events centre:

- It has become a well known wish of council to expand the urban street grid south of Main Street. This is a worthwhile objective that I fully support. I propose that this initiative be carried on to include that portion of Main Street to the west of the CN overpass.

- Highfield Street is already to be extended around the events centre to eventually meet up with Ivan Rand Drive at Vaughan Harvey Boulevard. I propose that Weldon Street also be extended south of Main Street to intersect with Highfield Street Extension just to the east of the VIA Rail station.

- By doing so, you contain the events centre on its own city block, and provide access to currently undeveloped lands south of Main Street which could complement the events centre.

- Specifically, if Crombie REIT could be involved in this project, I envisage that as part of their future redevelopment of 1222 Main, that they construct a commercial podium fronting on Weldon and connecting both 1222 Main and 1234 Main. This commercial podium could contain office space and some retail to service the office complex.

- Further, as part of this redevelopment, perhaps Crobie REIT could consider a multilevel parking facility further to the south along Weldon to service their complex during the daytime and the events centre in the evening. A parking facility here would be very convenient to patrons of the events centre and would improve overall density in this portion of the core.

- The development of Parcel "A" should be expedited, and should include a 4-6 storey condominium or apartment project (with underground parking), and ground level retail/commercial, perhaps including a restaurant to improve the vibrancy of the neighbourhood. A building here (in addition to the new Hyatt Place Hotel and included chain restaurant) would truly reshape the west end of the downtown core.

- A re-established street grid, increased density, improved vibrancy and a new enclosed parking facility to serve the west end, especially during events at the downtown centre. The extension of Weldon Street would accomplish all these things. I believe this should be seriously considered........
Wowsers!!! What a great idea!!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 3:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There could be the potential for even more densification eventually on the Highfield Street extension (we actually don't know what the name of this street will be - I don't think it will be Ivan Rand, but it might not be Highfield Street either, it might be something else).

In particular, in my sketch, I left the parking lot in behind 1234 Main pretty much alone. This was to preserve parking for the complex while a new parking garage was built. Once the garage is constructed however, this land could become available for future development of some kind. This could even be incorporated into the larger footprint of the 1222/1234 Main complex, and could be a mixed development of some form, perhaps with some additional underground parking. The possibilities could be quite exciting, perhaps including another hotel tower. Properly planned, this whole block of land incorporating the 1222/1234 complex could end up being the Moncton equivalent of Scotia Square. Except for the Telegraph Building, I think Crombie already owns all this land.

The final bit of land to be developed is that vacant snow dump between the VIA station and Shoppers Drug Mart. This is begging for a small retail development of some kind.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:

There could be the potential for even more densification eventually on the Highfield Street extension (we actually don't know what the name of this street will be - I don't think it will be Ivan Rand, but it might not be Highfield Street either, it might be something else).

In particular, in my sketch, I left the parking lot in behind 1234 Main pretty much alone. This was to preserve parking for the complex while a new parking garage was built. Once the garage is constructed however, this land could become available for future development of some kind. This could even be incorporated into the larger footprint of the 1222/1234 Main complex, and could be a mixed development of some form, perhaps with some additional underground parking. The possibilities could be quite exciting, perhaps including another hotel tower. Properly planned, this whole block of land incorporating the 1222/1234 complex could end up being the Moncton equivalent of Scotia Square. Except for the Telegraph Building, I think Crombie already owns all this land.

The final bit of land to be developed is that vacant snow dump between the VIA station and Shoppers Drug Mart. This is begging for a small retail development of some kind.
I agree with everything here, the only thing I would recommend, is that the owners of the large parking lot across the tracks sell it and use the money they make to buy the old co-op lot. Then build a parking garage there for their current lot users. They would make the money back to pay off the garage fairly quickly and then the city would have access to a very large lot, basically beside the new centre. All that would need to be done by the city is a pedway over the tracks.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I agree with everything here, the only thing I would recommend, is that the owners of the large parking lot across the tracks sell it and use the money they make to buy the old co-op lot. Then build a parking garage there for their current lot users. They would make the money back to pay off the garage fairly quickly and then the city would have access to a very large lot, basically beside the new centre. All that would need to be done by the city is a pedway over the tracks.
At one time all the land belonged to the railway, in my childhood (I am 53) there was a freight shed closer to heritage Court, and 8 9 10 maybe more train tracks on the property you described. Not sure if the railway still owns this land, however, it would be interesting to find out who does.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:
At one time all the land belonged to the railway, in my childhood (I am 53) there was a freight shed closer to heritage Court, and 8 9 10 maybe more train tracks on the property you described. Not sure if the railway still owns this land, however, it would be interesting to find out who does.
It’s owned by I think heritage property inc.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 9:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
It’s owned by I think heritage property inc.
Didn't Heritage Properties also buy the old Co-op lot too??

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Didn't Heritage Properties also buy the old Co-op lot too??
I’m not sure, I will have to look into that. I just see the Co-op lot as an ideal spot for their current customers to move, or at least some of them, which would open up a lot of spaces very close to the arena.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 10:51 AM
Random Contributor

Quote:
All that would need to be done by the city is a pedway over the tracks.
A second crossing of the tracks is going to be needed quickly if the city is expecting a parade of 5000 to 9000 spectators to funnel through the subway to get back to parking on the other side of the tracks. Can they make that section of Main street under the tracks pedestrian only for when a show ends?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 1:57 PM

Allstream uses it still.. i believe.. there are allstream trucks there.

Considering their fibre-op line runs along main st in that location its probably a fiber hub of some sort.

If it is a switch center or hub it may be hard to move.. .. for instance when they rebuilt queen st it took them about 3 extra years and lots of extra money in infrastructure just to figure out how to get around the aliant fiber opt trunk that is underneath lewis st, rather then move the line itself.

http://oldsite.allstream.com/contact-us/locations/

Quote:
I agree with you the Telcom Building located at 1210 Main Street that has no direct access to it is ugly.

I was looking to try to find who owns it seems to be almost imposible. But it also does not seem to be in used anymore.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
Allstream uses it still.. i believe.. there are allstream trucks there.

Considering their fibre-op line runs along main st in that location its probably a fiber hub of some sort.

If it is a switch center or hub it may be hard to move.. .. for instance when they rebuilt queen st it took them about 3 extra years and lots of extra money in infrastructure just to figure out how to get around the aliant fiber opt trunk that is underneath lewis st, rather then move the line itself.

http://oldsite.allstream.com/contact-us/locations/
thanks, I thought someone was still in it as there was a light on in the evenings and often a truck outside the few times I have passed by.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 2:23 PM

Maybe they could build around it and incorporate the building (or at least the equipment) into a new building on the site? That might be the best solution to it ultimately, depending on how much equipment there is and how hard it is to move.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 8:47 PM

Quote:

Crombie REIT also owns this building.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 12:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

From Mayor Dawn Arnold's summary of council business from tonight's meeting:

Quote:
From past private sessions we agreed to extend the Victoria Street Parking lot lease and agreed to a facility fee arrangement with SMG for Wildcats season ticket holders.
I'm not sure which lot she is referring to, but it sounds like they are moving to provide some reserved parking for wildcats season ticket holders......

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 1:04 AM

Smg??

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Smg??
SMG is the management company for the events centre, and on second thought, I think that Mayor Arnold was referring to two separate items in this single sentence, and that a special "facility fee" is being agreed to for Wildcat season ticket holders, and that this has nothing to do with parking......

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 12:25 PM

CBC has more details

Quote:
Moncton city council approved waiving a 50-cent per game fee for Moncton Wildcats season-ticket holders when the new downtown arena opens in September to help fans adjust to a lack of designated parking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces