Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

PENN 15 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
I always tell tourists to go to the Top of the Rock instead, but they probably ignore me. I think this would be a great spot for an observation deck.
if you tell 'em that from the Empire State Building you cant SEE the Empire State Building maybe they'll listen. It worked for me. I totally agree with you though

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
if you tell 'em that from the Empire State Building you cant SEE the Empire State Building maybe they'll listen. It worked for me. I totally agree with you though
-
I've actually mentioned that before! I think the GE building is better because it's right in the middle of midtown, and you can see more of the park + up the Hudson. If Penn Plaza had an observation deck at the very top, it would be higher than the ESB, so the views might be even better.

Anyhow, I'm not a huge fan of this design, but I don't dislike it.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 12:55 AM
testify

this building is indistinguishable from pelli's sf transbay terminal tower and, imo, it would be a horrible tragedy to demolish such a beautiful building as the hotel pennsylvania. already lost the amazing drake, there are just another half dozen or so left. hope vornado loses this one and takes a smaller adjacent lot for this one.

seriously, it's identical to the sf project.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
this building is indistinguishable from pelli's sf transbay terminal tower and, imo, it would be a horrible tragedy to demolish such a beautiful building as the hotel pennsylvania. already lost the amazing drake, there are just another half dozen or so left. hope vornado loses this one and takes a smaller adjacent lot for this one.

seriously, it's identical to the sf project.
does it really matter what its identical to? there 2 differnet cities on 2 different sides of the countries, i hope they tear down the hotel and build this, penn plaza is beautiful building

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 1:32 AM
New Yorker for life

LOL, if only the Hotel Penn were as "beautiful" as some people seem to think it is. The "similar design" argument is ridiculous.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
LOL, if only the Hotel Penn were as "beautiful" as some people seem to think it is. The "similar design" argument is ridiculous.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I really like the look and style of the outside of the Hotel Penn. Inside the rooms aren't great and need a makeover. I, for one, would hate to see the hotel demolished.

That being said, I do like the look of this proposed tower and believe for sure it would be a welcome addition to the skyline. Idealistically I'd like it built on a different site so that Hotel Penn can be preserved.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 3:14 AM

I'm not against building taller than the ESB on that same East/West axis, but this design would look better shorter and perhaps less fat IMO. I'm aware that tenants want large trading floors, but I'm just talking aesthetics.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 1:13 PM

Quote:
I'm not against building taller than the ESB on that same East/West axis, but this design would look better shorter and perhaps less fat IMO. I'm aware that tenants want large trading floors, but I'm just talking aesthetics.
The way to fix the proportions is to make it taller, not shorter and thinner.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I doubt it. Too close to the Empire State, though if Vornado wanted to get back at them for trying to block the tower, they would throw one up there. I don't think it would take business away from the ESB though. It's just too classic, and tourists love it.
The ESB's management has always been jealous of skyline competition. In the late 60's they went to great lengths to oppose the Twin Towers' construction. The irony is that the ESB itself was a "blatant intrusion" into the skyline supremacy of other nearby tall gems such as Chrysler and the Metropolitan Life Tower.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
The ESB's management has always been jealous of skyline competition. In the late 60's they went to great lengths to oppose the Twin Towers' construction. The irony is that the ESB itself was a "blatant intrusion" into the skyline supremacy of other nearby tall gems such as Chrysler and the Metropolitan Life Tower.
Exactly, that's why I never understood the opposition against having a taller tower than ESB nearby. It's going to happen eventually there is no question about that...and it wont change the fact that Chrysler and ESB are both and will always be legendary structures regardless of the height.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Exactly, that's why I never understood the opposition against having a taller tower than ESB nearby. It's going to happen eventually there is no question about that...and it wont change the fact that Chrysler and ESB are both and will always be legendary structures regardless of the height.
I agree. Even with Hudson Yards, ESB will have plenty of breathing room. I still think Penn Plaza could use a slight haircut though.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 8:27 PM

Quote:
I agree. Even with Hudson Yards, ESB will have plenty of breathing room. I still think Penn Plaza could use a slight haircut though.
Then it would be just another midtown highrise.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
Then it would be just another midtown highrise.
Not if it's 800+ feet.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Not if it's 800+ feet.
So it should be about 260 meters when the midtown plateau is about 230? Yeah, that would really stand out... Supertall or bust for this project.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 8:21 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
So it should be about 260 meters when the midtown plateau is about 230? Yeah, that would really stand out... Supertall or bust for this project.
Agreed, any shorter and this building wouldn't do much

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Even with Hudson Yards, ESB will have plenty of breathing room.
This would be a perfect opportunity to end that breathing room. 800+ will do nothing. 1000+ or 1200+ would be ideal.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stained View Post
This would be a perfect opportunity to end that breathing room. 800+ will do nothing. 1000+ or 1200+ would be ideal.
I think that the Hudson Yards towers and the Brookfield towers will block the Empire State Building to such an extent that complaining about 15 Penn blocking the view of the ESB too will seem pretty pointless.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 1:53 AM

Don't know why it has to "do" THAT much. Just my personal taste.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 3:11 AM

i understand this thing needs an anchor tenant to get going, but what are the chances of this actually getting built at all anymore?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 3:24 AM

It'll get built eventually, as it's across the street from the busiest train station in NA, as of right, and the review process for this was kinda brutal so no way the developer abandons it, but it's at least a number of years away. It just needs to charge higher rents than the WTC, and probably anything in the Hudson Yards, including Related's Hudson Yard development, Extell's One Hudson Yards, Sherwood's building, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals