HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 4:24 PM

Thunder bay

THUNDER BAY

The proposed 6 story, 90 room, hotel next to the Hampton Inn is finally starting construction. Crews are doing prep work right now for the foundations.

https://www.designworkseng.com/proje...es-thunder-bay

The Art Gallery should also be starting construction next year. There have been setbacks because of the pandemic and environmental contamination on the site, but it looks like those issues are now resolved for the most part. They've applied for another 'green building' grant program late this summer and should have news on whether that was awarded to them shortly.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 11:26 PM
Urban Fanactic

Five floor, 103 unit apartment to be built on the eastern edge of downtown Sault Ste. Marie.

Source: https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/...-hotel-5239219

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 10:48 PM
BANNED

https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/p...mins-1.5880786

Timmins will see Highway 101 rebuilt.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 3:50 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Wawa OSB (Oriented Strand Board) May Reopen

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 2:41 PM

Are the Costco Thunder Bay rumors correct?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 2:49 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankp View Post
Are the Costco Thunder Bay rumors correct?
https://www.costco.com/CategoryDispl...=http%3ALogoff
Probably no, sadly.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
But that site only goes out 6 months. Who knows how often they update it. We have known of the new store in London for several years now and they only officially added it to that site once actual work started on it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 2:56 PM

Anybody know what is going in at the old Napa at the corner of Balmoral and Harold?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2022, 9:27 PM

Haven't posted anything in forever but I have a few updates. Can't get photos to link up very well either which is frustrating:

- New strip mall at Arthur Street Marketplace is almost up. Lots of rumours surrounding the potential tenants but it's just nice to see some commercial intensification outside of Intercity.

- The weigh station on west-bound 11/17 east of the city has it's walls up. They have started paving the approaches but I don't believe they are going to really get too far on the paving before it gets too cold.

- The new multiplex at the end of East Avenue should be ready for occupancy in the early part of next year as its construction is flying along.

- New multiplex on Junot (across from the EMT station) should also be ready for occupancy in the new year.

- The twinning of 11/17 at Dorion is almost complete. The east bound lanes are almost complete while the west bound lanes have been open for a few months at this point. The big delay, now, seems to be paving as there are too many paving projects right now and not enough equipment.

- Taranis contracting has their signs up and are clearing the right-of-way on 11/17 between Hurkett and Coughlin road even though this twinning project hasn't really been announced yet.

- The complete right of way is almost 100% cleared for the twinning project between Pass Lake and Pearl. Real construction is expected to start over the winter but they are already hauling loads of stone and fill for the east-bound lanes at Pearl.

- The Dollarama in Intercity Mall is almost complete and should be opening soon. Rumour is that once they open Intercity then the Dollarama down the road at Walmart will be closing.

- Construction of the indoor lumber yard at Home Hardware on Memorial is almost complete.

- The debate about the expansion of Parkdale further into the William's Bog is about to start now that the discussion about the trunk sewer line has begun.

- Construction of the professional building on Golf Link Road is progressing. The neighbouring apartment complexes are expected to begin in the new year.

- Construction signs for the Motel 6 on Arthur have disappeared. I guess that project is dead in the water. There are 3 or 4 other hotels in the Golf Links Road area that seem to also be in development limbo.

- Renovations on the former Shoreline Motel are also progressing. Everything that was to be enclosed has been and new construction inside is well underway.

- The new retail buildings across from Intercity Mall on Fort William Road are also going up quickly. It is nice to see that infill happening and the dirt holes disappearing.

- The next phase of the reconstruction of Balmoral is almost complete. The final paving won't be completed until 2023.

- Construction of the new Art Gallery is hopefully starting in the spring/early summer of 2023. Science North's plans for their new centre will be made public in 2023. Construction of the new apartment complexes on Adelaide near to bend in Hodder are also rumoured to start next year but those may yet be NIMBY'd out of existence.

- There is a PIC scheduled for Wednesday November 2nd for the another piece of 11-17 twinning: the stretch from Dorion to Hurkett. With all the announced construction and associated projects it is entirely possible that the only piece not completed by 2031/2 will be the twinning between Pearl and Superior Shores Road.

- Riversedge is actively planning the re-development of deep water port in Red Rock. It will be industrial but may also contain provisions for cruise ship berthing.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2022, 9:40 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

@F. Lionel welcome back! I was wondering where you and @TBayON have been.
Good to hear about the progress on twinning.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 4:05 AM

Thanks for the T-Bay updates. I didn't make it there this Summer so it's nice to know what it happening from someone who lives there.

That's quite impressive in how fast the twinning of 11/17 is moving along. Also interesting about what's happening in Red Rock. I'm going to have to ask a friends who lives near there about it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 11:51 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
That's quite impressive in how fast the twinning of 11/17 is moving along.
All the more so now that Superior North as a provincial riding won’t be on the government side for the next while
Ps: just curious, is Lise Vaugeois (the current MPP) francophone?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 5:28 PM

Quote:
All the more so now that Superior North as a provincial riding won’t be on the government side for the next while
I think, at this point, the three current projects under construction will be finished as will the bridge project over the Black Sturgeon because they are so far along in construction and planning, as well as property acquisition. The Dorion-Hurkett project is anyone's guess. I think, as of right now, they stand a less-than-even chance of being started in the near term (5-10 years). Thunder Bay-Superior North hasn't been on the Government side provincially for some 5 years now but the twinning projects of Superior Shores/Dorion, Hurkett/Coughlin Road, and Pass Lake/Pearl have both been approved and are all under construction.

I am much more interested in what is going to happen to the west with the Shabaqua extension and Thunder Bay Expressway. Almost the entirety of this route running through the Thunder Bay-Atikokan riding held by the PCs, along with the issues of truck traffic on 102 (and the continuing weekly/daily accidents also in this riding). Given the previous study done on the TB Expressway twinning there might be a good chance that this might be low-hanging fruit to build some PC brand loyalty in their newly taken riding. Also since Kevin Holland (the member for Thunder Bay-Atikokan) is the former mayor of Conmee, through which part of the extension will pass, the optics of being successful for those constituents might also be positive for the current government.

I also wouldn't expect much of this to actually happen until late in the current government's mandate, depending on how the opposition shapes up.

I don't believe that Lise Vaugeois is francophone. I don't believe I ever heard her identify as such in any public place or forum.

Last edited by F. Lionel; Oct 31, 2022 at 5:45 PM. Reason: Answering the question.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 11:21 PM

"The Dollarama in Intercity Mall is almost complete and should be opening soon. Rumour is that once they open Intercity then the Dollarama down the road at Walmart will be closing."

Huh, if I had to make a wild guess I would have said the one by Crappy Tire across from Intercity would have been the one; a fair bit closer. Guessing it must then have to do with ownership of each store.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyraven8 View Post
"The Dollarama in Intercity Mall is almost complete and should be opening soon. Rumour is that once they open Intercity then the Dollarama down the road at Walmart will be closing."

Huh, if I had to make a wild guess I would have said the one by Crappy Tire across from Intercity would have been the one; a fair bit closer. Guessing it must then have to do with ownership of each store.
The reason for the rumour, I suspect, has to do with the size of the stores in each place. The Walmart location has very limited space and there has been no investment into updating the store with self-check out stations, among other things. If they do leave the Walmart lot that would leave 3 vacancies and, really, no one to move in.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 8:17 PM
BANNED

Northlander Update

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1...passenger-rail

"Ontario Taking Next Steps to Bring Back Northeastern Passenger Rail

The Ontario government is purchasing three new trainsets as part of its plan to bring back northeastern passenger rail service. The $139.5 million investment marks a significant milestone in reinstating service between Timmins and Toronto,

The new rail cars will be built by Siemens Mobility Limited and will meet the latest EPA Tier 4 emission standards, making them one of the most environmentally friendly diesel locomotives on the market. The fully accessible fleet will include built-in wheelchair lifts, mobility aid storage spaces, galley style food services and fully accessible washrooms.

The trainset interiors will also feature spacious seating and modern amenities, including Wi-Fi connectivity and passenger information systems with audio and visual announcements.

Once reinstated, northeastern passenger rail service will be offered from four to seven days a week, based on seasonal travel demands."

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 8:43 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Timmins pretty much has no rail tracks though.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 9:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Timmins pretty much has no rail tracks though.
https://goo.gl/maps/A12iWrVyEudSYN3Q6

That is where they plan to put a station. Tracks go to there and then end.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 2:47 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Latest Population estimates for July 1st, 2022 from statcan for the big 5 Northern Cites. Sudbury & North Bay are seeing some decent growth.

Greater Sudbury CMA
2021: 172,832 2022: 175,357

Thunder Bay CMA
2021: 125,070 2022: 125,334

Sault Ste Marie CA
2021: 80,324 2022: 81,158

North Bay CA
2021: 74,503 2022: 77,037

Timmins CA
2021: 42,427 2022: 42,675

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1710013501

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 4:06 AM

3.3% growth in North Bay in 1 year! That’s a full on boom town by northern standards!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario