HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 5:02 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
It's a good idea to close Sansom west of Broad say through 19th and make it pedestrian only. At least on blocks where at the moment there are no entrances and exits to parking garages.

Similarly, people have been chiding the condition of Walnut Street lately and I agree its underperforming and also agree the Rittenhouse Row corp has lost it's way a little bit.

Plenty of places need investment, but I wonder if it would make sense to strike one lane (parking) on Walnut to widen the sidewalks on one or both sides of the street to create more opportunity to program the street and create more opportunities for seating, gathering, upgrade lighting, landscaping etc.

Walnut really does deserve a jolt. There could be 2 remaining lanes. 1 for buses and 1 for cars/bikes. In each block you could put a cut out for loading unloading for the businesses that would be restricted to commercial vehicles only.
I say close Samson and juniper in the Gayborhood area Juniper has already been closed for god knows how long and it's basically more pedestrian/bike friendly then anything else.

I also believe that close Samson during bar nights in that area and that was happening pre pandemic that was one of the first roads Ive ever seen closed in the city on a weekly basis not due to construction purposes.

I also think Chestnut between 2nd and Front should be closed to just Peds to allow restaurants, bars and venues to do their thing and because of the cobblestone but then that would interfere with the Turn around cars and buses make to go onto Market St. But maybe that will change when the park/cap is built.

Bonus close off a street in Chinatown and Little Italy as well and make it PEDS and watch how it booms

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 1:21 PM

Sansom Street has parking garage entrances on every block until the 1900 block. Delivery trucks would be an issue as well. It would be hard to truly make Sansom a pedestrian street. Much like the former Chestnut Street transitway, it might end up as the worst of both worlds.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 2:02 PM

They better keep 13th street a weekend pedestrian street after the pandemic. I would say make it permanently a pedestrian street with morning access to deliveries.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 4:16 AM
Philly Pholly

Different proposals in immediate area (red)
under construction (blue)
TIGHT!

Shown with 1810 Chestnut, 1826 Chestnut, 1620 Sansom, 115 19th. and 212 Chestnut.

Rittenhouse Square N

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:49 PM

Demolition Nears At 1620 Sansom Street In Rittenhouse Square, Center City

Quote:
Permits have been filed for the demolition of a parking garage at 1620 Sansom Street in Rittenhouse Square, Center City, two blocks south of the Liberty Place complex. In its place will rise a 340-foot-tall, 27-story residential tower, designed by Solomon Cordwell Buenz and developed by Southern Land Company, which is currently constructing The Laurel Rittenhouse Square nearby. The tower will will feature a varied mix of materials and will span a major portion of the block, standing on a site measures around 190 by 95 feet. The building will have 298 units and 19,600 square feet of restaurant space, 5,200 square feet of retail, and 67 underground parking spaces.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/02/deve...nter-city.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:59 PM

Permits for demolition have been filed since October. Why is PhillyYIMBY making it sound like a new thing?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 7:49 PM

I actually had something different written, but a lot of changes happen in the final edits that I do not make. The title was originally about the developers buying the garage, but it was changed by someone else

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 3:02 PM

I hope this doesn't become another long term hole in the ground or a large undeveloped lot. This is another example where only giving out a demo permit for an active structure should be tied to something that would ensure that the demo is promptly followed by construction.
Southern seems to be an up front, no BS, player, but I'm sure they are dependent on other peoples money for the build. So until all that is wrapped up, all we the public have is Southern's good intent to build, no actual promise.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 3:23 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I hope this doesn't become another long term hole in the ground or a large undeveloped lot. This is another example where only giving out a demo permit for an active structure should be tied to something that would ensure that the demo is promptly followed by construction.
Southern seems to be an up front, no BS, player, but I'm sure they are dependent on other peoples money for the build. So until all that is wrapped up, all we the public have is Southern's good intent to build, no actual promise.
The zoning permit for the new structure was issued in September, but of course even that doesn't require them to proceed. Then again, the $1.2 million demolition cost estimate in the demo permit does give them some incentive to go forward.
Zoning Permit ZP-2020-000646 (Issued)
Application Date: Apr 7, 2020
Issue Date: Sep 16, 2020
Completed Date:
Expiration Date: Sep 15, 2023
Description: Commercial - New construction, addition, GFA change

Type of Work: New construction, addition, GFA change

Approved Scope of Work: 1. FOR THE COMPLETE DEMOLITION OF EXISTING STRUCTURE ON LOT; FOR THE ERECTION OF A DETACHED STRUCTURE(320 FT HIGH) WITH RESIDENTIAL TERRACES AND AWNING. ( MIXED-INCOME BONUS FOR ADDITIONAL GROSS FLOOR AREA (400% EARNED) AS PER CODE SECTION 14-702(7)) SIZE AND LOCATION AS SHOWN IN THE APPLICATION.

Residential - Household Living - Multi-Family
Type of Structure:
Area of Earth Disturbance (sq. ft.): 22298
Occupancy Type: Other
Review Type: Accelerated Review
Primary Location: 1608 SANSOM ST, Philadelphia, PA 19103-5404
Specific Location: 1608-34 Sansom Street
https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...ctId=221297640

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
The zoning permit for the new structure was issued in September, but of course even that doesn't require them to proceed. Then again, the $1.2 million demolition cost estimate in the demo permit does give them some incentive to go forward.
You would think that, but the Toll Bros. Tower on the other end of CC seemingly stopped for pretty shaky reasons. It would be a interesting question to have a developer answer, 'what can you do to convince us that the demo is just a first step in a long process, and that you won't stop stop after the demo is complete?' Maybe the only teeth such a promise could have is having some penalty, as in $$$, attached if the work didn't continue.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 3:00 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
You would think that, but the Toll Bros. Tower on the other end of CC seemingly stopped for pretty shaky reasons. It would be a interesting question to have a developer answer, 'what can you do to convince us that the demo is just a first step in a long process, and that you won't stop stop after the demo is complete?' Maybe the only teeth such a promise could have is having some penalty, as in $$$, attached if the work didn't continue.
Does NYC have a tax or ticket they hit developers with if they don't continue construction after the demo?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 5:31 PM

Federal Donuts announced they were closing this location on 2/24 so it seems like demolition is coming soon. Don't worry they said they are opening a temporary location nearby and then eventually a new one on Sansom. Maybe in the new building?

Federal Donuts: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLZWHsfgCsN/

Also Philly Insider (food writer for Inquirer) mentioned the closing was for a new tower. https://www.instagram.com/p/CLZVv6_jPQI/

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 9:30 PM

^^Philadelphia Business Journal Article about Federal Donuts closing and relocating due to the new tower:

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
^^Philadelphia Business Journal Article about Federal Donuts closing and relocating due to the new tower:

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s
Can we get a synopsis? Paywall, yo.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Can we get a synopsis? Paywall, yo.
Fednuts will reopen nearby(most likely the Rooster space under Goldie) long term plan to reopen in undisclosed location around Rittenhouse on Sansom

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
Fednuts will reopen nearby(most likely the Rooster space under Goldie) long term plan to reopen in undisclosed location around Rittenhouse on Sansom
They should have their pick of the litter.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 6:14 PM

Quote:
As best I understand it, Rooster didn't close (though you never know during this pandemic). Are there plans for them to move as well or are they going out of business?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
As best I understand it, Rooster didn't close (though you never know during this pandemic). Are there plans for them to move as well or are they going out of business?
As far as I know The Rooster closed in 2019:

https://philly.eater.com/2019/6/4/18...elphia-closing

Are you thinking of Happy Rooster? That's still open AFAIK

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 4:51 AM

Quote:
As far as I know The Rooster closed in 2019:

https://philly.eater.com/2019/6/4/18...elphia-closing

Are you thinking of Happy Rooster? That's still open AFAIK
Yes, was thinking Happy Rooster - sorry about the confusion

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 1:27 PM

A view of the block taken on Saturday. This is be a dramatic upgrade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction