HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 4:25 PM

From the Global Sea Level Graph, from my rough take off, between 1880 to 2010, the sea level rose 200 mm, which equates to 1.5 mm per year.

Per the link below from Smithsonian, over the past 20,000 years the sea level rose 120,000 mm, which equates to 6 mm per year on average.

https://ocean.si.edu/through-time/an...of%20mountains.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 5:23 PM

From that link provided, under the Additional Resources section there are cool links to the NASA Images of Change and NASA Climate Time Machine which shows the impact of climate Change over the past few decades... cool visual of the already known impacts.

Actually a lot of great info in there. For me one that stood out was that Thermal Expansion of the oceans in that obviously water expands as it heats up, while on a minuscule level it really is not detectable, but when we're talking about the size of the ocean, even from a few degs change, the thermal expansion has a significant impact... anyway, cool info to learn about

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Actually a lot of great info in there. For me one that stood out was that Thermal Expansion of the oceans in that obviously water expands as it heats up, while on a minuscule level it really is not detectable, but when we're talking about the size of the ocean, even from a few degs change, the thermal expansion has a significant impact... anyway, cool info to learn about
Yes, it's huge. That is what contributes to sea level rise, not melting ice caps.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Yes, it's huge. That is what contributes to sea level rise, not melting ice caps.
I need to read up on this more, but I'll ask the question anyway, and may seem very elementary, so forgive me... does anyone know to what depth the change in sea level temperature reaches to a point where there is no noticable difference. I mean, 4 deg C change in thermal expansion within 50 mm of ocean surface will be significantly more than at 1,000 mm or 10,000 mm.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 6:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

In addition to thermal expansion there is thermal absorption, which is much more threatening as it is compounded.

As sea ice melts in the summer, it exposes the dark ocean surface. Instead of reflecting 80 percent of the sunlight, the ocean absorbs 90 percent of the sunlight*. More melt, more absorption, thus more melt, more absorption....a vicious cycle (aka, positive feedback loop). Also with permafrost melting, more methane trapped in the permafrost is released, which in turn raises temperature, thus melting more permafrost....

*https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/quickfacts/seaice.html

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 1:07 AM

Apocalypse Never

Apocalypse Never - An environmentalists comes clean, writes mea culpa new book!

On behalf of environmentalists everywhere, I would like to formally apologize for the climate scare we created over the last 30 years. Climate change is happening. It’s just not the end of the world. It’s not even our most serious environmental problem. 

I may seem like a strange person to be saying all of this.I have been a climate activist for 20 years and an environmentalist for 30. 
But as an energy expert asked by Congress to provide objective expert testimony, and invited by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to serve as Expert Reviewer of its next Assessment Report, I feel an obligation to apologize for how badly we environmentalists have misled the public.

Here are some facts few people know:
* Humans are not causing a “sixth mass extinction” 
* The Amazon is not “the lungs of the world”
* Climate change is not making natural disasters worse
* Fires have declined 25% around the world since 2003
* The amount of land we use for meat — humankind’s biggest use of land — has declined by an area nearly as large as Alaska
* The build-up of wood fuel and more houses near forests, not climate change, explain why there are more, and more dangerous, fires in Australia and California
* Carbon emissions are declining in most rich nations and have been declining in Britain, Germany, and France since the mid-1970s 
* Netherlands became rich not poor while adapting to life below sea level
* We produce 25% more food than we need and food surpluses will continue to rise as the world gets hotter
* Habitat loss and the direct killing of wild animals are bigger threats to species than climate change
* Wood fuel is far worse for people and wildlife than fossil fuels
* Preventing future pandemics requires more not less “industrial” agriculture
I know that the above facts will sound like “climate denialism” to many people. But that just shows the power of climate alarmism. 

In reality, the above facts come from the best-available scientific studies, including those conducted by or accepted by the IPCC, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and other leading scientific bodies. .......

Why were we all so misled? Environmental groups have accepted hundreds of millions of dollars from fossil fuel interests. Groups motivated by anti-humanist beliefs forced the World Bank to stop trying to end poverty and instead make poverty “sustainable.” And status anxiety, depression, and hostility to modern civilization are behind much of the alarmism. Once you realize just how badly misinformed we have been, often by people with plainly unsavory or unhealthy motivations, it is hard not to feel duped. 

http://environmentalprogress.org/big...-climate-scare

“We don’t want to “save the planet” from human beings; we want to improve the planet for human beings.” ― Alex J. Epstein, The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada