HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 10:09 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

22 lane-km in half a year? It still sounds like a race to me.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 12:31 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF1Fan View Post
According to MTO's website for construction updates (https://511on.ca/list/constructionpr...r%5Bdir%5D=asc), it appears they are planning on completing the 11 km widening between Tilbury and Chatham by the end of November. That's really fast, although not surprising given they just have to fill in the median and install concrete barriers - the existing 4 lanes don't need to be touched.
I guess this is the easiest stretch to widen. Once you need to start running into rivers and other things the 401 itself actually overpasses (rail lines for example) then it will get slower.

Also I can't imagine this stretch being very busy right now with the border restrictions so that might play a role since you don't have to manage/fight with traffic as much?

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 1:29 PM

I have been driving back and forth from Windsor to Chatham for the past few days, and there is quite a bit of work going on from Tilbury onward. They're currently working on filling in the medians and installing new sheet piling in the few sections where the 401 passes over creeks and drains in the area.

Between this project and the HWY 3 widening to Leamington also happening, I am quite happy. Lots of overdue road construction is finally happening in the region.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 1:37 PM

The gap from Tilbury to London is huge so it’s going to probably become a 400 extension like project where there is always work happening but there is clearly no rush to actually complete it. They will probably do 10km stretches 1 at a time, finishing up 15+ years from now..

It’s purely a political project and is not needed at all for traffic levels so I’m happy for it to take that long. The billion dollar budget is needed much more elsewhere in the province.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 2:46 PM

The project to widen the 401 through Tilbury is a two-season job. It's expected completion date is November, 2022.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
The project to widen the 401 through Tilbury is a two-season job. It's expected completion date is November, 2022.

Interesting, the website mentions Nov 26 of this year as "anticipated completion time". I have seen them split up construction seasons on that website before, but they do that sparingly. Do you know the source for Nov 2022 timeline?

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I guess this is the easiest stretch to widen. Once you need to start running into rivers and other things the 401 itself actually overpasses (rail lines for example) then it will get slower.

Also I can't imagine this stretch being very busy right now with the border restrictions so that might play a role since you don't have to manage/fight with traffic as much?
There are a few creeks in that stretch. And if that's the case, the Nov 2022 timeline mentioned by sonysnob makes more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The gap from Tilbury to London is huge so it’s going to probably become a 400 extension like project where there is always work happening but there is clearly no rush to actually complete it. They will probably do 10km stretches 1 at a time, finishing up 15+ years from now..

It’s purely a political project and is not needed at all for traffic levels so I’m happy for it to take that long. The billion dollar budget is needed much more elsewhere in the province.
If things go to plan, there's a 55 km section just in Chatham Kent that's supposed to go as a single contract, and another that's 40 km.

Source: https://highway401tilburytolondon.ca/

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF1Fan View Post
Interesting, the website mentions Nov 26 of this year as "anticipated completion time". I have seen them split up construction seasons on that website before, but they do that sparingly. Do you know the source for Nov 2022 timeline?
I asked someone who I know at MTO and they looked up the contract details.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
I have been driving back and forth from Windsor to Chatham for the past few days, and there is quite a bit of work going on from Tilbury onward. They're currently working on filling in the medians and installing new sheet piling in the few sections where the 401 passes over creeks and drains in the area.

Between this project and the HWY 3 widening to Leamington also happening, I am quite happy. Lots of overdue road construction is finally happening in the region.
I’m very happy about both projects, but especially highway 3.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 7:10 PM
User Registered

Ok, having the project take 2 years makes much more sense. This contract end in November probably means a winter shutdown, so construction won't take place until the spring. Tells you it's not as much of a priority compared to other 401 projects like the Milton-Mississauga widening.

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

This isn't a new highway build like the 400 extension but I do get what you are saying. People will complain construction is slow, but at least it's happening. That should be enough to please them politics-wise.

-----

Looks like the project scope goes west to Wellington Road in London, but the Highway's 6 lanes at the 402. Would this mean the 401 would be 8 or 10 lanes between the 402 and Wellington? I could see 8 lanes continuing to Highbury Ave (another project to start soon) or the VMP.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 1:13 AM

London to Milton took most of 20 years and that's a similar distance London to Tilbury. And that project was also done in multiple simultaneous sections. While they were going east from London, they were also going west from Milton and/or both directions from Kitchener.

As for the project ending at Wellington Rd, maybe by the time this gets all the way here (assuming it only works from west to east), there will be a need to widen at Wellington. I assume that the Dingman overpass will be replaced, so maybe that is the actual eastern terminus of the project.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:49 PM

It's odd that none of the documents on the project website show detail on design. With expected completion of next year I'd think these already exist somewhere.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:27 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Maybe MTO just thinks it's a no-brainer.
"See grassy median? Think future left lane."
(Well, unless you were asking about 8-lanes of 401 east of London instead...)

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Maybe MTO just thinks it's a no-brainer.
"See grassy median? Think future left lane."
(Well, unless you were asking about 8-lanes of 401 east of London instead...)
Yes, the London leg to Wellington Rd was what I was talking about

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 12:25 AM

The 401 looking west from the Dixie Interchange towards the 401/403/410 mega-interchange:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...ay21_24x16.png

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 2:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

One of few interchanges in Canada will flyovers.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
One of few interchanges in Canada will flyovers.
There are more and more. Even Saskatchewan has one (new Highway 1/11 interchange west of Regina).

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 4:13 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
There are more and more. Even Saskatchewan has one (new Highway 1/11 interchange west of Regina).
Manitoba has one too now (101/59).

Back to 401: At least I’m happy that we aren’t using cloverleaves for major interchanges like this.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 4:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Manitoba has one too now (101/59).

Back to 401: At least I’m happy that we aren’t using cloverleaves for major interchanges like this.
really? https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8154...i8192?hl=en-US
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
101, not 100. Looks more like a fly over-under to me though.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.9499...1!1e3?hl=en-US

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario