HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Extreme SW Ontario has a lot of potential for growth in population due to people retiring there. I know a lot of people from the Northeast who have moved down there and many who are considering living there.

I think I mentioned it on here before that the towns South of Windsor have the most potential due to climate and the fact it isn't crowded and expensive. Very affordable housing and excellent services available. You are still in Canada and don't have to change provinces. So no issues with received Old Age Security and health coverage with your Ontario health card.

I was just talking with a senior Timmins couple who bought a house in Amherstburg, sold their house in Timmins but are keeping their cottage which is near Timmins as they will come back up at times. They love the fact that the Detroit airport is so close and they can get cheap flights to Arizona to visit friends.
I agree, the area has really been undervalued for a very long time, and now people are finally taking notice of it’s many positive attributes. Unemployment rate is now the lowest in the whole province, at 4.6%, home values are rising fast and population growth has just started to rev up in the past few years.
With Detroit’s economy and reputation now on the rise, the whole region on both sides of the border should boom!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 4:37 PM

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 8:12 PM

$120 million hotel-condo-housing development planned for Amherstburg

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...or-amherstburg

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 5:33 PM

its developing very fast now! I am in london and it's crazy how quick things are changing.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 6:20 PM

Renters Fuel London Building Boom as City Passes $1B Mark Again

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...-year-in-a-row

London has a sizeable construction boom going on which is truly fantastic to see. I suspect things will slow down but become steady in the future. There are quite a few tall buildings under construction at the moment and there are more that will hopefully start this year. I figure London is also going to start to see some spillover from people leaving the GTA in the coming years, which will continue to contribute to population growth.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:46 AM

Are you thinking people leaving the GTA and relocating to London?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 12:21 PM

People have been leaving the GTA for many different cities in Southwestern Ontario, there have been many news stories about this.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:13 PM

Summer hiring: Southwestern Ontario a tale of two cities

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...-of-two-cities

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 3:58 PM

Chatham’s Boardwalk on the Thames to have first tenants by March first.

A long time coming, but I’m sure they will be very popular, especially with so many GTA residents moving to Southwestern Ontario.

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/chatham-s...ch-1-1.5311603

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 8:52 PM

Great news for Chatham. It is a lovely little city that doesn't get the attention it deserves but that is finally starting to change.

Chatham/Kent really could become a retirement mecca due to it's still very affordable housing and land costs, pleasant downtown, picturesque towns, accessible location, lovely lakeshore and beaches, and having a mild climate with very little snow.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 9:34 PM

This Boutin and company are crooks... 10 years and still not complete...

"Boutin says 44 of the 88 units in the 8 floor building are essentially complete. The 8th floor also remains under construction."

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
This Boutin and company are crooks... 10 years and still not complete...

"Boutin says 44 of the 88 units in the 8 floor building are essentially complete. The 8th floor also remains under construction."
Yeah, way too long to get this project finished unfortunately, but at least they’re finally going to have people move in and hopefully move a lot quicker to finish the rest of the units.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Great news for Chatham. It is a lovely little city that doesn't get the attention it deserves but that is finally starting to change.

Chatham/Kent really could become a retirement mecca due to it's still very affordable housing and land costs, pleasant downtown, picturesque towns, accessible location, lovely lakeshore and beaches, and having a mild climate with very little snow.
Yeah, I really like Chatham’s downtown, very quaint with lots of fine Victorian homes surrounding it. It’s a bit rough around the edges, but I actually like a little grit, it just seems more authentic to me.

The city has a great location halfway between Windsor and London, and I feel there is a lot of potential for all three cities to thrive and grow nicely moving forward.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 7:06 PM

Chatham - The Wellington - 30s, 10s

I was in Chatham yesterday checking out the downtown since I may be calling it home later this year. I was walking by the office of Everlast Group, the developers behind the recently finished Boardwalk on Thames tower, and saw this rendering for what appears to be a two-tower development in the area. Based on the background of the rendering, the site appears to be 167 Wellington Street West, which is currently an empty parking lot.

I was checking Google streetview and it appears that this rendering was placed up in the window between July 2019 and November 2020. I'll be interested to see if this becomes anything.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 1:24 PM

^ Wow, that would be an amazing development for Chatham, I hope it actually happens!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 5:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

April Fool's joke? a 30s building in Chatham?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 5:46 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
April Fool's joke? a 30s building in Chatham?
Newest annexation by the GTA I guess. Spreading like the plague.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Chatham - The Wellington - 30s, 10s

I was in Chatham yesterday checking out the downtown since I may be calling it home later this year. I was walking by the office of Everlast Group, the developers behind the recently finished Boardwalk on Thames tower, and saw this rendering for what appears to be a two-tower development in the area. Based on the background of the rendering, the site appears to be 167 Wellington Street West, which is currently an empty parking lot.

I was checking Google streetview and it appears that this rendering was placed up in the window between July 2019 and November 2020. I'll be interested to see if this becomes anything.

"...recently finished Boardwalk on Thames tower,..." - no, still not finished - a few apartments available but that's it. If they let Everlast build anything again in CK that to me says it all - crooks

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 5:34 PM

Got some pictures in St Thomas yesterday. This may not be comprehensive but here's some updates from that community:

1) The recently-completed Seasons Retirement Community downtown at Ross and Centre

2) New social services office, plus 28 units of affordable housing at 230 Talbot at the intersection with Queen

3) the new STEGH finished in 2018

source

4) 292 Wellington
A 6-storey, 80-unit retirement building currently 3-4 storeys out of the ground, from Sunray Group.

source

5) Alma College redevelopment
A large, three-phase development that will see a 6, a 7 and an 8-storey apartment building constructed where a beautiful old school burned by fire.

Site:

source

source

Renders:

source

source

source

source

Yesterday, phase one has reached full height:

6) Flora Apartments, not yet started construction
15 Flora St, 24 apartments

source

7) Fairview Condos
29 units at Fairview and Wellington

source

Last edited by johnnyhamont; May 3, 2021 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 6:29 PM

Groundbreaking held in Chatham for new Riverview Drive apartment
https://www.chathamdailynews.ca/news...rive-apartment

More rental housing is on the horizon in Chatham, with work now underway for a new 138-unit apartment building on Riverview Drive.

SkyDev, the property’s developer, released a virtual groundbreaking celebration on Tuesday to help kick off the construction.

The development, called ‘Rivers Edge,’ is owned by Skyline Apartment REIT. It is located at 53 and 57 Riverview Dr., adjacent to other existing rental properties along the Thames River.

Billed as an affordable luxury apartment, it is slated for occupancy in the fall of 2022.

The development will consist of a four-storey complex with luxury suites and on-site amenities, including an indoor/outdoor lounge and terrace, on-site gym and yoga studio.

There will also be a number of environmental features, including on-site electric vehicle chargers and a community garden.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario