HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 12:47 AM

I am NOT, under any stretch of the imagination, stating that there is not racism from white people towards people of different races and/or ethnic groups. I find it truly nauseating that we are still having these conversations in the 21st century.

My point was that in order to rid ourselves of these repulsive attitudes of yesteryear it must be done on a wholeistic fashion and not simply directed at one particular group. If we are to move forward as a non-discriminatory community the discussion must include all effected communities and not just a chosen few.

Racism/sexism/homophobia is destructive and hurtful regardless of whatever individual or group is being targeted.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeceZ View Post
Bingo. Racism in our culture is always portrayed as an evil white problem. This thread is a classic example of that. It's always about whites being racist. Always. When do we ever hear about FN, Asians, Blacks, Arabs, etc being racist towards other races, including whites? Apparently that isn't worthy of discussion, or is only briefly mentioned and then the convo quicky reverts back to how whites are inherently evil racist people. Apparently bashing white people is all the rage these days.

Having spent a lot of time in Northern Alberta, I can tell you how racist First Nations are towards whites. Extremely racist. I've been called a white pig, white devil, white trash, white piece of shit, white faggot (and I'm not gay), and on and on. And I've done nothing but mind my own business. I've even been followed down the street by several aboriginal people in Edmonton along 118 Ave being verbally threated with physical violence, and all I was doing was going for a run.

Sadly, I already know some people will excuse that behaviour and say we (white people) deserve it. But how can you excuse racism coming from anyone? If you were on the recieveing end, I guarantee you would be singing a different tune going forward.
Apparently you don't get how to scale impact.

Has racism from First Nations towards you substantially impacted your life? Can you say the same about institutional racism towards FNs?

Yes, you got treated shitty. No, you don't have it worse, on balance, than most First Nations. And no, that doesn't constitute a defence of their mistreatment of you.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 1:10 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Lots of sympathy or copy-cat or us-too protests going on in other countries, including Canada.

I don't wish for it to happen but if it does get ugly, I wonder if people will still apply the "you can't make an omelette without breaking any eggs" logic?

"Rioters trash downtown St. John's Newfoundland to protest police racism"

Of course, that hasn't actually happened yet - and is probably unlikely to happen at all.

This event has galvanized so many around the world to protest because racial profiling and police brutality is not an exclusively American phenomenon, and they have to deal with it too (even if the consequences are typically less deadly elsewhere). Any place with a significant black population probably has enough of a community who can relate to the experience of feeling threatened rather than protected by the police.

(the non-US protests have also all been peaceful so far)

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 1:13 AM
Astineux

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Of course, that hasn't actually happened yet - and is probably unlikely to happen at all.

This event has galvanized so many around the world to protest because racial profiling and police brutality is not an exclusively American phenomenon, and they have to deal with it too (even if the consequences are typically less deadly elsewhere). Any place with a significant black population probably has enough of a community who can relate to the experience of feeling threatened rather than protected by the police.

You should tune into a francophone news channel right about now.

Still a really nice group of people to spend Christmas dinner with, though.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 1:15 AM
Astineux

My wife on Montreal disturbance: why are they all arguing with cops in English and are all their signs in English?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

Less likelihood of white supremacist and anarchist provocateurs joining protests elsewhere.

There are nutters actively hoping to spark a race war in the US. And I don't think it's a stretch to think that their President is one of these fruitcakes hoping to benefit come election time from a projection of strength on cracking down on these "violent minorities".

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 1:21 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

I understand there was a large protest in Montreal today - which makes sense given that the city is ~10% black and has some history of poor relations with police.

I would be more surprised if say, the same thing were happening in Quebec City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
There are nutters actively hoping to spark a race war in the US. And I don't think it's a stretch to think that their President is one of these fruitcakes hoping to benefit come election time from a projection of strength on cracking down on these "violent minorities".

One of my concerns is what happens if and when one of those heavily-armed far-right militias (like those who occupied the Michigan legislature a couple weeks ago) decide to take matters into their own hands and get involved...

There's already been some troubling stuff like this: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...-i-35w-bridge/

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 1:45 AM

In a show of support for the Americans, a guitar store is looted downtown Montreal.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Rough stuff going on in Montréal.
Embarrassing how many thousands in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver just decided the burning need to jump on the protest bandwagon was more important than fighting a global pandemic.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 1:54 AM
recession proof

I watched a live youtube vlogger (Regg Inkagnedo) last night of the protest in Minneapolis: the organizers made the white people lead the charge against the cops however everyone fled moments after the first rubber bullets were fired. Most people were standing around filming everything on their phones, the previous night's live vlog people were taking their masks off and taking selfies next to burning buildings.

It takes a certain kind of idiot to get that close to guns and willing to post their faces all over social media.

Interesting how much this protest is about showing off car culture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFHxNuM3uGI

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 1:57 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
What are they saying?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 2:04 AM
Astineux

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
What are they saying?
Live coverage of *minor* rioting.

Minor for the moment anyway.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Live coverage of *minor* rioting.

Minor for the moment anyway.
Interesting how radio canada is focusing on the usa while tva is focused on the situation at home. At least thats whats being shown on the 10pm news.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 2:09 AM
Astineux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
Interesting how radio canada is focusing on the usa while tva is focused on the situation at home. At least thats whats being shown on the 10pm news.
Rad Can has been jumping back and forth. Guess they have more resources in the US.

Both networks have several crews around downtown Montreal right now.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Less likelihood of white supremacist and anarchist provocateurs joining protests elsewhere.

Yes and don’t underestimate what kind of potentially nefarious things are happening under a Trumpian CIA. Things we won’t fully know about for 20 years or more, if ever.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Yes and don’t underestimate what kind of potentially nefarious things are happening under a Trumpian CIA. Things we won’t fully know about for 20 years or more, if ever.
Don't need the CIA when Trump is on Twitter, quoting a Miami police chief who sparked a race riot. Trump is fully aware of who he's talking to. And they fully understand his instructions.

Should add too. There's reports (and video that I've seen) of cops targeting reporters (rubber bullets, pepper spray) after they've identified themselves as press, using rubber bullets on residents standing on their own front porch and covering up their badge numbers with black tape to reduce the possibility of positive identification in any submitted complaints. I would say a lot of what we're seeing has tacit approval of the President of the United States, and these police officers are acting as he expects them to.

Last edited by Truenorth00; Jun 1, 2020 at 2:41 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Embarrassing how many thousands in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver just decided the burning need to jump on the protest bandwagon was more important than fighting a global pandemic.
I'd say there's probably some overlap between the protesters and those who are now regularly and flagrantly breaking quarantine. I'm thinking of the Trinity Bellwoods jamboree in Toronto.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:03 AM
Astineux

Looks like disruptions have been quelled in Montreal.

TVA and RDI have moved away from live coverage on the streets.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Don't need the CIA when Trump is on Twitter, quoting a Miami police chief who sparked a race riot. Trump is fully aware of who he's talking to. And they fully understand his instructions.

Should add too. There's reports (and video that I've seen) of cops targeting reporters (rubber bullets, pepper spray) after they've identified themselves as press, using rubber bullets on residents standing on their own front porch and covering up their badge numbers with black tape to reduce the possibility of positive identification in any submitted complaints. I would say a lot of what we're seeing has tacit approval of the President of the United States, and these police officers are acting as he expects them to.
Are you saying that Trump is trying to spark a race riot and is okay with what happened to George Floyd?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 3:21 AM

People trying to draw some kind of equivalence re:racism vs "reverse racism" or classism, sexism or ageism, etc only ever do so to justify preserving inequality for selfish reasons. Complaining of "reverse racism" is as dumb as "straight pride", the kind of stupidity unique to men's rights incels with no grasp of power structures.

I don't throw around the word intersectionality, but any white person going "where's my privilege? I'm poor/fat/disabled/a woman, etc" seem to forget that blacks can be all of those things too thus have it even worse.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada