HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Excellent sleuthing, riichkay. .. Thank you.

re: Clara Barton Hospital

It all gets a bit more confusing because there appears to have been a Deaconess Home on the corner of Sunset and Custer that was being turned into a hospital in 1907.

Los Angeles Herald - March 14, 1907

The Plot Thickens.

I just found this earlier article (from March 9, 1904) that places the Deaconess Home at the corner of Custer and Bellevue Ave.

Los Angeles Herald

I wonder which corner is the correct one. . . .. Sunset Blvd. and Custer - or - Custer and Bellevue?
(of course this is an entirely different issue from the Clara Barton / Deanconess Hospital downtown at 447 S. Olive Street)

Say Goodnight, Gracie.
A similar place for homeless young women was opened on Clay Street in same years-- per a notice in L.A. Times pages

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 5:15 AM

Quote:

It all gets a bit more confusing because there appears to have been a Deaconess Home on the corner of Sunset and Custer that was being turned into a hospital in 1907.

I just found this earlier article (from March 9, 1904) that places the Deaconess Home at the corner of Custer and Bellevue Ave.

I wonder which corner is the correct one. . . .. Sunset Blvd. and Custer - or - Custer and Bellevue?

The Deaconess Home/Hospital was at the corner of Sunset and Custer.

loc.gov - Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Los Angeles 1906

A picture from back in the thread.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 7:20 PM

Excellent! Thanks Noir Noir.

Here's a curious photograph I just saw on eBay.

"VINTAGE PHOTOGRAPH SIGNS MAGNETIC HILL LONG BEACH LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA PHOTO"

eBay

So is this one of those 'Magnetic Hills' that supposedly defies gravity or just a normal street? (on a hill)

I vaguely recall watching a video of a so called 'magnetic hill' in one of the cemeteries in Los Angeles. ..Does this sound familiar to anyone or am I hallucinating?

UPDATE:

I decided to include a close-up of the buildings at the bottom of the hill.

DETAIL

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 17, 2024 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 8:10 PM

Thanks for sharing this pic. of the Clara Barton Hospital, odinthor.

ODINTHOR COLLECTION

Old Posted Today, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Here's a curious photograph I just saw on eBay.

"VINTAGE PHOTOGRAPH SIGNS MAGNETIC HILL LONG BEACH LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA PHOTO"

eBay

So is this one of those 'Magnetic Hills' that supposedly defies gravity or just a normal street? (on a hill)

I vaguely recall watching a video of a so called 'magnetic hill' in one of the cemeteries in Los Angeles. ..Does this sound familiar to anyone or am I hallucinating?

Google Books

This piece does not name the the street, but it matches another description which says it is St. Ives Dr. The straight stretch between Doheny Dr. and the sharp left turn is about 200 feet, like the description says. I can't match any buildings, though.

Another description of Hollywood's Magnetic Hill, which includes a transcription of the sign being read by Sherlock in the above graphic.

Last edited by Mackerm; Today at 6:25 AM.

Old Posted Today, 7:12 PM

These two aerial photos were posted in 2014 by HossC, HERE.

The intersection of Crescent Heights Blvd. and Fountain Ave. showing the Dustin Farnum (sometimes written as Farnham) house on the southeast corner, which was the Hollywood Guild and Canteen for a period of years in the '40s.

The 1952 aerial was blurry, so HossC posted this 1972 aerial showing the same replacement buildings that were in the 1952 aerial.

There is a scene in the film A Star is Born, using this apartment building as a location where Judy Garland lives, the Oleander Arms. I posted a night time screencap of that in 2014 as well.

I had only ever heard of that apartment building being called the Oleander Arms, so I thought, perhaps, that was the actual name of the place. Perhaps not.

In a recent post on J.H. Graham's informative site, HERE, it's noted that the Hollywood Guild Canteen had an auction of its furnishings on 10/26/48 and officially closed on October 27. The new owner was W.E. Clark and he had that whole area demolished almost immediately. He developed the property with a 64-unit colonial-style apartment complex known as the Greenbriar Apartments. It opened on August 29, 1949. [Less than a year later!]

J.H.Graham/WWII

This is the first I've heard of the name "Greenbriar Apartments." Searches don't offer much further information about that place or reveal any other photos, nor indicate the name may have been changed for the film a few years later.

Also: At one point I mentioned on NLA that, unless I'm utterly confused, I remember TV news back in 1983 when they'd restored the A Star is Born film and having new showings of it, that there was a successful effort to actually save/move this apartment building, or at least a part of it, that was used in the film. I believe there was footage of them moving it. In 1985 the new apartment complex built there opened, seen in the aerial below from HossC from the same link at the start, above.

Back when making these original posts about the location I'd tried searching for ANY information to verify these memories and came up with nothing about it anywhere.

Maybe, as Patsy Cline sang, "I'm "

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos