HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Staff are recommending approval of the bonus zoning agreement that is going before Regional Council on Tuesday;

11.1.5 Case 19156 – Incentive or Bonus Zoning Agreement – Mixed-Use Development at 5268 and 5262 Sackville Street and 1593 Market Street, Halifax (2.4 Mb)
The link doesn't work:
Quote:
404 Page Not Found
The page you are looking for has moved or no longer exists.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 4:16 PM
armchairitect

the march 2015 issue of the HTNS newsletter has a brief History of the Building.

http://htns.ca/pdf_Griffin/2015/GRIF...015.colour.pdf

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
The link doesn't work:
All good now! Just a minor typo

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
All good now! Just a minor typo
Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
the march 2015 issue of the HTNS newsletter has a brief History of the Building.

http://htns.ca/pdf_Griffin/2015/GRIF...015.colour.pdf
Thanks for that, really interesting read. I had no idea that it was once an Auburn dealership! They were once one of the premium automobile brands that unfortunately didn't survive the depression era. I'm wondering where they did their service, unless it was on the property that was last occupied by Taz.

Kinda makes me feel bad that they are only saving the façade now, but of course I'll get over it as I have no choice...

Source: http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati.../dirindex.html

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 9:29 AM
Fizzix geek

That thing is awesome. Looks like something from Dick Tracy!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post

That thing is awesome. Looks like something from Dick Tracy!
One of my favourite eras of industrial design. It's interesting how the style of the automobile followed along with other optimistic styling/architectural trends of the era, including skyscrapers such as the Chrysler building in NYC.

http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/..._feature1.html

I'm wondering if any photos of when The Dillon was an Auburn dealer are floating around out there...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 10:31 PM

Some activity on site today!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 11:54 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Nice to see. I hope something similar happens with the other brick buildings nearby. A few of them have relatively small footprints that are surrounded by surface parking. They'd look great with some small additions. Maybe in a few years this part of town will feel evenly built out in the same way that the streets are below Barrington and north of Sackville.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Nice to see. I hope something similar happens with the other brick buildings nearby. A few of them have relatively small footprints that are surrounded by surface parking. They'd look great with some small additions. Maybe in a few years this part of town will feel evenly built out in the same way that the streets are below Barrington and north of Sackville.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
NSCAD has been talking about selling the one they have for a while

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
NSCAD has been talking about selling the one they have for a while
They should. They're very indebted and should consolidate their holdings. Silly for them to own prime properties all over the city and while not actually able to afford to maintain them.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 4:41 AM

Slight irony - that's the film school.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
They should. They're very indebted and should consolidate their holdings. Silly for them to own prime properties all over the city and while not actually able to afford to maintain them.
Much as I'm a supporter of NSCAD, I have to agree. The Academy Building looks rough, and their portion of the Granville streetscape is in dodgy aesthetic shape as well, which is terrible, considering that it's the single best historical streetwall in the province (and one of the best in the country).

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Much as I'm a supporter of NSCAD, I have to agree. The Academy Building looks rough, and their portion of the Granville streetscape is in dodgy aesthetic shape as well, which is terrible, considering that it's the single best historical streetwall in the province (and one of the best in the country).
Yeah, I also support NSCAD downtown, but their awful financial situation means they're as bad as the Provincial Government at maintaining their properties.

You've nailed it -- the Granville Properties look terrible. The "Historic Properties" sign has needed a paint job since 1996.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 9:14 PM

I always thought, it was supposed to look that way for historic purposes.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 12:55 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Yeah, I also support NSCAD downtown, but their awful financial situation means they're as bad as the Provincial Government at maintaining their properties.

You've nailed it -- the Granville Properties look terrible. The "Historic Properties" sign has needed a paint job since 1996.
One of the big reasons they are in financial trouble is what they pay in real property costs. Maintenance for the old buildings, but also the mortgage on the seaport building.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
One of the big reasons they are in financial trouble is what they pay in real property costs. Maintenance for the old buildings, but also the mortgage on the seaport building.
The move to the seaport was a very bad plan, but the NSCAD president at the time ( who was very short lived) wanted a world class location, and now they can hardly keep afloat.

http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/the-t...nt?oid=2762138

Last edited by JET; Aug 6, 2015 at 1:33 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 2:33 PM

I'm a big supporter of our universities (I work for one) but post-secondary institutions in North America are among the worst offenders for institutional over-expansion and over-building. NSCAD's over-extension of its resources across multiple properties is a classic example.

Dal's long-term plan is another: Why does a university with a slow-growing student body (i.e., almost all Canadian universities, given the country's demographics) need so much more square footage? And who's footing the bill? Taxpayers and students, mainly, especially the latter. Universities in Canada and especially the U.S. are getting so expensive, relative to the payoff they provide, that they're at real risk of being spurned in favour of vocational schools. Or in favour of nothing at all. They're at risk of rendering themselves obsolete to a huge portion of the public who simply will be unable to access them.

But, every new universty president wants to come in and leave his or her mark with a signature building or plan, of some kind. My alma mater, Ryerson University, is going through this right now and it's dismaying to see it trying to become some sort of U of T-lite.

Anyway, blah blah, it's too bad NSCAD can't simpy confine itself to properties it can take care of and focus on curriculum and what it does well.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 11:19 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth