HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Hey so on that website there is something called "Scottsdale Hotel" for Starwood. Is that an actual development or just a concept? it looks like an infill project..
It looks suspiciously like the site where the Broadstone Waterfront apts were just developed by Alliance Residential. Along the canal just south of Scottsdale Fashion Square.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
It's actually confusing because the complex called Centerpoint is not where West Sixth is. But the original West Sixth was to be called Centerpoint and include 4 towers.

The project which I am referring to is the "actual" Centerpoint in the rendering that MegaBass posted.
The original Centerpoint development included the Centerpoint (now W6) condos, Chase buildings/garages, movie theater, shops/eateries along west-side of Mill, and the Marriott hotel. The site is pretty much summed by Mill to West, 5th St north (6th St between Mill/Maple), railroad tracks to west (besides Whole Foods site) and University to the south.

Eventually, DMB sold off the sites one by one, including Hanover and the abandoned condo project (hence, why they are no longer a part of Centerpoint). The theater did bad, so they were gonna throw a hotel there. Instead, AMC is now there, W6 was completed, and Hanover is near done. So yes, prior to 2010, W6 was a part of the "actual" Centerpoint and post-2010 it is not.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...otel/25555315/

Could we see the Suns come to downtown Tempe or the east valley? I couldn't imagine USA, Suns, and ASU all sharing an arena. In fact, it makes more sense to me that USA and ASU would share an arena than any other combination of two, but is it possible that the combination of 3 happens? Or that we see two arenas? Maybe ASU/USA arena at Rural/Rio Salado and a Suns arena at University/Mill or somewhere else along the lake such as Pier 202 or something. I think the problem is there is limited space to build 2 arenas.

By the way, The Grand at Papago has advertising signs now up at the site. They've recently been installed.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 7:26 PM

South bank project is 2 separate lots. Both contain approximately 272 apartments and one has 4,800 SF of retail while the other has 5,100. The DRC schedule date is 5/12. Please be high rise or at least 8+. I can't imagine we will see anything less than 5 considering what happened here last time. I imagine they must be high rise - dual towers.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
South bank project is 2 separate lots. Both contain approximately 272 apartments and one has 4,800 SF of retail while the other has 5,100. The DRC schedule date is 5/12. Please be high rise or at least 8+. I can't imagine we will see anything less than 5 considering what happened here last time. I imagine they must be high rise - dual towers.
Ah the City of Tempe site says the max heights for both will be no more than 84'...hardly a "high rise"...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
^------ What he said! I finally got back out to take photos of the DRC signs. Here they are!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 3:33 AM

USA Basketball not likely to accept ASU proposal to move facilities to Tempe

Quote:
Arizona State still wants to be the new home for USA Basketball but such a move is unlikely to happen, according to USA Basketball Chairman Jerry Colangelo.

Colangelo, former Phoenix Suns and Arizona Diamondbacks chairman/CEO, said USA Basketball probably will remain in Colorado Springs, Colo., its home since 1993. USA Basketball is the national governing body for men's and women's basketball, selecting and training teams that represent the United States in international competitions including the Olympics and World Championships.

"The (USA Basketball Board of Directors) feeling right now might be that it's best just to put this on the shelf yet again," said Colangelo, who twice in the last decade has tried to bring USA Basketball to metro Phoenix, first to Glendale and most recently to Tempe.

Plans for a $436-million project known as USA Place on ASU property fell apart in January when ASU ended negotiations with developer Concord Eastridge. That project was to include an Omni Hotel and conference center, luxury apartments, retail and office space and underground parking in addition to the headquarters and training center for USA Basketball and the Arizona Interscholastic Association offices, all located near University Drive and Mill Avenue, a major entryway to ASU.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 3:56 PM

I don't really understand what the problem is here....they are trying to move but don't want to move?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 12:30 AM

1) Tea 2 Go opened in the Tempe Transportation Center; assuming that RevoPizza is still open? If so, the Center should be fully leased which is pretty impressive.
2) Nush opened across the street from University House on College Ave; it's hard to keep track of what is actually open in that area, though; there was College Dropouts, the Cantina, Mad Hatter, etc. Between Studio 5C and the building to its south, I have no idea what is currently leased.
3) Corner Bakery is opening in the Gateway building; I think that only leaves 1 space unoccupied.
4) 7th Street Mixed Use - posted by DevilsRider - is office, residential, and hotel w/ 444 residential units and 230 hotel rooms. Height is TBD, ugh; but, this has to be a high-rise with that # of apartments... I'm thinking 250' for the apartments and 150' for the hotel?
5) Just confirming AZSUNSURFER's post that the two SouthBank apartments are listed at 84' each... that's the same height as Hanover (6 stories) - which is really, really lame especially considering that their initial proposals were denied for lack of density. Yes, adding retail makes it more conducive to the General Plan, but if there's one place high-rise residential makes sense in Tempe, it's on the finite amount of lakefront property!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 5:33 AM
A City's where I'll die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
1) Tea 2 Go opened in the Tempe Transportation Center; assuming that RevoPizza is still open? If so, the Center should be fully leased which is pretty impressive.
2) Nush opened across the street from University House on College Ave; it's hard to keep track of what is actually open in that area, though; there was College Dropouts, the Cantina, Mad Hatter, etc. Between Studio 5C and the building to its south, I have no idea what is currently leased.
3) Corner Bakery is opening in the Gateway building; I think that only leaves 1 space unoccupied.
4) 7th Street Mixed Use - posted by DevilsRider - is office, residential, and hotel w/ 444 residential units and 230 hotel rooms. Height is TBD, ugh; but, this has to be a high-rise with that # of apartments... I'm thinking 250' for the apartments and 150' for the hotel?
5) Just confirming AZSUNSURFER's post that the two SouthBank apartments are listed at 84' each... that's the same height as Hanover (6 stories) - which is really, really lame especially considering that their initial proposals were denied for lack of density. Yes, adding retail makes it more conducive to the General Plan, but if there's one place high-rise residential makes sense in Tempe, it's on the finite amount of lakefront property!
Yes Revo Pizza is open.

As far as Southbank, I agree, should at least be 10 stories. I'm not a high rise fiend, but SALT is really underwhelming, that project should have been at least 6 stories, anything below that is lame. Also, the building quality (wood frame) looks pathetic standing next to the concrete/steel/glass of Hayden Ferry and State Farm.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butta View Post
Yes Revo Pizza is open.

As far as Southbank, I agree, should at least be 10 stories. I'm not a high rise fiend, but SALT is really underwhelming, that project should have been at least 6 stories, anything below that is lame. Also, the building quality (wood frame) looks pathetic standing next to the concrete/steel/glass of Hayden Ferry and State Farm.
Completely agree. They should be building something similar to Domus (Arcadia) at least. When the lake is fully developed in 10 years, I think we'll look at SALT and wonder how it got approved at that site.

Last edited by ASUSunDevil; Apr 15, 2015 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 4:07 PM

Given that SALT is being built with woodframe construction and constructing an underground garage...the only positive is that eventually it could easily be demolished and re-developed down the road when land prices and demand increase & mature.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 4:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Completely agree. They should be building something similar to Domus (Arcadia) at least. When the lake is fully developed in 10 years, I think we'll look at SALT and wonder how it got approved at that site.
Have we posted renderings of SALT? I'm curious to see why it is so bad for the area. Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Have we posted renderings of SALT? I'm curious to see why it is so bad for the area. Thanks.
SALT renderings

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
It would actually be pretty cool if at least the section facing the lake was like 8 stories tall.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 9:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Thanks for posting. Very Miami, very retro in design. It's an attractive design, but a little stunted for it's place on the lake.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 4:31 AM
A City's where I'll die

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Thanks for posting. Very Miami, very retro in design. It's an attractive design, but a little stunted for it's place on the lake.
The thing is, the real thing will not look nearly as nice as the rendering, I'll be shocked if that happens

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 11:02 AM

SALT actually doesn't bother me because at least it's being built in the middle of a cluster of midrises and highrises. While I think a taller project would've been great next to Marina Heights, SALT is still a nice transition between HFL and MH, and it's almost like an infill site - I feel it would've been a tough parcel to sell once MH is complete. At least, with this and Marriott AC, HFL will be entirely built out which is pretty impressive.

But, over on the "coasts" of the lake, the lack of height is more frustrating. The Jefferson at Playa Del Norte, for example - it's the last parcel (or one of the last) on that corner of the lake so it would've been nice to have crammed as many residential units as possible into a decent-sized tower. And, aesthetically speaking, Having all 3 developments (Jefferson, Northshore and Grigio) all at the same height looks rather lame. A 12-14 story bookend would've looked much better and given the lake some balance.

And, two random 80' apartments at SouthBank will just look ridiculous IMO.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 7:33 PM

Tempe Regrouping After Failed $1B Town Lake Project

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I don't really understand what the problem is here....they are trying to move but don't want to move?
Wasn't familiar with USABB or the back story here even though I often follow their U19 men's team. I'm sure that Colangelo being the great promoter and apparently ASU was welcoming such that the package was too good to resist.

With the deal dead the best info I found for the current situation is HERE. I also noticed that Colangelo's tenure is about up. Not sure what that might mean if anything.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 10:23 PM

Went to downtown Tempe the other day and saw the retail space next to AMC theaters under construction and wondered what it was. Looks like a new brewery, Pedal Haus.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/enter...mmer/26097425/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest