HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 12:58 PM

That Yonge proposal is something else. Beautiful restoration of the ground level façade. Here's what it looks like today:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6799...7i16384!8i8192

This is a good use of façadism.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
That Yonge Street proposal is absolutely gorgeous!
The rendering sets the bar really, really high... I hope the finished product will measure up to it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 4:04 PM

No renderings yet, but another big tower for Hamilton. 75 James Street South, close to Hamilton GO station. 30 storeys, 100m tall.

Graziani+Corozza design, so it's pretty crappy. It at least has a sort of unique stepping massing.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 4:30 PM

The massing is interesting. It has the potential to be pretty nice.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 4:58 PM
recession proof

Yawn.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 6:40 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The massing is interesting. It has the potential to be pretty nice.

It's G+C, so it doesn't. 99% chance it turns out as just a bigger, bulkier version of this: https://goo.gl/maps/YfY78mnuAdzRPqw89

Poor Hamilton.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 7:20 PM

I like the massing, but they can't all be nice, unfortunately. Right now, what Hamilton needs most is density to help reach critical mass, and this fits the bill. Another parking lot getting filled in is another victory for Hamilton.

I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 7:24 PM
Haru Urara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
I like the massing, but they can't all be nice, unfortunately. Right now, what Hamilton needs most is density to help reach critical mass, and this fits the bill. Another parking lot getting filled in is another victory for Hamilton.
Agree with this. Any time I end up at Hamilton GO i'm always a bit surprised at how much surface parking there still is.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 8:08 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post

I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

What Hamilton really needs are more well designed mid-rises. That would do a lot more to repair the urban fabric - and do it a lot faster than through high-rises. At this rate it'll take a few decades to fill in all of the downtown surface parking lots.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 9:19 PM
Look at me!

Exactly. This is wha cities like Winnipeg, and Hamilton, and Saskatoon et al. really need to fill up their seas of parking lots quickly whilst adding a real sense of urbanity. Small and mid rise buildings.

In too many cases tall buildings set on giant podiums take too long to build, are too expensive to accomodate small(er) shops and residences and often don't really add any vibrancy to the street level.

A good example is Montreal. It's got one of the busiest downtowns on the continent, and the bulk of it is made up of midrises.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 10:04 PM

At least this new Hamilton building is downtown!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 11:16 PM

Hamilton’s 30 storey height limit is a bit limiting, but it will do an ok job of spreading density around a bit. Otherwise I think a lot of these 30 storey proposals would be closer to the mid 40’s and we wouldn’t be seeing as many.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 9:35 PM
I am the law!

30 storeys is a good height and one that is usually accompanied by a large parking podium in Hamilton. I agree. Ideally, Hamilton would be better served with smaller, human scaled projects sold directly to homeowners than investors.

This one is just awkward and that is before G+C has ordered the spandrel window wall.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 8:35 PM

World's tallest Passive House green building approved for Vancouver
Kenneth Chan, June 30 2020, 4:10 pm

"A 586-ft-tall, 60-storey, mixed-use residential tower in downtown Vancouver’s West End will become the fourth tallest building in the city, and the tallest Passive House green building in the world.

In a public hearing Tuesday, Vancouver City Council approved the rezoning application by Henson Developments and designed by UK-based WKK Architects for 1059-1075 Nelson Avenue."

Artistic rendering of 1059-1075 Nelson Street, Vancouver. (WKK Architects/IBI Group/Henson Developments
Source: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/1059...oning-approved

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 8:54 PM
Community Guy

Interesting little cluster they have going there now.

Function over form.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 7:38 PM
Community Guy

Out of nowhere comes this!

Reference ID: Job No 365069283-002
Description: To demolish a portion of an existing parking structure and to construct a Multi-unit Housing building (330 Dwellings; 108m Height) with main floor General Retail Store Use.
Plan 3136KS Blk 3 Lot 70
Applicant: J+S ARCHITECT
Create Date: 6/15/2020 6:18:41 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:22 PM
I am the law!

Estelle Barone should sue the developer. Great looking tower either way.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:27 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Re: 1140 Yonge Street
Definitely my favorite proposal of the year now! And no doubt, it suits the neighborhood so much more than the anonymous Scrivener Square proposal.
It's not bad. I don't agree with an ode to 100 years ago fits better in any Toronto neighbourhood than a contemporary design. I get your adoration for classical architecture but, it should come at the expense of contemporary design. Scrivenor Square is easily as good as this.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It's not bad. I don't agree with an ode to 100 years ago fits better in any Toronto neighbourhood than a contemporary design. I get your adoration for classical architecture but, it should come at the expense of contemporary design. Scrivenor Square is easily as good as this.
I think it will almost entirely depend on execution. Im a bit of a contrarian in that I think good contemporary design requires just as high an attention to detail and in some cases, higher quality materials than classical design.

While I like its attempt to create a somewhat intimate courtyard space, I think I would prefer Scrivenor Square without the staggered mullions. It feels like a contrived gimmick on this proposal, whereas it fits the design of the West Donalds Block 8 podium much better.

The rich orange brown color of the podium looks promising at first but I fear the developers will opt for the cheapest generic aluminium doors on the retail sections with the C-Ring handles.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 6:26 PM
I am the law!

I'm in same corner that something that looks simple isn't necessarily easier to do as the smallest of details are noticeable Neither of these proposals are simple. Scrivenor Square has better massing. This one is squat despite some aggressive stepbacks. I appreciate the elements that tie everything together however, it also flirts with being overwrought and, modern finishes won't help make it feel any less tacky. It desperately needs about 6 more floors of midway filler. (i.e. another layer... right now the base and the top don't jive in complexity) Scrivenor Square's style is more conducive of the neighbourhood's vernacular. It will blend in along with all its shortcomings. This will stand out with all its warts despite Rosedale being home to levels of historicism.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada