HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 2:56 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

I know we had this discussion about the Kicking Horse Phase 4 schedule a while ago - must have been in the BC section.
The fall 2020 start has been the plan for at least a year now.

Here is a good link:
http://https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/kicking-horse-canyon-project/kicking-horse-canyon-phase-4/kicking-horse-canyon-project-overview

When they are done in 2024 it will have taken 21 years to twin 26kms of the TCH. At this rate I’ll have to live to be about 300 years old to see the national highway fully twinned through BC. And still no interchange in Golden (or Field or Salmon Arm West, or ...).

I am excited about Kicking Horse Phase 4 though - going to be cool to see.

Last edited by craner; Jun 2, 2020 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:12 PM
Shoehorn Freeway ca 2017

For anyone that's interested about Quebec's Autoroute 85 construction, I've finally found the map of the current and proposed route.
From Rivière-du-Loup to Saint-Honoré-de-Témiscouata:
https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr...85-Carte-1.pdf

From Saint-Honoré-de-Témiscouata to Saint-Louis-du-Ha!-Ha!:
https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr...85-Carte-2.pdf

On va prolonger l'Autoroute 417 jusqu'à Renfrew à bientôt, tout en remplaçant l'intersection du Chemin Calabogie à un échangeur d'abord!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
I got the impression from the Calgary Herald article from last fall that closures would start this spring, but re-reading the article it mentioned that construction would begin this year and closures would be permitted Apr 1-May 15 and Sept 15-Nov 30; nothing specifically saying that it would be closed sometime between April 1-May 15, 2020.
This doesn't mean they couldn't be working around the road when it's open, though. That's why I'm surprised they aren't starting in the summer. They can make detours for the road to keep it open and get some work done. Those closure dates are very short in construction terms so there's no way to get it all done in those short times.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:27 PM
Shoehorn Freeway ca 2017

Making detours for KHC Phase 4? Can cars (especially trucks) go down the cliff into the river below and climb back up safely??
Or do you mean closing 1 lane and alternate traffic?

On va prolonger l'Autoroute 417 jusqu'à Renfrew à bientôt, tout en remplaçant l'intersection du Chemin Calabogie à un échangeur d'abord!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Making detours for KHC Phase 4? Can cars (especially trucks) go down the cliff into the river below and climb back up safely??
Or do you mean closing 1 lane and alternate traffic?
If you drove through the canyon during the Park bridge phase, you'll have a pretty good idea of how they can move the road around. Narrowing the road, shuffling it over where there's room, and intermittent lane closures for short duration. They even pulled those off in areas where the hillside was literally falling apart from the construction.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:45 PM

On a related note - I do have a lot of memories of sitting on the hood of my car while waiting for blasting, approaching what is now the truck stop at the top of the Park Bridge hill. They would close the highway for 30 minutes to an hour and traffic backed up a ton from that. When you were sitting on the old hill climb, you really saw just how old that stretch was and I always impressed how these old timber walls held up the road for so long.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
If you drove through the canyon during the Park bridge phase, you'll have a pretty good idea of how they can move the road around. Narrowing the road, shuffling it over where there's room, and intermittent lane closures for short duration. They even pulled those off in areas where the hillside was literally falling apart from the construction.
Might be a bit tricky in Phase 4. The Park Bridge was an outright realignment (the highway rejoins the old alignment at the rest stop). Phase 4 is mostly be an expansion of the existing alignment with some new bridges and rock cuts; no major realignments. I think there will still be construction work, but outright closures are only permitted spring/fall.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
Might be a bit tricky in Phase 4. The Park Bridge was an outright realignment (the highway rejoins the old alignment at the rest stop). Phase 4 is mostly be an expansion of the existing alignment with some new bridges and rock cuts; no major realignments. I think there will still be construction work, but outright closures are only permitted spring/fall.
Depending on the blasting work that is required, I think there will be minimal closures as well. With the original tunneled approach there would have been more closures.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 8:08 AM

Last edited by flipper316; Jun 18, 2020 at 8:19 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 7:31 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Thanks for posting those flipper.

Effin’ at-grade intersections for left-hand turns.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 7:56 PM
Shoehorn Freeway ca 2017

Yea have fun dealing with B.C.M.I.T. I'm done with B.C. highways, and I'm better off mapping out the freeway routes in Ontario where M.T.O. has done no planning whatsoever.
For example, between Kenora and Willard Lake, in the middle of Lake of the Woods:
https://imgur.com/a/fiPkEF4
Then from Willard Lake to Vermillion Bay:
https://imgur.com/a/WxFjzuE
I was actually pretty surprised that I ended up tackling the most challenging section west of T Bay first.

Legends:
Red colour = proposed 4-lane divided freeway
Black colour = emergency detour route (EDR)

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Yea have fun dealing with B.C.M.I.T. I'm done with B.C. highways, and I'm better off mapping out the freeway routes in Ontario where M.T.O. has done no planning whatsoever.
For example, between Kenora and Willard Lake, in the middle of Lake of the Woods:
https://imgur.com/a/fiPkEF4
Then from Willard Lake to Vermillion Bay:
https://imgur.com/a/WxFjzuE
I was actually pretty surprised that I ended up tackling the most challenging section west of T Bay first.

Legends:
Red colour = proposed 4-lane divided freeway
Black colour = emergency detour route (EDR)
Just charge the MTO a consult fee when they actually start planning.

"Look! I already did the work for you guys!"

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 1:28 AM
Editor

It's one thing to draw the lines, it's another to know what's underneath those lines. Building highways up here isn't the easiest task.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 2:20 AM
Shoehorn Freeway ca 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It's one thing to draw the lines, it's another to know what's underneath those lines. Building highways up here isn't the easiest task.
@swimmer_spe and I have had extensive talks about that when I used to try to “plan” the route for NEO. Then I was like, “Forget it, I’m gonna work with T Bay and points west first. It looks like I only have to worry about granites and muskegs.” (In NEO, I also have to watch out for fault lines and craters and on top of them, numerous settlements...)

I do admit it’s more or less a shot in the dark right now though. Lol, if you read check the Manitoba Highway thread, you’ll find out that I was trying to recruit help. Then again swimmer_spe said that route planning (by me) in NEO (other than those already finalized by M.T.O.) is a shot in the dark too.

Maybe one of the proposed routes is feasible, which will be great. Maybe none of them works. I showed that drawing in Google terrain map so it’s easier for locals like you(?) to identify potential issues right away.

By the way, do you remember how the alignment for Shabaqua - T Bay freeway goes? I can guess the part between Twin City and a bit south of Sistonens Corners, but after that, I can’t.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:44 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...t-bc-1.5505159

CBC comment sections are usually pretty toxic but this article is an exception. Several people in agreement that this highway sucks. Just like us on here.

Edit

Now its closed east of Revelstoke as well . https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/304...hursday#304276

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...t-bc-1.5505159

CBC comment sections are usually pretty toxic but this article is an exception. Several people in agreement that this highway sucks. Just like us on here.

Edit

Now its closed east of Revelstoke as well . https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/304...hursday#304276
I was affected by that, although I came through today after the section east of Revelstoke re-opened. Still, it took me 3 hours to get from Golden to Revelstoke.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 2:12 AM

Quote:
At least now I know that I don’t have to decide my routes in Medicine Hat until Fall for my hypothetical crosscountry trip.
Actually, where’s mannysantos? This will be useful information for him!
Funny, I never checked out this thread until today. How did I miss this??!

Medicine Hat badly needs a bypass. And I think the Perimeter Highway in Winnipeg leaves a lot to be desired.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada