HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Might as well do more taggings all over while the whole town is sleeping.

^^^

Interesting that you excluded the date when you quoted that pic of mine. That's from about three and a half years ago.

Nov.21 '16, my pic

Including the date is important. The way you present it makes people think that's the way it looks now.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Thinking long term it's probably good prep for any natural disasters.
Agreed.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
^^^

Interesting that you excluded the date when you quoted that pic of mine. That's from about three and a half years ago.

Nov.21 '16, my pic

Including the date is important. The way you present it makes people think that's the way it looks now.
WOW, that was so wrong of VIN to have used your '16 picture. An outright lie on this one huh?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 7:11 AM

I'm outta here.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 2:41 PM

I am surprised that the building could only accommodate under 300 hospital beds. I have been there often and it feels like a fairly large convention center to me.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I am surprised that the building could only accommodate under 300 hospital beds. I have been there often and it feels like a fairly large convention center to me.
It's just the downstairs exhibition hall that's being converted to a hospital. The majority of the space in the convention centre is in ballrooms, breakout rooms, and those massive corridors, foyers, and anterooms. I could absolutely see the East Convention Centre being utilized as well. Furthermore, hospitals have a lot fewer beds than one might expect. VGH is physically massive, one of the largest in the country, but it still only has on the order of a thousand beds of all types.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
It's just the downstairs exhibition hall that's being converted to a hospital. The majority of the space in the convention centre is in ballrooms, breakout rooms, and those massive corridors, foyers, and anterooms. I could absolutely see the East Convention Centre being utilized as well. Furthermore, hospitals have a lot fewer beds than one might expect. VGH is physically massive, one of the largest in the country, but it still only has on the order of a thousand beds of all types.
To be clear, while the hospital setup is being worked on now, this is a long way from being needed in the immediate future. To quote Health Minister Adrian Dix "There are 4,233 empty hospital beds. So this is creating even more capacity than that, and to do that you have to prepare in advance. You can't decide two days from now you need a temporary hospital and put that together," [source].

If there was a huge spike in cases, the Province now have additional facilities available here, and in Royal Columbian, which would be used for recovering non-Covid patients, away from the main areas of the hospitals that would be dealing with Covid patients. They could add even more capacity, but in BC the authorities - and the public response - seem to be doing pretty well so far at keeping new transmissions and the numbers of new cases requiring hospital care down.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
To be clear, while the hospital setup is being worked on now, this is a long way from being needed in the immediate future. To quote Health Minister Adrian Dix "There are 4,233 empty hospital beds. So this is creating even more capacity than that, and to do that you have to prepare in advance. You can't decide two days from now you need a temporary hospital and put that together," [source].

If there was a huge spike in cases, the Province now have additional facilities available here, and in Royal Columbian, which would be used for recovering non-Covid patients, away from the main areas of the hospitals that would be dealing with Covid patients. They could add even more capacity, but in BC the authorities - and the public response - seem to be doing pretty well so far at keeping new transmissions and the numbers of new cases requiring hospital care down.
Great point.

This is what leadership looks like, planning for an eventuality that is low probability but incredibly high risk.

BC NDP has done extremely well during this crisis, we should all be thankful for how they have managed through this time.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
It's just a preliminary setup. We are actually starting at around 170. When fully built out, around 1/3 of the large space will actually be "beds". There's all kinds of other space for staff, supplies, PPE don/doff areas, etc.

The next step would be army style cots we are seeing set up in NYC's central park.

There's all kinds of community space that is empty right now. VCC was ideal for location and facilities for this. VCC will provide laundry and food(!) services.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranvancan View Post
WOW, that was so wrong of VIN to have used your '16 picture. An outright lie on this one huh?
I never knew getting angry at vandalism has to be only at the present. That's more than being stupid.

TBH, I didn't even notice that was an old photo, although knowing that still does not make be less offended at the ugly tagging.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
Great point.

This is what leadership looks like, planning for an eventuality that is low probability but incredibly high risk.

BC NDP has done extremely well during this crisis, we should all be thankful for how they have managed through this time.
It’s a good measure to have in place for potential 2nd and 3rd waves later this year or next as well, which could be worse.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 6:32 PM
life in the present

New mobile / public art piece on the northwest corner of the convention centre seawall.

Photos by me.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver