HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 1:43 PM

That original corner use to house the developer's office on the second floor above that awful Hawaiian place. They originally had plans for a 19 story student housing tower similar to UH next door with ground floor retail. From what I remembered it was almost cladded in this nice blue glass.

They never took it thru entitlements from my understanding. I think their renderings were based on the multiple overlays Tempe has overlapped on that corner including a reduction in parking requirements. It will be interesting to see if they sold those plans to this Canadian developer to move forward with.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Is it just me, or is this different than the original plans? The layout seems different to me. I am trying to find the YouTube fly-through, but am not having luck.
Here is the fly-through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN2k...ature=youtu.be

It looks more or less the same to me, but I haven't compared the two closely.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalzonie View Post
0.4 acres at college ave and 6th st. Current location is jacks tix and paradise hawaiian bbq. No specific development plans identified.
I believe it was built at the same time as University Towers — it matches architecturally — but got split up along the way. I agree, a better density project could and should go there.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 5:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
If they don't get it done this time someone ought to nuke that tacky eyesore.
Not again. Ugh.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Not again. Ugh.
I know you want to preserve the Mill but you have to realize most people have no idea what it is. Most people don't make the connection, Ive been asked by several people (who know I follow this stuff) why they haven't torn it down already

Tempe hasn't done much to make the Mil more than an ugly abandoned eyesore.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 8:34 PM

dumb opinions abound folks :-D

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post
dumb opinions abound folks :-D
what dumb is thinking that everyone shares your opinions, or that your opinion is even slightly reasonable.

as I've said before the Mill's only significance is the road/neighborhood named after it. The city itself has tried to move to a "downtown Tempe" branding. If the namesake is lost there is no point in maintaining a 100 year old flour mill on extremely valuable land.

Just because something is old doesn't make it worth saving.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 9:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I know you want to preserve the Mill but you have to realize most people have no idea what it is. Most people don't make the connection, Ive been asked by several people (who know I follow this stuff) why they haven't torn it down already

Most people don't know that it's a grain tower? 'Mill' Ave, anyone? Obviously this is a proposal that requires a strong public private partnership and doesn't get done by waving a magic wand. Sometimes this stuff takes a really long long time. Doesn't mean we should tear it down, or nuke it as was proposed earlier.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
what dumb is thinking that everyone shares your opinions, or that your opinion is even slightly reasonable.

as I've said before the Mill's only significance is the road/neighborhood named after it. The city itself has tried to move to a "downtown Tempe" branding. If the namesake is lost there is no point in maintaining a 100 year old flour mill on extremely valuable land.

Just because something is old doesn't make it worth saving.
I personally love the Mill, but I agree it's not necessarily "dumb" to think otherwise.

To me, there are other reasons to attempt to preserve it besides "the street's named after it," including:
  • It's the oldest reinforced concrete building in Tempe. "Old" may not always be a reason to preserve, but I think "oldest" sometimes can be.
  • It's on the National Register of Historic Places at the State Level of Significance. So obviously the powers that be view it as historically significant.
  • It played a significant role in Arizona's history. From this link: From the start of operations in 1874, the Hayden mill became one of the most widely known institutions in the Arizona Territory. In early territorial days the product of this mill was carried in freight wagons and by pack-trains to most of the mining camps and military posts in the Territory and its output was estimated in millions of dollars. Army and government contracts running into hundreds of thousands of dollars were filled from this mill and Hayden Flour was known in every town and mining camp in Arizona. The Salt River Pima Indians grew wheat which they brought to the mill by horseback, and Hayden established trading posts on the Gila River Indian Reservation to supply the mill. Hayden Mills flour sacks were an important source of children’s clothing for many pioneer families. The mill, along with Hayden’s store, warehouses, blacksmith shop, and ferry, became the trade center for the south side of the Salt River Valley.
  • The Mill was founded and run by Charles and Carl Hayden, significant figures in Tempe and Arizona history
  • I just like them--I think the silos themselves look awesome, and I don't really view them as an "eyesore." And I imagine a lot of people feel the same way.
On a related note, I just looked down there and there is a crew that appears to be preparing to bury the power lines that run on the south side of the Mill. So maybe with that, and the agreement negotiated with the developer, we may finally actually see it redeveloped? To me that's the best case regardless of whether you like the Mill or not.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I personally love the Mill, but I agree it's not necessarily "dumb" to think otherwise.

