HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 3:52 PM

Critique of Musk has gotten sucked into our cultural meta-problem, which is political polarization. He himself has amped that conflict up big time, with the how and why of his Twitter acquisition.

But there are legit critiques of him that lie outside Trumpism/MAGA. If we ever want to have productive discussions about this stuff, we'll have to separate out his MAGA stuff from his businesses. Not easy, I admit. But otherwise we'll continually get bogged down in a bigger blue/red fight that honestly no one really wants on this board.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Critique of Musk has gotten sucked into our cultural meta-problem, which is political polarization. He himself has amped that conflict up big time, with the how and why of his Twitter acquisition.

But there are legit critiques of him that lie outside Trumpism/MAGA. If we ever want to have productive discussions about this stuff, we'll have to separate out his MAGA stuff from his businesses. Not easy, I admit. But otherwise we'll continually get bogged down in a bigger blue/red fight that honestly no one really wants on this board.
What red/blue fight are we bogged down in? The present discussion is about workers safety and wage theft at his factory and the subpar product that is autopilot and full self driving. What about any of that is MAGA?

There is an entire NY Times documentary on the massive problems at Tesla as well as state and federal investigations. To say that TALKING about any of these things is somehow political is non-sensical. The reason Elon says that he is being targeted as a republican is in order to suggest bias in the investigations that pre-date his public right turn. It's a similar argument that people like Trump, Raniere and other cult like figures use when they fuck up and the reporting of those fuck ups interfere with the illusion that they have cast about their persona.

So anyway, what's up with this permit?
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...errsn=13043637

Last edited by freerover; Nov 15, 2022 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 4:45 PM

Cars are not safe. Developing autopilot will result in accidents. In the end, I think the risk is worth it, considering the possibilities of MUCH fewer accidents. Human drivers scare me much more than auto-pilot.

But whatever. I don’t give a shit about Elon, but I’m a fan of ALL his companies.

He sure shit is doing more than I do to progress humankind. He will go down as one of the most influential people is all of history.

Would I want my daughter to date him? Hell no, but his personal life/views are NONE of my business.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Cars are not safe. Developing autopilot will result in accidents. In the end, I think the risk is worth it, considering the possibilities of MUCH fewer accidents. Human drivers scare me much more than auto-pilot.

But whatever. I don’t give a shit about Elon, but I’m a fan of ALL his companies.

He sure shit is doing more than I do to progress humankind. He will go down as one of the most influential people is all of history.

Would I want my daughter to date him? Hell no, but his personal life/views are NONE of my business.
I agree. There is alot of variables to consider with autopilot. What condition the parts on your car are in, like the brakes. Road conditions like rain or ice. Then Tesla is getting away from the Radar technology in its cars just to rely on one computer system that Tesla designed.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
What red/blue fight are we bogged down in? The present discussion is about workers safety and wage theft at his factory and the subpar product that is autopilot and full self driving. What about any of that is MAGA?

There is an entire NY Times documentary on the massive problems at Tesla as well as state and federal investigations. To say that TALKING about any of these things is somehow political is non-sensical. The reason Elon says that he is being targeted as a republican is in order to suggest bias in the investigations that pre-date his public right turn. It's a similar argument that people like Trump, Raniere and other cult like figures use when they fuck up and the reporting of those fuck ups interfere with the illusion that they have cast about their persona.

So anyway, what's up with this permit?
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...errsn=13043637
I mean he did Tweet out to his audience encouraging them to vote Republican, so there's that: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/08/t...elections.html

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk View Post
I mean he did Tweet out to his audience encouraging them to vote Republican, so there's that: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/08/t...elections.html
What does that have to do with what we’re talking about here?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
What does that have to do with what we’re talking about here?
the point is he's done a lot of stuff to warrant legitimate criticism outside of just being "different".

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
the point is he's done a lot of stuff to warrant legitimate criticism outside of just being "different".
^^

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 9:56 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

So now it's a legit criticism to vote Republican? Got it.

Could a mod finally do something about this? It's been going on in multiple threads.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 10:00 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post

His personal views, being the owner of a social media company which is where our de facto national free speech conversation takes place, is very much everyone’s business. If our ability to effectively and substantively engage in free speech is now infringed upon by a company, rather than the government, you make it your business if you care about our Constitution’s first principles.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 10:01 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
So now it's a legit criticism to vote Republican? Got it.

Could a mod finally do something about this? It's been going on in multiple threads.
No, but it is certainly a legit criticism to vote for any candidate of any party that wants to subvert democracy. Why would anyone want to do that? So that they can stay in office and enjoy the power that comes with it without fear voters will reject them in a future election. It just so happens that one party has the lion’s share of those candidates in this present crisis and passes the lion’s share of restrictive voting.

(I hope you noticed the positive and honorary nod to Reagan in what I just said)
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 10:04 PM

Elon triggers too many people, and we can't seem to have a discussion about his companies without getting political.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin