HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 6:23 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilo Rune 96 View Post
Hi guys,

I wrote a blurb on the project here:
http://www.pearlhelp.com/1970s-style...earl-district/

Nothing more than what's already been discussed here (maybe some better renderings?). And I quoted 65max.
Thanks SR96. And I quoted you quoting me. ^^^^

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 5:32 PM

Wow. WE ARE STUCK TALKING ABOUT THe DRIVEWAY. This building is absurd looking. What a waste of resources and a waste of a noteworthy architecture firm. The curved corners and rotated body are nothing interesting. They seem frivolous and if there is reason for the moves in the architecture then there clearly is not enough complexity to express them. The cCRAP is left for future generations to clean up and tear down. I thought the ethics of Portland had evolved since the post war era.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 8:45 PM

The Unico Properties proposal is pictured in an article called Poor Placemaking in Five Easy Steps. The step it is pictured with is "Plan like it's 1960" I saw the image and thought "yuck" I saw it was planned for Portland and thought they must be joking so I came here to sadly see that they are not. I'm not sure the tower is all that bad (certainly could be better) but it doesn't look at all friendly or inviting at the street level.
http://sustainablecitiescollective.c...715d6b0a32fe75

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 2:17 AM

Finally putting 2 and 2 together in my brain...Is this thread, this project?

Rendering from the Pearl District News Thread
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...88332&page=158

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 11:55 PM

The Unico 26-story proposal was roundly criticized here a month or two ago. Now a more detailed proposal is available (warning: 67mb pdf). It's at the design advice request stage, so there's room for change.

The biggest criticism here was of what appeared to be a driveway through the property. It's not completely clear from the drawings, but it looks like that is now (or maybe always was) a courtyard intended for pedestrians. It seems a bit weird - and it's far from what I'd like to see - but at least it's a tiny bit better than it appeared.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
The Unico 26-story proposal was roundly criticized here a month or two ago. Now a more detailed proposal is available (warning: 67mb pdf). It's at the design advice request stage, so there's room for change.

The biggest criticism here was of what appeared to be a driveway through the property. It's not completely clear from the drawings, but it looks like that is now (or maybe always was) a courtyard intended for pedestrians. It seems a bit weird - and it's far from what I'd like to see - but at least it's a tiny bit better than it appeared.

It's amazing what an actual rendering can do. I don't have any major gripes with this design. I personally like the "unified" and "city and river" color schemes best. The base is still a little funky but the tower looks pretty solid.

I love how the building is angled away from the street grid.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 2:16 AM

I like the angled tower, too. It's a nice break from the norm and will add some movement to the surroundings IMO, both up close and from a distance. Looks like they're giving plenty of thought to street level.

Love the fact that they're thinking about color. I think I'm leaning towards the "integrated" and "unified" renderings myself. The unified one, in particular, strikes me as being very northwest-y, kind of forest-y and confident/restrained.

Go ZGF!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 3:54 AM
Karma Police

Great proposal, although I'm not entirely sold on the arbitrarily angled tower. I know they said it's supposed to parallel and create a dialogue with the river, but the river is 1/4 mile away and can't be seen from the street level. To pedestrians, it's just gonna seem arbitrary. Other than that, everything else seems right on the money, including getting rid of those curved corners. I can't wait to see this one going up.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Great proposal, although I'm not entirely sold on the arbitrarily angled tower. I know they said it's supposed to parallel and create a dialogue with the river, but the river is 1/4 mile away and can't be seen from the street level. To pedestrians, it's just gonna seem arbitrary. Other than that, everything else seems right on the money, including getting rid of those curved corners. I can't wait to see this one going up.
I don't think it's arbitrarily angled. By turning the the building, the developer is effectively doubling the number windows with Mt. Hood & city views - that probably has something to do with it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 6:45 PM
Karma Police

I agree that the angling of the tower maximizes view opportunities for the residents. It's the actual angle that is arbitary. A simple 45 would have accomplished the same thing and wouldn't have seemed so random. But given the overall strength of the proposal, I'm really just nitpicking.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 7:17 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Great proposal, although I'm not entirely sold on the arbitrarily angled tower. I know they said it's supposed to parallel and create a dialogue with the river, but the river is 1/4 mile away and can't be seen from the street level.
Statements like that are just plain dumb and show a lack of common sense in terms of people. People don't live in helicopters, floating through the air, looking down at the landscape and the angles of buildings. That's. Just. Dumb. This building will be seen 99.99999% of the time by people on the ground or in other buildings. No one will notice whether or not it lines up with the river. HOWEVER - I really like the angle. This is the second version of the tower we've seen so far if memory serves correct, and both have been angled (if memory serves correctly, the first had rounded corners sort-of similar to Portland Plaza), so it's pretty obvious they intend to build an angled tower. I like it.

I really like the Unified version of the tower.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 8:42 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Statements like that are just plain dumb and show a lack of common sense in terms of people. People don't live in helicopters, floating through the air, looking down at the landscape and the angles of buildings. That's. Just. Dumb. This building will be seen 99.99999% of the time by people on the ground or in other buildings. No one will notice whether or not it lines up with the river. HOWEVER - I really like the angle. This is the second version of the tower we've seen so far if memory serves correct, and both have been angled (if memory serves correctly, the first had rounded corners sort-of similar to Portland Plaza), so it's pretty obvious they intend to build an angled tower. I like it.

I really like the Unified version of the tower.
It is just Architect Speak, basically it is a way for an architect to sound like they didn't just do something random and that there was a reason for what they did regardless if it is true or not.

Obviously no one is going to notice the position of the building compared to the river, but that is the BS reasoning the architect has given.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 8:45 PM

So happy to see these updated renderings! The original renderings left a lot to be desired (rounded corners, parking pull through, etc...). The newer versions, especially the Unified could make this a great addition to the Pearl. I even like the angle. Sure, I think its a stretch to form a connection to the river with the angle, but it's different and interesting, and will provide some great views.

I'm not sure if I like taking away the street edge as much as they did with the plaza, but I'm sure it will be a nice space.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 9:08 PM

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to talk up the river angle. It's more of a macro perspective and most people on the ground will never be aware of it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

All the other buildings are stuck on their grid marching north -- this one could break the mold and remind us of other orientations.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 10:05 PM
momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
I don't think it's that much of a stretch to talk up the river angle. It's more of a macro perspective and most people on the ground will never be aware of it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

All the other buildings are stuck on their grid marching north -- this one could break the mold and remind us of other orientations.
Not to mention the occupants themselves, that if the orientation is true, will benefit from a square sight line toward the river. Buildings should take advantage of their position once they soar above the pedestrian realm rather than stay static in the city grid INMHO

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 8:46 PM

The angle of the tower may improve a few tenant views although most river views will be blocked. Block 17 starts construction in December and that tower is a full block wide blocking all east views below the 17 th floor.

Hoyt's block 20 will probably be taller and will block river views to the north east.

The remaining river views are to the north and that view has the river very far away and obscured by many blocks of lower buildings, the bridge and the ugly buildings north of the bridge.

The angle of the tower may bring some variety to the street scape.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 9:26 PM

Would love to see this, block 17 and North Point tower cranes all rising together within a block of each other!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 10:20 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

To me, that southern facing plaza is just a barren paved surface. I hope they plan on programming it, otherwise its going to be a hole in the urban fabric. Maybe the homeless will opt to sleep there?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2m View Post
The angle of the tower may improve a few tenant views although most river views will be blocked. Block 17 starts construction in December and that tower is a full block wide blocking all east views below the 17 th floor.
Didn't realize that Block 17 was starting next month! Great news!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 5:57 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
To me, that southern facing plaza is just a barren paved surface. I hope they plan on programming it, otherwise its going to be a hole in the urban fabric. Maybe the homeless will opt to sleep there?
I assumed it's a plaza leading toward the building's main entry, sort-of similar to the one Eliot Tower has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
Didn't realize that Block 17 was starting next month! Great news!
I didn't realize that either. That's great! The north end of the Pearl is really coming along now, especially since the Fields park finally has been completed. And the Janey II is adding some much needed inner fill.

It's hard to believe that ten years ago, the Brewery Blocks were being completed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland