HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
This fell under the radar. But, it looks amazing. The execution looks flawless. And the campus looks amazing. I haven't been back in so many years. Go Owls!!!

Temple's new library: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq8QrrWAOcE
It looks gorgeous, and I really want to visit soon. The last time I was on campus, a lot has changed quickly in terms of updates/landscaping. However, on the Temple subreddit I have read a lot of complaints about the new library not being a great place to study. Apparently very open (loud), with very few nooks or study rooms compared to Paley.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:15 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
It looks gorgeous, and I really want to visit soon. The last time I was on campus, a lot has changed quickly in terms of updates/landscaping. However, on the Temple subreddit I have read a lot of complaints about the new library not being a great place to study. Apparently very open (loud), with very few nooks or study rooms compared to Paley.
Yeah, I like to visit the campus and library too, but don't know when I will have time. Here's some info on the rooms with doors where it would be quiet as oppose to open space where sound travels easily:

https://library.temple.edu/spaces/25

My quick math tells me about 114 people can study in rooms at any given point during the 24-hr period if they are looking for a quiet environment to study. For me, I always been able to block out noise even while reading or studying or doing some tasks at a desk.

BTW...if you do go, grab some pics and post them here-I'm ok with spoiler alerts of how it looks...THANKS!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
It looks like (most) of the "screens" at Fashion District are going to be good old fashioned LED-lit billboards - not digital signage/video. There looks to be 3-4 digital displays but the other 5 or 6 will be static - basically the same thing you get along a highway. At least that's what it appears. Damn, where's those lunatics at SCRUB when you need them. Huge disappointment to me. PREIT cost-cutting?

The buildings have definitely been cleaned - but the street-side landscaping is now a mess. It's not irrigated or maintained and are now weed pits.

The Israelites and tougher-looking individuals were posted up on the South side from the Wawa down to the courthouse - the whole experience is pretty surreal. I just can't imagine what tourists are thinking walking there right now. The good news is these spaces are definitely flagship size and will be the largest this side of NYC.
I'm not understanding how the concern is SO specific in regards to one group on Market. There is LOT going on out there on a daily basis- perhaps you don't see it during the week. I don't see any Israelistes during the week, but there is plenty to see in terms of addicts hunched over or panhandling or just loitering. Not sure if they qualify as "tough looking individuals" but it's a taste of K and A right on Market street. But hey, at least they aren't Israelites.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:43 PM

K and A?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:53 PM

Kensington and Allegheny.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:06 PM

Its hard to believe the FDP is opening in 10 days based on what's visible to the passerby- nothing looks ready to open and only Nike and Ulta look like they are reasonably close. I saw missing floor tiles in one of the main entrances, wires hanging down, plastic on escalators, very few store signs and incomplete exterior signage all around. They must be planning on lots of OT over next 10 days. City Winery still has open walls and is totally a construction site that barely resembles a restaurant. It doesn't even have window glass installed along filbert street.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
Its hard to believe the FDP is opening in 10 days based on what's visible to the passerby- nothing looks ready to open and only Nike and Ulta look like they are reasonably close. I saw missing floor tiles in one of the main entrances, wires hanging down, plastic on escalators, very few store signs and incomplete exterior signage all around. They must be planning on lots of OT over next 10 days. City Winery still has open walls and is totally a construction site that barely resembles a restaurant. It doesn't even have window glass installed along filbert street.
This entire project reminds me of cramming for a final project in college.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:42 PM

I'm fully expecting FDP to be a major financial failure. But it's definitely a huge improvement and I'm very excited to see it once it's truly open (in like a year), but man the whole thing seems like a boondogle. But hey it's not my money, and maybe I'm wrong. I just worry that when they say they are open and people start to come in before the full slate of offerings is open, it will give shoppers a bad first impression.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:20 PM

Drove by FDP today. I second the "not ready for primetime" vibe. Looks far from ready even for a soft opening. The final exterior product is coming into view and it's not pretty. Still hoping to be wrong about its success/impact, because a white elephant is not what Market East needs.

In other news, the saucer in Love Park is getting glass today.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I'm fully expecting FDP to be a major financial failure. But it's definitely a huge improvement and I'm very excited to see it once it's truly open (in like a year), but man the whole thing seems like a boondogle. But hey it's not my money, and maybe I'm wrong. I just worry that when they say they are open and people start to come in before the full slate of offerings is open, it will give shoppers a bad first impression.
I do wonder why they announced the formal start date weeks in advance with so much to do. People have already been waiting years- why not delay another month? Considering how much is undone the workforce on site wasn't that big. Perhaps many are working within the retail spaces on fitout work, but in total I saw 20-30 guys max after walking around- including under both "tunnels" i.e. 9th and 10th street. There is now a billboard up for dunkin donuts facing market st.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Yea looking like the city and state would have been better off not giving preit any tax breaks or incentives and just sort of pushing them to sell. A failing company that is clueless about urban retail design making a hail Mary attempt to save their business was perhaps not the best fit for the redevelopment of the gallery.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 9:21 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Yep, and unfortunately, that boat already sailed...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 12:54 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
The Peyton, parking garage to apartment conversion around 16th and Pine close to wrapping up.

Here's Sandy Smith's write-up of the finished product at PhillyMag:

Apartment Profile: The Peyton | PhillyMag.com
Quote:
Alterra kept the parking spaces in its basement, turned its first floor into its new headquarters, and turned the two upper floors into 20 one-bedroom apartments. Then it topped everything off with a large roof deck.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 1:32 AM

Exciting South Philly news - they are digging at the big vacant lot across from Pat's at 9th and Wharton (there is another smaller lot catty corner from the cheesesteak spot and yet another one catty corner with a community garden on it - I am talking about the bigger one directly across 9th street with the mural). Per the philarising site, it is a 25-unit building with ground floor commercial plus 3 rowhomes.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 1:22 PM

Just walked the FDP. Ain't NO way that's gonna be a nice shiny opening. We're a week out and there's unfinished, raw stuff everywhere. I love how they put up Black Plywood on the corners of 10th and 11th as if we wouldn't realize there was raw space behind it. That'll fool 'em.

The good news is that the corner of 10th has a liquor license application there. Hope it's something cool. The north side of market needs a few more booze options.

Haven't seen any of the inside but the outside is a wreck.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Just walked the FDP. Ain't NO way that's gonna be a nice shiny opening. We're a week out and there's unfinished, raw stuff everywhere. I love how they put up Black Plywood on the corners of 10th and 11th as if we wouldn't realize there was raw space behind it. That'll fool 'em.

The good news is that the corner of 10th has a liquor license application there. Hope it's something cool. The north side of market needs a few more booze options.

I’m pretty sure that’s a Chickie’s and Pete’s.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Yea looking like the city and state would have been better off not giving preit any tax breaks or incentives and just sort of pushing them to sell. A failing company that is clueless about urban retail design making a hail Mary attempt to save their business was perhaps not the best fit for the redevelopment of the gallery.
What do any of you suggest could successfully inhabit this space instead of what is currently being developed?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I’m pretty sure that’s a Chickie’s and Pete’s.
Makes sense....

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
"We're open during construction!" flags should be draped on the building.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:10 PM
Philly Pholly

Build the towers

FDP6

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development