To me, there are other reasons to attempt to preserve it besides "the street's named after it," including:
  • It's the oldest reinforced concrete building in Tempe. "Old" may not always be a reason to preserve, but I think "oldest" sometimes can be.
  • It's on the National Register of Historic Places at the State Level of Significance. So obviously the powers that be view it as historically significant.
  • It played a significant role in Arizona's history. From this link: From the start of operations in 1874, the Hayden mill became one of the most widely known institutions in the Arizona Territory. In early territorial days the product of this mill was carried in freight wagons and by pack-trains to most of the mining camps and military posts in the Territory and its output was estimated in millions of dollars. Army and government contracts running into hundreds of thousands of dollars were filled from this mill and Hayden Flour was known in every town and mining camp in Arizona. The Salt River Pima Indians grew wheat which they brought to the mill by horseback, and Hayden established trading posts on the Gila River Indian Reservation to supply the mill. Hayden Mills flour sacks were an important source of children’s clothing for many pioneer families. The mill, along with Hayden’s store, warehouses, blacksmith shop, and ferry, became the trade center for the south side of the Salt River Valley.
  • The Mill was founded and run by Charles and Carl Hayden, significant figures in Tempe and Arizona history
  • I just like them--I think the silos themselves look awesome, and I don't really view them as an "eyesore." And I imagine a lot of people feel the same way.
On a related note, I just looked down there and there is a crew that appears to be preparing to bury the power lines that run on the south side of the Mill. So maybe with that, and the agreement negotiated with the developer, we may finally actually see it redeveloped? To me that's the best case regardless of whether you like the Mill or not.

And I think Tempe has hurt their own cause with the Mill by not doing more to make the story of the Mill more central to the Towns history.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:

There's a relatively interesting park with placards and old photo boards at the mill, and you can look inside the building at the old structure and some of the equipment. Have you ever gone there and looked at it? It's pretty cool to walk up to it and look inside.

I like the mill. How many historic industrial buildings does the entire state even have? It's a really cool relic sitting in plain site for all to look at (and enjoy... at least I do).

Check it out if you never have. One of the more interesting things I found out was there is an old water intake/stream/channel/well that they covered up with dirt at one point in history. There are plans to uncover it once they ever do redevelop the site. That would be pretty cool.

If the site is redeveloped, I hope the mill doesn't change much. It would be nice for it to be prominent no matter what happens on the site.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Fencing went up today at Broadstone Lakeside.

Once those crybabies settle on a Crescent Rio solution, there will be a nice stretch of residential on 1st St.

For reference:

http://azbex.com/design-continues-fo...tone-lakeside/
Demo is well underway now. Good to see some of the planned developments moving dirt.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 10:23 PM

I am all in

Quote:
And I think Tempe has hurt their own cause with the Mill by not doing more to make the story of the Mill more central to the Towns history.
If they can get it done now. Maybe the city should put a museum thing on the ballot and get it rehabbed that way. Put it up for vote and let's see who is willing to pay for the history. Every friend I bring to Tempe from out of state says what is that tacky thing? and Tempe is a neat downtown except for that eyesore.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 11:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
If they can get it done now. Maybe the city should put a museum thing on the ballot and get it rehabbed that way. Put it up for vote and let's see who is willing to pay for the history. Every friend I bring to Tempe from out of state says what is that tacky thing? and Tempe is a neat downtown except for that eyesore.
Really? So, you have all these friends coming to town and as you're driving down Mill, each one universally points out the property and says the same thing without any prompting by you? That's simply unbelievable! Surprising since there are so cool projects, buildings, variety and urbanization in the area, that they hone in that specifically. Guess the glass is half empty.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post
Really? So, you have all these friends coming to town and as you're driving down Mill, each one universally points out the property and says the same thing without any prompting by you? That's simply unbelievable! Surprising since there are so cool projects, buildings, variety and urbanization in the area, that they hone in that specifically. Guess the glass is half empty.
"it doesn't count unless literally everyone says they dont like it"

just 1 person saying something is memorable, more than how many dont say anything, Ive heard both residents and visitors make a mention of the Mill because it is ugly.

Why do some of you get so hostile when the average layman says an ugly building is ugly. You must be great at parties.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 6:24 PM

http://azbex.com/asu-athletic-facili...rict-projects/

2018 seems so far away for the first phase! At least it's moving forward.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
http://azbex.com/asu-athletic-facili...rict-projects/

2018 seems so far away for the first phase! At least it's moving forward.
Definitely good to see it moving ahead.

Brian Kearney was one of the project managers and was out front and center for the big Blue Sky development in Scottsdale that seems to have failed. I'm sure he's got a pretty big sore spot for Scottsdale and is happy to be working on the facilities district.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 9:12 PM

Yes they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post
I have several friends who like I are interested in among other things architecture and building. And yes over a period of years several have commented about the eyesore of the Mill. You have a problem with that? It may give you warm fuzzies and you may think of yourself as Mr. History or building preserver or something but yes in the real world there are people who find that thing butt ugly. Be great if they can do something about it soon if not nuke the thing.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 2:36 AM

What is the rush to "nuke" the Old Mill all of a sudden? Aside from the redevelopment plan, is there some other totally awesome proposal for the area that the Mill is preventing from moving forward of which I'm unaware? It's not as if it's on last piece of land in downtown Tempe that could potentially be developed either. 100 Mill, which is literally right across the street, can't even get off the ground, so I doubt that tearing the Mill down would do more more than give us a vacant lot for the foreseeable future. Also, I'm pretty sure that people don't think, "Oh I'd go down to Mill Ave/downtown Tempe more often if only they'd get rid of that tacky, old, butt ugly eyesore!"

Tearing it down would cost money, probably a lot of money since it's several very large reinforced concrete structures that would then have to be hauled away. So unless a developer has the cash, time and motivation to do it, don't go expecting that the city will just because some people don't think it has any value in its current state.

I agree that using 'it's old' should not be an excuse to save just any building, but I also don't think that 'it's ugly right now' should be the only reason to demolish something historical. The Mill will either get redeveloped one of these days, or it will eventually get torn down when and if someone has a decent, viable plan for the land it's on. For God's sake, it took them 60 years to tear down the old Mill Ave. bridge that closed in 1931 so I don't think that waiting 6 years since the end of the Great Recession to get something going on the mill site is asking too much of anyone's patience. I'd much rather see that miserable old junkyard at 1st St. & Farmer finally go away than have the Mill torn down for no other reason than some people don't know or understand its significance or think it's ugly at the moment.

Last edited by RichTempe; May 14, 2016 at 4:07 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 5:30 AM

My two cents...

I lived at West 6th for 2 1/2 years and at the time was very proud of my city (not saying I'm not now, just live in Old Town now). I use to take people in from Center Parkway to Mill so they got the full effect of downtown Tempe. Historic bridge, shiny glass buildings, A Mountain, Beach Park, & of course the Mill. I have had people ask me "is that the Mill?" or the dumb question "is that why they call it Mill Ave" (which is more of an assurance question). I've never had anyone ask "what is that ugly building?" or anything along those lines. & I entertained tons of people. So idk what you mean when you say your friends don't know its a Mill. Its pretty obvious.

Anyway, I believe that the Mill is one piece of history that needs to stay. You can't replace everything with a modern, high-mid rise building. It gets boring and consistent. This gives some flavor and a nice effect. You can modify things (such is proposed), but to demolish it completely is ridiculous. Might as well switch the name to Center Parkway, because if they did that people wouldn't know why its called Mill Ave 25 years from now. Its a huge part of history & it should be taken care of. Most people think its cool, creepy, mysterious and/or interesting. I literally have never heard someone say "that building is ugly".

With that said, I agree it could use a fresh coat of paint & some restoration or redevelopment. To say it needs to be torn down.... lets be real... That statement is unrealistic. I would be the first to be pissed/against it. I'm sure many people would follow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest