HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
According to Wikipedia, it was Al Palladini (M.T.O. under Mike Harris) who outsourced winter maintenance of provincial highways...
Sooner or later this had to be Mike Harris fault.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 7:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

well mr six toes did usher in the Nonsense revolution.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I will say this about my experience with Quebec highways - back in 2015 I drove from Toronto to Montreal during a winter storm, where there was freezing rain from about Gananoque to almost Montreal, and then snow on the island. The 401 was extremely treacherous and slippery, and it was so bad I ended up driving part of the way on a parallel county road that was in better shape. I got back on the 401 before Cornwall, but when I crossed the boundary into Quebec, the highway suddenly turned from slippery to clear, despite freezing rain and snow getting heavier. The drive on A-20 was a nice break. Despite the storm in the Montreal area, area highways including A-20, A-40 and others were kept very well.

Although this is an anecdotal experience and I know there have been some notable blunders around snow removal in Quebec, this was back at a time when Ontario had outsourced highway winter maintenance and there were some major problems on the 401 and 416 in Eastern Ontario, and there had been several major pileups along various stretches of the 401 between Belleville and Cornwall. I don’t know what the situation has been since the 2018 election but I know that was a major issue in Eastern Ontario during the Wynne years.
As you say, this is anecdotal. Someone has to drive on the shitty roads prior to them being cleaned. Snowfall isn't something you can get ahead of, it needs to fall before it can be cleared. Perhaps the Ontario plows were 5 miles behind you, and the guy driving 10 miles behind you is saying "this is awesome, they really know how to clear the snow here". And then you lucked into hitting Quebec shortly after they cleaned the roads, but guaranteed there was somebody a half hour earlier bitching about how shitty the roads were.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada