HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 3:40 PM

Proper interchange spacing is 2 miles. If they need emergency access for some reason put a through pass in like they did at 101 and Raleigh. Otherwise there are service roads basically the entire length of the north perimeter. People just cry because they're losing direct access to the highway. There's virtually nothing out there along those services roads besides the area being built up in West St Paul. And they have access from Grassmere, which looks acceptable.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Proper interchange spacing is 2 miles. If they need emergency access for some reason put a through pass in like they did at 101 and Raleigh. Otherwise there are service roads basically the entire length of the north perimeter. People just cry because they're losing direct access to the highway. There's virtually nothing out there along those services roads besides the area being built up in West St Paul. And they have access from Grassmere, which looks acceptable.
They were used to living in the middle of nowhere essentially, but with their driveway (service road for basically them) attached to Perimeter so their expectation was City of Winnipeg response times.

Yes 45 minutes is a long time but I know people in exurban communities of Ile des Chenes and St Adolphe have a 30-40 minute wait for police, and EMS/Fire is probably 20-30 depending on where vehicles are on patrol. Towns with ~1000-2000 people.

It's one of those situations where you have to accept rural wait times on emergency vehicles or move in an area (inside the city proper) if you have a condition that might have you calling 911 and you need quick responses.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 4:31 PM

What exactly is this article we're talking about? Those people who live near Main and McPhillips area? I'll go find it.

Edit: I see.
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/closed-r...ance-1.5892959

Lack of familiarity is right. Sturgeon is identified as a future interchange location. I was surprised that they closed it myself. But really it's not much of an increase if the ambulance crew knows that sturgeon was closed.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The main takeaways from the medical emergency off the Perimeter story are that the access roads need as much attention as closing the long established access points and that there should be an access point to the Perimeter every 2 km (approximately 1 mile) which is not the case in that portion of the Perimeter.
Many rural freeways do not have access points for multiple kilometres.

It is only in urban/suburban areas that closely spaced interchanges (2km) are common.

What is reasonable for that stretch? Having watched a few videos of conditions on the Perimeter, only when it brushes the built up areas of Winnipeg does it justify interchanges with <3km spacing.

How often does one need emergency services anyway? If one is at the point where fretting about emergency response times is a thing in life, maybe the days of living in the boonies are done.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 12:31 PM
BANNED

You got to love nimbys, even the dumb ones, so a group of people who bought homes built in 2014 that back onto the south perimeter are now complaining about road noise from you guessed it the south perimeter, now they feel it’s the province and taxpayers who should foot the bill for a berm or noise barriers!

Seriously wha the F did these idiots expect backing onto a highway!?

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
You got to love nimbys, even the dumb ones, so a group of people who bought homes built in 2014 that back onto the south perimeter are now complaining about road noise from you guessed it the south perimeter, now they feel it’s the province and taxpayers who should foot the bill for a berm or noise barriers!

Seriously wha the F did these idiots expect backing onto a highway!?
Article in question:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...576511402.html

The highway was there for like 60 years before their house was built. It wasn't like it popped up overnight lmao. Take a hike.

That's like that cbc article about a guy buying a house near St Adolphe an being all surprised that his house was flooded despite it not being raise or diked. Buyer beware?

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:38 PM

Morons. Not to discredit my wife. But she's construction iliterate. The first thing she notices when we looks at houses (as we're in a protracted moving attempt) is where the highways are and what else is around is. Ie: Not close to where we want to live.

This is the same thing for people moving next to rail lines Or Kenaston in Bridgwater.

Last edited by bomberjet; May 18, 2022 at 3:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:56 PM

Sounds like a project for the local improvement program. A noise attenuating berm isn't one of the projects on the eligible list as far as I know, but it sounds like it should be. Build it and let the people on the street pay it off through their property taxes over the next 10 years.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 5:07 PM

The lady in the article says it kinda feels like we got screwed here.

You bought and built a house right next to a busy highway assuming the government would build you a berm afterwards? I'm pretty sure you should have known what you signed up for.

How about asking the real estate developer to build a berm for yourself and your neighbours?

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 5:11 PM

Next, the people of South Pointe will be asking for a huge dome to block out the stench and errant grocery bags from the dump.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 5:22 PM

People are idiots at times.
Oh, I love living down by the river!" "God damn it! It floods!!!!"

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 8:29 PM

I owned a house backing on to the west perimeter a decade or so back. I knew what noise to expect so it didn't bother me, except when they were doing construction and the semis were using there engine brakes. Shouldn't be an issues in River Park south. You bought it that way, you live with it unless you can get your neighbours together and pay for it yourself.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 12:09 AM

Suburban Karens, gotta love em.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 3:57 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

The classic ones are the ones who live along a railway, like in Windsor Park and Southdale, or in the St. James area by the airport.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Suburban Karens, gotta love em.
No, they are the root of all even in society.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 3:47 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
No, they are the root of all even in society.
He was being sarcastic, but it's really hard to tell on the Internet.

But yes, they are the root of all evil, and must be eradicated with logic and humour.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The Wenzel and Gunn traffic lights are already happening IIRC. Haven't been out that way in a while. But this summer at latest I believe.

Perimeter will be maxed out for traffic lights. Not sure they can squeeze anymore in lol Maybe on 100 at Symington.

Seriously though. The solutions at those small intersections are so simple. One bridge, simple diamond. Really not expensive.
I was out on 101 east today and Gunn is still not signalized.

Looking at MERX there is no tender out for underground work at this intersection right now. Still early in the construction season though for it to start.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 3:59 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Article in question:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...576511402.html

The highway was there for like 60 years before their house was built. It wasn't like it popped up overnight lmao. Take a hike.
Gotta love click-bait stories like this. Who in their right mind would think anyone would sympathize with this person?

If the Free press actually had a comment section, I'm sure there would be a few planted remarks taking the poor home owner's side and subsequent ravaging by angry keyboard warriors.. generating even more clicks.

Sad.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I was out on 101 east today and Gunn is still not signalized.

Looking at MERX there is no tender out for underground work at this intersection right now. Still early in the construction season though for it to start.
I’m sure everyone on this forum regrets seeing this post…

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 4:00 AM

https://canada.constructconnect.com/...aph-april-2022

Came across this article from today (Monday) if you find Manitoba on the chart of projects, it shows two structures for st Mary’s rd.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan