HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Likewise, I was half joking as well, and I agree that you wouldn't have to drive very much if you lived there. Regarding groceries, as far as I know nothing of the sort has moved to Scotia Square (though it would be nice), but Pete's is closeby (Pete's is now owned by Sobeys btw), so residents could get most of their grocery needs there I think. There is the Superstore down by the train station, but that would be a long way to go carrying groceries, unless you have some decent saddlebags on your bicycle.

That said, there were many people of my grandparents' generation who probably never ventured any further than 10 km from their home, but for many of us not leaving our neighborhood feels very confining, and thus venturing out with the car or other long-distance-capable conveyance is pretty much a must on occasion. As mentioned, however, it probably wouldn't be during rush hours for the most part.
There were reports last month that Newfoundland based grocery chain Coleman's was opening a small grocery store in the Maple. Coleman's does quite well competing with Sobey's and Dominion (Superstore) in NF so this would appear to be a first foray into the Nova Scotia market for them. Because it is in the Maple and reported as small I would assume that it will be along the lines of a Pete's store or the quick serve outlets that Sobey's has in other cities rather than just a convenience store, but that's just my guess.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corker View Post
There were reports last month that Newfoundland based grocery chain Coleman's was opening a small grocery store in the Maple. Coleman's does quite well competing with Sobey's and Dominion (Superstore) in NF so this would appear to be a first foray into the Nova Scotia market for them. Because it is in the Maple and reported as small I would assume that it will be along the lines of a Pete's store or the quick serve outlets that Sobey's has in other cities rather than just a convenience store, but that's just my guess.
Very interesting. Looks like it could be a good way to break into the NS market, if that is their intention. A small sized store to test the market in a somewhat visible location.

I wonder if being in a new downtown condo might help create the reputation of being a more premium brand, which could be advantageous if they hope to proliferate in Halifax.

Thanks for the info!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
... if people don't move here they will move somewhere else in the metro area. Most of the alternatives to a development like this are more suburban and car-oriented. If you are worried about cars on the peninsula, encouraging people to live in the suburbs is probably not a great strategy.
I hadn't thought of it this way before. This really makes so much sense!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corker View Post
Yes - and Coleman's bought Belbin's recently... which is a small-format urban grocery store in St. John's and might provide a bit of a format here. http://www.belbins.com/

I'd understood that it was a member of the Coleman family that was opening the store in the Maple, but that it wasn't necessarily going to be part of the Coleman's chain or another Belbin's.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I hadn't thought of it this way before. This really makes so much sense!
Although that is with the assumption that everybody who would choose to live in the suburbs vs a downtown condo, also works downtown. If they work elsewhere, such as one of the business parks, then this argument doesn't apply.

I would be interested to see data, if it exists, on the number of people employed in downtown Halifax vs the rest of the municipality.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Likewise, I was half joking as well, and I agree that you wouldn't have to drive very much if you lived there. Regarding groceries, as far as I know nothing of the sort has moved to Scotia Square (though it would be nice), but Pete's is closeby (Pete's is now owned by Sobeys btw), so residents could get most of their grocery needs there I think. There is the Superstore down by the train station, but that would be a long way to go carrying groceries, unless you have some decent saddlebags on your bicycle.
Yeah, Pete's is basically a full-service grocery store, and it's right there. And the Sobeys on Queen street is also only eight blocks away. I think there's more grocery capacity than people think downtown, just not right square in the financial/business district.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:11 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Although that is with the assumption that everybody who would choose to live in the suburbs vs a downtown condo, also works downtown. If they work elsewhere, such as one of the business parks, then this argument doesn't apply.
Yes although they'd still generally be doing a reverse commute using lanes with a lower existing traffic burden.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Yeah, Pete's is basically a full-service grocery store, and it's right there. And the Sobeys on Queen street is also only eight blocks away. I think there's more grocery capacity than people think downtown, just not right square in the financial/business district.
The Superstore in Quinpool Center is probably almost the same distance as Sobeys is from this location. And mostly level walking.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Yes although they'd still generally be doing a reverse commute using lanes with a lower existing traffic burden.
Yes, that's true. No net negative effect on downtown traffic either way.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 6:07 PM

Forgot about the Sobeys on Queen and Superstore on Quinpool. Thanks!

If I lived in the neighborhood, though I'd be going to Pete's!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 10:49 PM

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 2:51 AM

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 4:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This is looking pretty sharp. I wonder if there's more to come on those bare concrete segments of the balconies? There are some odd-looking gaps above and below the coloured panels.

It looks like they're going to do glass canopies along the sidewalk, which is nice. There aren't enough of these in Halifax.

More generally the South Park area around the Public Gardens and Victoria Park is starting to look pretty impressive. There was a thread in the Canada section about urban parks and I had a look at a bunch of park-city interfaces around Canada and around the world (I've seen a few of these in person like Hyde Park Corner and Central Park). The Public Gardens stack up surprisingly well. This block of South Park is one of the nicest city-and-park blocks in the country, and doesn't look too bad compared to some famous ones.

One thing that stands out is the shabby utility poles (and mangled trees that got too close), which are now wedged between a gem of a park and hundreds of millions of dollars of real estate.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 11:40 AM
Closed account

Quote:
This block of South Park is one of the nicest city-and-park blocks in the country, and doesn't look too bad compared to some famous ones.
Between University and Sackville is one of my favourite stretches of city. The mature trees and high-rises along with sidewalk level retail is wonderful. Seeing the towers peek over the tree canopy from across the park makes you really feel "in" the city, kind of cosy, actually.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
There are some odd-looking gaps above and below the coloured panels.
It appears that they have intended to stagger the coloured panels, though admittedly I haven't checked the renderings to see if that's the case.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
One thing that stands out is the shabby utility poles (and mangled trees that got too close), which are now wedged between a gem of a park and hundreds of millions of dollars of real estate.
Well, much of the year you can barely even see the poles given the size of the street trees there. The poles sort of disappear.

I was on the website for the Pavilion condo part of this and it appears most of the units are sold. Only a handful are showing as available, including one rather deluxe-looking one that I would love to have but which, alas, is no doubt well out of my price range. There are no prices listed on the site so I have no idea of the range but can well imagine it is near the top for the city. Anyone know the pricing?

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Anyone know the pricing?
Viewpoint has a number of units listed. The deluxe one you are referring to is listed at a cool $895k.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 12:44 PM

AllNS had a story today about the buildings. Curve (the apartment building) is 85% leased. Pavilion has 83 condos, originally ranging in price from $300k to almost $4 million. Only six remain unsold.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 12:35 AM

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 3:10 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post

This is a great looking streetscape coming together. Would be nice to see the back streets off SGR continue to liven up like this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth