HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 12:18 AM

Is it a pandemic yet? Interesting that South America has just one case.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 12:23 AM

Coronavirus: When can we start using the P(andemic) word?

Bianca Bharti

Updated: February 28, 2020

The World Health Organization Friday updated the risk of COVID-19 to very high at a global level, among growing worries about — and preparations for — a global pandemic.

But despite more than 80,000 cases recorded and nearly 3,000 deaths in at least 50 countries, the World Health Organization still refrains from calling the outbreak a pandemic.

The virus “has pandemic potential,” WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Thursday, but added that this “is not a time for fear. This is a time for taking action to prevent infection and save lives now.”

With experts apparently non-committal for fear of causing even more alarm, at what point in the crisis might we start using the P word? How bad would things need to be?

COVID-19 has certainly become an epidemic in many parts of the world, said David Fisman, an infectious disease expert at the University of Toronto. An epidemic is the widespread occurrence of a disease — typically infectious in nature — in a specific geographical location within a short period of time, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Essential facts to know about the novel coronavirus

WHAT IS THE CORONAVIRUS?
Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that can cause illness in humans and animals. In humans, they can range from the common cold to the more dangerous Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

The current coronavirus, dubbed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization, is a novel coronavirus, meaning it has never been observed in humans before.

WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
The most common symptoms are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. In more serious cases, those infected can experience trouble breathing.

The time between catching the virus and beginning to experience symptoms can range from 1-14 days.

HOW DO YOU AVOID GETTING INFECTED?
Frequently wash your hands with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based hand wipe, avoid touching your face and keep distance from people showing symptoms.

WHAT HAS THE IMPACT OF THE VIRUS BEEN?
The virus, which originated December 2019 in Wuhan, China, has infected more than 80,000 people worldwide and has caused nearly 3,000 deaths

HOW DEADLY IS THE CORONAVIRUS?
The death rate for those infected with the virus is roughly two percent. Around 80 percent of people recover without special treatment and one in six people fall seriously ill. Older people with underlying health conditions are more susceptible to the virus.

HOW MANY IN CANADA ARE INFECTED?
Canada currently has 14 cases.

WHERE HAS THE VIRUS SPREAD?
Although most cases are in China, more than 50 countries in six continents have experienced at least one confirmed case of COVID-19.

Source: https://calgaryherald.com/news/world...box=1582933676

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 12:57 AM

It makes no difference if it's called a pandemic or not. Other than the level of hysteria.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 1:01 AM

People will believe what they want with this virus. Speaking with a friend, he expressed no concern whatsoever, I reminded him of his two recent bouts of pneumonia and that this virus attacks the lungs, a light then went on for him. Right from the get-go, people and media were making the comparison "Well, the last flu outbreak had killed such and such a number of people and Coronavirus has yet taken just a few lives!" ... what a shit stupid comparison, the virus is only getting its grip, it is without a vaccine, it can NOT be compared to a regular flu season that sees tens of millions (possibly hundreds of millions) worldwide who are vaccinated. Another peeve is that apparently you're well protected with your little bottle of hand sanitizer and wipes! I'm not downplaying the importance of that, but we're talking about a highly contagious disease, it just takes a person coughing or sneezing anywhere in the vicinity and you'll likely be breathing in the virus. That's where the appropriate mask is vital and so is eye protection. Sure am not looking forward to the virus taking hold here in Canada and being out shopping looking like an alien, though will do what I feel is necessary and don't give a shit of how I look, lol. I was hospitilized the last time I had gotten the flu and doctor stood shaking his finger at me, it's the flu shot for you from here on!

Last edited by TRtower; Feb 29, 2020 at 1:46 AM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 1:15 AM

It's times like these I'm glad I don't have to go into the office and can work from home instaed.

Only been into the office about 6 times in the last 4 years, and I haven't so much as caught a cold during that time. You get exposed to all sorts of crap when you're stuffed onto a GO train for the commute and when you're working in an open-concept office.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 1:27 AM
Shoehorn Freeway ca 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
It's times like these I'm glad I don't have to go into the office and can work from home instaed.

Only been into the office about 6 times in the last 4 years, and I haven't so much as caught a cold during that time. You get exposed to all sorts of crap when you're stuffed onto a GO train for the commute and when you're working in an open-concept office.
I’m getting more RAM in preparation of having to work from home for an extended period of time. My current RAM won’t allow me to do work from my own computer.

On va prolonger l'Autoroute 417 jusqu'à Renfrew à bientôt, tout en remplaçant l'intersection du Chemin Calabogie à un échangeur d'abord!

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 2:07 AM
Shoehorn Freeway ca 2017

Something just occurs to me.
St Patrick’s Day Celebration is a big thing in Waterloo, especially near Ezra (near Laurier U). With the onset of coronavirus, will it be cancelled this year?

On va prolonger l'Autoroute 417 jusqu'à Renfrew à bientôt, tout en remplaçant l'intersection du Chemin Calabogie à un échangeur d'abord!

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 2:25 AM

Right now the hysteria is outpacing the virus by a factor of 100.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
How so? Medical supplies are exempt.
If you were barista with 3 degrees in collaborative dance you'd understand. If America doesn't engage in capitalistic relationships with a country(aka sanctions) virtually all of the problems that occur in the country are 100 percent the fault of America.

Even if that country has a 30-50 year history of ignoring every reasonable recommendation made to them it is still the fault of America.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
I cite how fast it spread in the South Korean Shincheonji church and Islamic nations as evidence of this but yes its not proof.

It seems like it spread much faster in areas where older people are put together for longer periods of time like churches or cruise ships. Perhaps it has avoided schools because youth are able to fight it off quickly. It could be that it has spread fast among schools but because it resembles the flu and many do not display symptoms no one has noticed.

PS: Thought this was hillarious

https://god.dailydot.com/corona-beer...vhsBScFcg0kJ1Y
Uh...
98% of cases are in China, a country where religion is punishable by vivisection.
Please note that, unless explicitly stated, the above post is not meant to be a slight against your favourite city. If you are about to quote my post and respond with indignation, please take a moment to consider what my post literally says rather than any subliminal meaning you may have attached to it.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Right now the hysteria is outpacing the virus by a factor of 100.
It's called exponential growth.

It isn't if it is capable of burning down an entire forest it is whether or not we can stop the spread.

As it stands Corona virus will kill something like 200 million people if we just gave up on hand washing/borders.

Obviously border control and hand washing are keeping from happening but that really is our only defense.

Last edited by LakeLocker; Feb 29, 2020 at 2:56 AM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRtower View Post
People will believe what they want with this virus. Speaking with a friend, he expressed no concern whatsoever, I reminded him of his two recent bouts of pneumonia and that this virus attacks the lungs, a light then went on for him. Right from the get-go, people and media were making the comparison "Well, the last flu outbreak had killed such and such a number of people and Coronavirus has yet taken just a few lives!" ... what a shit stupid comparison, the virus is only getting its grip, it is without a vaccine, it can NOT be compared to a regular flu season that sees tens of millions (possibly hundreds of millions) worldwide who are vaccinated. Another peeve is that apparently you're well protected with your little bottle of hand sanitizer and wipes! I'm not downplaying the importance of that, but we're talking about a highly contagious disease, it just takes a person coughing or sneezing anywhere in the vicinity and you'll likely be breathing in the virus. That's where the appropriate mask is vital and so is eye protection. Sure am not looking forward to the virus taking hold here in Canada and being out shopping looking like an alien, though will do what I feel is necessary and don't give a shit of how I look, lol. I was hospitilized the last time I had gotten the flu and doctor stood shaking his finger at me, it's the flu shot for you from here on!
Agreed a month ago I'd have been polite about.

At this point you really are intellectually underachieving if you think this isn't the worst thing to have happened since ww2.

The stock market dropped 11 percent in a week.

Why?

It's not like the virus all of sudden mutated and got worst.

People are slow to figure out the obvious.

The interruption to the global economy will be 10 to 20 times worst than the virus itself.

At some point we're either gonna have to shut everything down or let a 100 million people die.

I think it is far more likely that we'll not see the end of the NHL season.

It is far more likely that the school systems will shut down, airports, malls, etc etc will all have to take a few months off.

I'd like to hope I'm wrong, but the more people treat this just like a random condition that will only affect the old we're screwed.

I honestly think the stock market correction was a direct result of China part suppliers informing their clients downstream that things will not be up and running for quite some time.

The level of denial with this event is astronomical.

It isn't we're all gonna die or we'll be fine.

It's like when your kid gets the flu.

You call your boss and let him know you won't be coming in.

This is fine when it is just one person but when its 7 billion we're screwed.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:06 AM
recession proof

The stock market was due for a large correction. Corrections are normal and healthy.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:21 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Uh...
98% of cases are in China, a country where religion is punishable by vivisection.
Comments like this aren't helpful. Religion is controlled in China, yes, but not illegal. There are plenty of Buddhists, Muslims, and Christians in China.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:48 AM

Ultimately, I think our response to the virus will do a lot more damage than the virus itself.

Governments and health agencies are trying to aggressively stamp this out of fear that it may establish itself as an endemic illness, but the response has so far caused far more damage than the virus itself. Millions of people quarantined and excluded from the work force, trillions of dollars lost in the marketplace due to economic disruption (and fear) all over a virus that is only as contagious as it is because of how mild it is.

I have a trip upcoming that I'll probably cancel - not because of fear of contracting the virus, but because I don't want to end up having to put myself under quarantine for two weeks. I can't afford that.
Please note that, unless explicitly stated, the above post is not meant to be a slight against your favourite city. If you are about to quote my post and respond with indignation, please take a moment to consider what my post literally says rather than any subliminal meaning you may have attached to it.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Comments like this aren't helpful. Religion is controlled in China, yes, but not illegal. There are plenty of Buddhists, Muslims, and Christians in China.
Are we even pretending anymore?

They have active reeducation camps as we speak.

They have endless amounts of policies that are incredibly surpressive towards Tibetants.

The CCP actively engages in migrant Han chinese to minority regions to keep control.

Your attitudes as far as I'm concerned border on Holocaust denial.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
I (maybe?) was hyperbolic, but the point of my rebuttal still stands.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Governments and health agencies are trying to aggressively stamp this out of fear that it may establish itself as an endemic illness, but their response has so far caused far more damage than the virus itself.
It's not a fear it is a fact.

Quote:
Millions of people quarantined and excluded from the work force, trillions of dollars lost in the marketplace due to economic disruption (and fear) all over a virus that is only as contagious as it is because of how mild it is.
You seem to be confusing the affects of the virus with a head cold.

You also seem to be assuming that the people that don't die are all magically fine as long as they don't die.

It isn't just killing people it is causing permanent damage to the bodies of the survivors.

I get that modern people are unaware of how permanent damage is done from a virus but it is as big as of a concern as all the deaths.

We're not all gonna die, but it is very likely to be the worst thing that has happened to the west since WW2.

The damage that is will be done will be complex but it is still a very real thing.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 4:00 AM

Quote:
I (maybe?) was hyperbolic, but the point of my rebuttal still stands.
The guy lives in China, in a time period where their economic and political forecast have never been worst.

You might as well be trying to argue with a german in 1934.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
The stock market was due for a large correction. Corrections are normal and healthy.
I don't disagree on some level. But I think the timing is awful.

We're gonna see a series of bubbles collapsing at the same time.

An American Election, Brexit, Hong Kong protestors(bet you forgot about that) all tied directly tied into some serious issues relating to international trade and business.

If it wasn't coming at us in all directions I wouldn't be so worried, but its the combination of all things happening at once.

There's no safe space for money to flow into.

I do expect this to be a net good. It will hopefully cripple the Irainian, Chinese, and Saudi governments.

But it will be very bad for a few years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada