HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 5:59 PM

The next step should be linking the heavily Hispanic districs (Northside, East End, Magnolia) with downtown. A metro line along Post Oak Blvd. would be a waste. Uptown/Galleria people are very car-dependent & very snobbish; they wouldn't get caught dead using public transportation.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaverryo View Post
The next step should be linking the heavily Hispanic districs (Northside, East End, Magnolia) with downtown.
That is part of the current LRT expansion.

Quote:
A metro line along Post Oak Blvd. would be a waste. Uptown/Galleria people are very car-dependent & very snobbish; they wouldn't get caught dead using public transportation.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 1:02 AM
reticulating splines

I suppose I see the point about Richmond.

Rail couldn't come soon enough for the sprawled, autocentric hellhole that Houston's west side is.

A friend of mine who's now in Austin used to live on Westheimer around Gessner, and I can totally understand why he hates this city. Too bad he didn't choose a better spot.

Check out: Dayton - Columbus - DC - New Orleans - West Virginia - Annapolis - Dallas - Houston - Austin - Indianapolis - Pittsburgh

Last edited by SouthByMidwest; Jun 30, 2009 at 1:17 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaverryo View Post
The next step should be linking the heavily Hispanic districs (Northside, East End, Magnolia) with downtown. A metro line along Post Oak Blvd. would be a waste. Uptown/Galleria people are very car-dependent & very snobbish; they wouldn't get caught dead using public transportation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
That is part of the current LRT expansion.

Hate to say it, but there's a lot of truth to this stereotype, and it permeates every corner of the United States. Some people are NEVER going to use public transit... no way, no how.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
Hate to say it, but there's a lot of truth to this stereotype, and it permeates every corner of the United States. Some people are NEVER going to use public transit... no way, no how.
Uptown is an employment center, why would they not use public transportation as opposed to Downtown? I get what you are saying but I don't see the issue warranting to not proceed with the Uptown Line.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Uptown is an employment center, why would they not use public transportation as opposed to Downtown? I get what you are saying but I don't see the issue warranting to not proceed with the Uptown Line.
I didn't say that... I just stated that certain people aren't going to use public transit, and thereby implied that a poorer/inner city/minority district is likely to have higher ridership than an affluent district. I did not say or imply that a line down Post Oak "wouldn't be successful. I am certain that is will because it's linking several places of interest. But aside from that, there's little other incentive for people in more affluent areas (especially if they own a car) to want to ride the bus or the rail.

BTW... the next main candidate for a viable rail line connecting downtown and the Galleria IMO would be WASHINGTON. That place is exploding with development right now. We know it would get a healthy amount of traffic b/c it would link Downtown, the Wasthington corridor, Memorial Park and the Uptown Line.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 9:19 PM

The Washington Corridor is phase 3.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 4:50 PM

Quote:
The Washington Corridor is phase 3.
Do you have a map for phase 3?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Do you have a map for phase 3?
Sort of. There is absolutely nothing set in stone for phase 3, but here is some info that I found (pretty old info). Take it for what its worth.

http://www.ctchouston.org/informatio...pansion2.shtml

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 12:55 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

I think construction started today on the North and Southeast Lines....Any of you Houstonians can confirm this?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLove View Post
I think construction started today on the North and Southeast Lines....Any of you Houstonians can confirm this?
yes sir, yesterday there was a ground breaking ceremony for the two new rail lines

HOUSTON -- The METRORail system is expanding by adding two new lines, KPRC Local 2 reported.

Officials held a groundbreaking ceremony for new lines, which will connect the north and southeast parts of the city with downtown Houston, at Minute Maid Park on Monday.

The southeast corridor will start at Griggs Road at Long Drive and the north corridor will start at Northline Mall. Both will run into downtown Houston.

Under President Barack Obama's new budget, five light rail projects were selected nationwide to receive federal grant money. The two new lines METRORail lines are two of those projects. The north corridor and the southeast corridor will receive $150 million combined.

Earlier this year, METRO officials discussed how they plan to be sensitive when ground breaking starts, including not shutting down any traffic lanes.

Officials estimated that the project will create 60,000 jobs.
Copyright 2009 by Click2Houston.com.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLove View Post
ehh.... it's the same old shuck-n-jive ground breaking stuff that METRO always does. I wish they'd spend less money on ceremonies and more on actual construction.

But at least now, they're being honest about their time frame for the lines...

http://www.ridemetro.org/News/Releas.../07132009.aspx

Crowds Pack Union Station To Celebrate Metro’s Historic Groundbreaking Of The North And Southeast Lines
July 13, 2009

Cheers rang loudly at Union Station this morning as supporters joined METRO in celebrating the start of two momentous light-rail projects that will connect communities like never before – the North and Southeast corridors.

Traveling from the nation’s capital to the Bayou City to participate in the festivities were U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), Congressman Gene Green (D-TX), Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX) and Congressman Al Green (D-TX). Joining the delegation were Mayor Bill White and Houston City Council members, as well as METRO Board Chairman David S. Wolff and METRO Board members.

The congressional delegation echoed Chairman Wolff’s comment on the importance of the groundbreaking, indicating it will spur economic growth in the community to the tune of 60,000 direct and indirect jobs under the full $1.46 billion contract. The initial phase of the contract calls for spending $632 million and is expected to create 25,000 jobs.

Small and local businesses are expected to receive $300 million to $385 million in eligible contract work.

The speakers also honed in on the significance of $150 million set aside in President Obama’s FY2010 budget to help build the North and Southeast lines. The two rail lines were among five transit projects in the nation selected to receive funding.

The day of celebration kicked off with two separate ceremonies at the North and Southeast corridors, as well as a reception at the East End corridor. Participants from each corridor event were then transported via METRO buses to the grand finale at Union Station at Minute Maid Park.

At the North Corridor event, Chairman Wolff announced that the first work order for $121 million has officially been signed. That means initial construction on the North and Southeast lines is expected to get underway in the coming days. Activity on the East End line, which is already under construction, will increase.

All three lines – the North, Southeast and East End - are slated to be completed by 2012, and will add approximately 14 miles of light rail to METRO’s existing Main Street Red Line.

METRO’s light-rail expansion project will better connect communities and residents to jobs, health care centers, universities and more. The new light-rail lines will also give people another option to driving vehicles, helping improve the city’s air quality.

Gotta love how they downplayed the fact that the remaining two lines are no where close to being on schedule

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

Last edited by urbanactivist; Jul 14, 2009 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 5:51 PM

I am happy that these three lines are under construction now but disturbed at the perceived lack of progress on the other two. Honestly, the Uptown and University Lines are going to be providing the bulk of the riders and it's quite perplexing that these lines weren't started first.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 6:28 PM

^^ It's due to all of the protests and litigation that are tied up within the University Line. These two don't have as many dissenters.

Of course virtuall all of the lawsuits for these projects could be fixed if we just decided to mimic our neighbors to the immediate northwest (and do grade separation!!!).

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 10:34 PM
Ya Dig!!

So what is the progress on the Uptown and University line? I know the University line was predicted to be the most successful line if built but it looks like the protests are hindering this like you said urbanactivist. How far along is it?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 5:37 PM
Administrator

Any update on this project?

Someone should make a nice thread for Houston out in the transport forum. That forum is pretty busy these days, and I'm sure that a Houston thread would get plenty of traffic, and be appreciated by many people.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 6:02 AM
Dryer lint inspector

^ no, it's been pretty quiet lately. i'm sure things will pick up after the mayoral elections this fall.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral