HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:55 PM
MacDoggie MacDoggie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1
[Halifax] 5426 Portland Place | ? m | 6 fl | U/C

Anyone know what is happening here, behind Marque/Seahorse. Digging a deep hole.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 12:24 AM
mleblanc mleblanc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDoggie View Post
Anyone know what is happening here, behind Marque/Seahorse. Digging a deep hole.
6 Storeys as of right revelopment. Jonovision had linked blurry pictures from Waye's instagram in the general thread. They are pretty bad:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi2uQ_-HGYU/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi2q6HxHh3R/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 2:58 PM
Northend Guy Northend Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 214
This is being built by the same developer who did The Luxor buildings out on Larry Uteck & the building on Kaye St./Young St. that houses the Starbucks & the new building at Almon/Isleville.

This one is mostly bachelor & one bedroom apts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 10:42 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,808
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 5:49 PM
DT Hfx DT Hfx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 129
A lot of progress on the excavation without blasting.
5426 Portland Place 2018-8-24 by DwN~toWN Halifax, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 9:59 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,808
A crane went up over the holidays.

20190106_095105 by Jonovision23, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 11:44 AM
davebrushett davebrushett is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1

Last edited by davebrushett; Feb 25, 2019 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Picture didn’t show up
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 9:44 PM
davedavedave123 davedavedave123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:34 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24,171
There's a property listing here with some information: https://www.partnersglobal.com/prope...th-end-halifax

They mention commercial space on "every level", which I guess means that each ground floor moving up the hill will have some storefronts? Or does this mean that even the upper floors are mixed?

Rendering:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:25 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 8,253
^Its commercial for 50' back from Portland Place on every level due to a weird bylaw that applies to Brunswick Street heritage district.

Case 21850 - 5426 Portland Place
__________________
Halifax Developments Blog

- DJ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 2:37 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
^Its commercial for 50' back from Portland Place on every level due to a weird bylaw that applies to Brunswick Street heritage district.
That makes sense, thanks.

The latest rendering looks a bit better than I thought the building would. I figured it would be similar to a Clayton Park concrete building but with less setback. But the ground level isn't too bad and it looks like there will be some decorative balconies and siding (material unclear).

Michael Napier Architecture is behind this one. I expect it will be similar to Q Lofts or Harris East.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 9:10 AM
ILoveHalifax ILoveHalifax is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL
Posts: 1,018
If this is being built by the guy who built The Luxor on Larry Utect I suspect it will be quite nice. He takes a lot of pride in his buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 10:45 AM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That makes sense, thanks.

The explanation makes sense. The bylaw itself, not so much because, HRM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:41 PM
Northend Guy Northend Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
^Its commercial for 50' back from Portland Place on every level due to a weird bylaw that applies to Brunswick Street heritage district.

Case 21850 - 5426 Portland Place
My understanding is that Schedule HA-1 no longer applies for this site. There is commercial on one level only.

Indeed it is the same developer as Luxor. I suspect it will not be unattractive when complete.

This building is primarily bachelor & one bedroom units.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 9:22 PM
mleblanc mleblanc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
My understanding is that Schedule HA-1 no longer applies for this site. There is commercial on one level only.

Indeed it is the same developer as Luxor. I suspect it will not be unattractive when complete.

This building is primarily bachelor & one bedroom units.
If you look at the website posted above from the developer, it is actually commerical on every floor straight up to the top! I'm sure it'll be a mix of office and retail on the Portland street side.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 11:18 PM
TheNovaScotian's Avatar
TheNovaScotian TheNovaScotian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 194
We should expect better

This is another example of the low standards we've developed here. This is a giant missed opportunity to add density and start to tackle the affordability crisis here in Halifax. Instead we get a very basic attempt at what a building can look and function like in a urban setting. The metal paneling really holds up over time, all the PMQ's still look great 50 years later.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 5:16 PM
atbw atbw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
This is another example of the low standards we've developed here. This is a giant missed opportunity to add density and start to tackle the affordability crisis here in Halifax. Instead we get a very basic attempt at what a building can look and function like in a urban setting. The metal paneling really holds up over time, all the PMQ's still look great 50 years later.
The design on this one really surprised me, especially with it being right next to the brickyard townhouses. Huge missed opportunity to integrate it into the neighbourhood. Judging from the render it looks like it has a forgettable facade and then a monotony of glass behind it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 5:59 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 24,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
The design on this one really surprised me, especially with it being right next to the brickyard townhouses. Huge missed opportunity to integrate it into the neighbourhood. Judging from the render it looks like it has a forgettable facade and then a monotony of glass behind it.
"Integration" attempts in Halifax have a pretty bad track record and don't seem to be any better than modern style buildings on average.

The Waterford was okay, and so were the small faux buildings around the base of Vic Suites (but most of Vic suites is modern and actually not too different from the Portland Pl building). Around Portland Place, the small newer brick building that went up looks pretty good while the Brickyard townhouses for the most part look like cheap knock-offs of the historic buildings nearby. When you see the old and new brick townhouses nearby one looks like a skilled work of masonry and one looks like a Lego version.

I think it's more accurate to say that there are high and low quality buildings. The high quality ones tend to look good whether they have modern or historical designs. They have more elegant designs and tend to use higher quality materials like stone or nicer glass curtain wall, and are more customized. The low end buildings seem to use more generic brick and precast blocks or siding.

I'm not sure we can expect all buildings in the North End to be high-end buildings right now, although maybe that will change in the future. I think it's better to just encourage a lot of development (as long as few old buildings are lost) to drive up land values and make the area attractive rather than hold out for expensive buildings, but the city probably could push a bit more for better designs. This is going to happen as the Centre Plan comes into effect.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:39 AM
atbw atbw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The Waterford was okay, and so were the small faux buildings around the base of Vic Suites (but most of Vic suites is modern and actually not too different from the Portland Pl building). Around Portland Place, the small newer brick building that went up looks pretty good while the Brickyard townhouses for the most part look like cheap knock-offs of the historic buildings nearby. When you see the old and new brick townhouses nearby one looks like a skilled work of masonry and one looks like a Lego version.
This is a lot more nuanced than what I was getting at and I do agree. I think maybe my issue is more the form and scale - the Vic is undoubtably modern, but broken up so it better matches the existing pattern of the streetscape.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 1:17 PM
mleblanc mleblanc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 222
Walked by this one yesterday. The massing feels so off compaired to the rest of the neighbourhood. Maybe I'll be better once the tower on the corner of Brunswick/Cogswell goes up or the Staples gets redeveloped but in its current state it just feels... weird for the neighbourhood, despite being so close to "downtown".
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:34 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.