HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Stucco can work just fine if the design of the building allows for it.
I disagree. To me that's like saying the vinyl siding can work just fine if the design of the building allows for it. And besides, we're talking about an historic old brick building here. It's a shame. Not sure what other options they would have had if it's that far gone... but regardless of the reasons... it a real shame.

Last edited by Takeo; Jun 3, 2009 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 11:11 PM

I'll wait to see the new renderings and might not have to wait too long. There is a sign on the fence at the front of the building that says open house Saturday 10-2. I havn't been inside in a while; the attic is a beautiful place, but the open house might not even be in the building. Anyone hear anything? ZET

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 11:14 PM

Look at classic Italian, Spanish, English and French architecture... all made heavy use of stucco. I really couldn't imagine any other practical alternatives. Not every building can be made from stone, brick and wood aren't always appropriate finishes... so stucco it is.

Like I said, it works depending on context. Design and implementation are important. If you're talking about the average house, or an ugly plain commercial box building covered in stucco... again, blame the 60s and 70s (though I guess modern use goes back to the 40s). It definitely looks horrible there...

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Look at classic Italian, Spanish, English and French architecture... all made heavy use of stucco. I really couldn't imagine any other practical alternatives. Not every building can be made from stone, brick and wood aren't always appropriate finishes... so stucco it is.
Oh I know. And I agree. But the point is that Halifax is not Italy, England, France or New Mexico. And that building is not Italian or Spanish in style. And the "stucco" that is used around here is fake. My complaint is that we are seeing this cheap covering a lot here recently and, with the exception of fast food restaurants, most of the time it looks out of context. And it's cheap looking. So in my mind, it's no better than vinyl most of the time. Greenvale is a clear case of that. It's a brick building. That building is all about the brickwork. To cover it up with fake stucco is a shame. The building will lose all of it's dignity.

p.s. Just fyi... not a fan of Spanish architecture... I find it tacky... even the real thing. But that's just me.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 4:13 PM

Oh, I never said I thought it was appropriate for this building... I was just addressing what seemed to be a blanket statement that all stucco is bad.

Like I said, it depends on the design of the building, and use of the material. It now sounds like we're debating something we actually agree on.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 5:14 PM

Lofts at Greenvale site has removed the floorplans and has the following message:
" Please Stay Tuned for Updated Floor Plans & Rental Prices!
**COMING SOON** "

Maybe they'll have them at the open house on saturday

Re the stucco: the website has ouside elevation drawings and the one from Pine/Ochterloney sort of presents what it would look like without brick exterior, I think that it might be OK; and I live just a block away, so I want it to be done well. JET

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 7:45 PM

Open house was today. Neat to see inside again. All the inside walls are down except for the brick which will be left exposed inside. Makes sense then why the insulation and stucco will be on the outside. The plan is for the stucco to be brick colour, so might be fine. They will be adding detail that was removed over the years. Construction on the addition starts Monday with move in date in about one year. Apparently there was on old whiskey distillary in behind greenvale. News to me. ZET

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 4:04 PM

Some pics I took last friday.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 5:19 PM

Yesterday

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 11:43 AM

The old windows and frames are now all out. Quite striking. Roof next, no doubt. JET

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 11:21 PM

tried to post picture, no luck

Last edited by ZET; Jun 20, 2009 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 11:28 PM

tried to post picture, no luck

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 4:53 AM

Photo by me yesterday;

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 2:33 AM

The title of this thread should be changed to underconstruction.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 12:41 PM

The lot on the south west corner of Queen and Pine St extension (diagonally accross from Greenvale) is for sale. The sign on site refers to being suitable for 48 units. JET

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 3:24 PM

Nice. I used to take piano lessons right next to this site. I think my teacher actually owned the lot. She must finally be selling it.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 12:06 PM

white insulation is starting to go on the outside of the front of the school. The roof has been re-sheathed and the 'new' vents/cupolas are on the front of the roof, and are impressive. The detailing had been cleaned up/replaced and looks very nice. The old roof of the back section has been partially removed; must have been some issues there. I think that the stucco will be ok at the end of it all. They do seem to be taking great care with what they have. JET

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 12:11 PM

Stucco belongs in New Mexico, not Nova Scotia.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 12:41 PM

They also poured the beginings of the foundation for the addition this week.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 1:02 PM

My initial impression about the stucco was that it would be bad for this building. But, given the work and care that they are puting into the building, I will be optimistic; not my usual outlook, but I really like this building. JET

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth